• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Watching the replay, a lot of that was a failure to get forwards there for an accurate clean out. Next week we should start a bit closer to the ruck and make some metres before just chucking it to Folau.
I've been beating this drum. A lot of banging on from the same empty vessels on the blog comments about needing a pilferer for our deficiencies, when this was the issue, not our defensive breakdown work.
McKenzie on coach-mike wanted the close metres made too.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've been beating this drum. A lot of banging on from the same empty vessels on the blog comments about needing a pilferer for our deficiencies, when this was the issue, not our defensive breakdown work.

We will need closer in play against the Bokke and ABs if we want to win. Physically we have to bash them around the ruck and cover our ball if we want to go forward.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I also agree that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a wasted resource on the wing. I think it would be prudent to have a look and see whether Horne or McCabe (shoulder permitting) can play the game Link wants from his wingers. We largely know what we will get from Tevita at 13 and if there is to be any experimenting, that's what I want to know.

I would not be in favour of any other changes for changes sake. Leave everyone else where they are, other than bringing Palu back to start if his ankle has settled, his absence was keenly felt in the first 30 mins of last nights game.

The bench to stay as is aside from Tevita being on the bench and the other bloke in the XV.

We need to win, simple as that. Winning 7 in a row would be a cool piece of history but winning a game where nothing but pride is really on the line and backing up a physical grinding effort with a good performance are things that this Wallaby team must learn to do.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
If we pick AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 then we have 2 small centres and that worked out horribly for us in the period 2011-13. Furthermore if you replace AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with another smallish winger like Horne/McCabe then you lose even more punch.

I said this on the other thread last week and I'll say it again - Kuridrani is a solid performer, makes dominant tackles and doesn't fuck up often. This is the most functional center pairing the wallabies have had since Mortlock retired.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I would bring Sio and Skelton onto the bench. Start Higginbotham, and pull him if his work rate isn't high enough.

Nathan's

Frank Nicholson (4)
The only position I would want to change following last night's match would be Kuridrani at 13, if only we had Godwin to bring in - there are not to many other options to bring into 13, apart from AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and then bring someone like McCabe onto the wing. It's hard to nominate any changes needed because we kicked so much ball away - Folau needed more of it. Genia is out for a weeks after being forced to have surgery on his ankle, but I agree that we do need another replacement for Phipps, he's not good enough - perhaps Burgess is an option? At least he will have a bit more experience.

Foley has been playing well and I have been most impressed, however, I was very surprised that To'omua wasn't picked in the initial squad for someone to act as a 10.

Judging by the rankings, I'm surprised people have White so low - yes he didn't play too well in the first half and his goal-kicking was pretty poor but his passing was spot on, and he was always at the ruck wanting the quick ball, yelling at the forwards. He took control in the second half with a much better improvement in our tactical kicking and that played a huge role in camping the French down in their territory. He also got us out of trouble with his well placed kicks. To'omua, I felt, was also fantastic in defence.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think there should be any unforced changes to the starting side aside from Palu coming back in if fit............

It would be a different story if we'd given the French another flogging, but after last night we need to work on some improvements..........

Hopefully we'll see an improvement in our attack against a tougher opposition......... could make for a cracking match..........

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I wouldn't be changing anything in that backline - Kuridrani had limited opportunities after all and that isn't his fault.

NONE of our backs can be castigated for our forwards not dominating the breakdown like they did last week. McKenzie will be putting a rocket up them this week about smashing it up and covering the ball in close, then going wide when we deserve to.

Higginbotham is NOT the kind of player for that heavy work. He is ideal when it breaks up a little, but you need someone like McCalman or Palu there. I'd almost be tempted to start Skelton over Horwill, who just doesn't have the physical impact he had last year despite playing reasonably.

Anyone peddling "this player's fault" is a cretin. The whole team need to lift, and this romantic view that we should have pilfered more ball fails to reference the fact we got some ruck penalties - particularly at key moments - in our favour as well.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If we pick AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 then we have 2 small centres and that worked out horribly for us in the period 2011-13. Furthermore if you replace AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with another smallish winger like Horne/McCabe then you lose even more punch.

I said this on the other thread last week and I'll say it again - Kuridrani is a solid performer, makes dominant tackles and doesn't fuck up often. This is the most functional center pairing the wallabies have had since Mortlock retired.

Size only matters if you are as good in other areas as the next option. Now that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is passing, he beats Kurindrani in many areas:

- overall defence
- hands/ball security
- running lines and ability to make a break

Only maybe down on:

- dominant defense
- crash ball

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Leave the backline as is. In fact I'd be minded to leave the team exactly the same if it wasn't for the fact that we are not going to get many better opportunities to give our greener players test match experience before the world cup.

With that in mind I think now is a good time to see what kind of impact Skelton can give us off the bench. I'd also like to see Sio given some time to scrummage against a strong northern hemisphere scrum to help him develop before the world cup.

I'd rest Palu. We knows what he offers.

I'd like to see the likes of Charles and Higgers given more time. I'd consider bringing Charles in to start and letting TPN come off the bench, again only in an exercise of giving Charles more game time (we will need to rely on him at points during the season).

1.Slipper
2.TPN
3.Kepu
4.Simo
5.Horwill
6.Fardy
7.Hooper
8.McCallman
9.White
10.Foley
11.Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau

16.Charles (to come on at halftime)
17. Sio (rotation)
18.Weeks
19. Skelton
20. Higgers
21. Phipps
22. Beale
23. Horne (rotation)

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
It's probably already been said and I'm just blind but Genia is out for 8 weeks with an ankle injury.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
People want to replace Kuridrani at 13? That'll do me.

To'omua/Kuridrani will be the best centre combination at the WC next year.
I really don't understand the love that Kuridrani gets sometimes, all he really is a big rig with a palm. He's not particularly dangerous or elusive with the ball in hand.

I'd be interested to see Waratahs midfield starting the next game (10/12/13) to see how they handle the increased intensity of internationals and playing behind a forward pack that's not dominant.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
According to the stats AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is 98kg, Kuridrani is 102kg, so I don't know if the size agreement stacks up.

I don't dislike Kuridrani at all as a player, I just think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a better one. Once we get the likes of Tomane back and Speight eligible, we no longer need AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing, and I would select him at 13 ahead of Kuridrani. For those of you who disagree, that's fine, it's just my opinion.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The selection of 13 will become more difficult when the likes of Speight and Tomane become available, but for the time being its a moot point until the Rugby Championship begins. I don't think there is a big difference whether you play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 or 14, he manages to inject himself in either position. right now I'm liking Kuridrani at 13.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Anybody who is willing to emulate the first test and run a line.

That was totally lacking.

Yeah the frogs pitched up in the forwards but that can't be the only reason for throwing all creativity out the window. I barely saw an attempt too run a move brining Folau into the line either.

It was very odd to watch.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

That coach mic was a rippa. Very good insight but Link must be super human to watch his language. Every coach I have ever played under tends to use the word "fuck" very frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.