• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
That coach mic was a rippa. Very good insight but Link must be super human to watch his language. Every coach I have ever played under tends to use the word "fuck" very frequently.
Thought it was a great insight and hope it goes on - am sure it is heavily monitored to ensure no critical team plans or sour language gets through

Would love to see a mic on Chiek, but I get the feeling that wouldn't be allowed to be shown during prime time.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Thought it was a great insight and hope it goes on - am sure it is heavily monitored to ensure no critical team plans or sour language gets through

Yeh at the time i was thinking about this. I wonder whether McKenzie had the sign off on what blurbs we actually heard, or whether someone from foxsports had the final say and perhaps had a specific set of rules from Link as to what he didnt want them to air.

The comments they aired were interesting but more just when Link would have an observation of the play such as "we're too lateral" or "we're to high in the scrums" or "lets speed things up". What he didn't hearing was Link talk about team tactics and set plays. Although in this game it was pretty clear that both teams had the same tactic (i.e. play it up the other end) even Link admitted that in the half time interview

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

Would love to see a mic on Chiek, but I get the feeling that wouldn't be allowed to be shown during prime time.

Definitely not if it's made of glass

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Anybody who is willing to emulate the first test and run a line.

That was totally lacking.

Yeah the frogs pitched up in the forwards but that can't be the only reason for throwing all creativity out the window. I barely saw an attempt too run a move brining Folau into the line either.

It was very odd to watch.

Thats the thing. The only bloke I saw running a good line was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) after he was moved to 13.

Maybe Cummins did it once as well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thats the thing. The only bloke I saw running a good line was AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) after he was moved to 13.

Maybe Cummins did it once as well.

I'd like to see To'omua doing it as well. He needs to use his running game more at 12.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Ticket sales look alright, Category C is sold out, single seats in Category A & when you go to buy "best available" they're Category B up in the grand stand.....I hope it sells out.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Yeh at the time i was thinking about this. I wonder whether McKenzie had the sign off on what blurbs we actually heard, or whether someone from foxsports had the final say and perhaps had a specific set of rules from Link as to what he didnt want them to air.

The comments they aired were interesting but more just when Link would have an observation of the play such as "we're too lateral" or "we're to high in the scrums" or "lets speed things up". What he didn't hearing was Link talk about team tactics and set plays. Although in this game it was pretty clear that both teams had the same tactic (i.e. play it up the other end) even Link admitted that in the half time interview

Apparently someone at the ARU is clearing everything first. The agreement is nothing tactical -- so nothing about subs, injuries, set piece moves, game plan, etc. So I think it will always be observational.

I liked it. As they fine tune it, it could become a nice little feature.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I hope the same side is picked unless injury or Palu returns.

I also hope that Link has a a little chat with the good gentleman coaching them Brumbies and tells them he wants Lilo and To'omua switched. Don't expect anything to happen so close to the finals unfortunately. Dare say it couldn't hurt having had To'omua/Kuridrani familiar with each other already in the centres and I am sure White/Lilo would have had a few runs together.

Sorry Foley fans. When Cooper is back he is gone from the 23 as Beale provides a better option on the bench.

Anyway, got ahead of myself a bit there. The players won't be making the mistake and will get up by 13 in this one.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I hope the same side is picked unless injury or Palu returns.

I also hope that Link has a a little chat with the good gentleman coaching them Brumbies and tells them he wants Lilo and To'omua switched. Don't expect anything to happen so close to the finals unfortunately. Dare say it couldn't hurt having had To'omua/Kuridrani familiar with each other already in the centres and I am sure White/Lilo would have had a few runs together.

Sorry Foley fans. When Cooper is back he is gone from the 23 as Beale provides a better option on the bench.

Anyway, got ahead of myself a bit there. The players won't be making the mistake and will get up by 13 in this one.
Quade may well be back, but in all likelihood that's next year as I doubt he'll be ready for Test rugby by EOYT. There are about 13 more Tests this year, so MUCH can change in that time as to who is good, fit, firing or so on. That's too far down the track to safely know what's what. I think for Quade and Oz rugby, a total recovery and excellent pre-season is mandatory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Given that our highest priority should be the preparation for the RC upcoming, my team would be:
1. Slipper 2. Charles 3. Kepu Reasoning: With Moore crocked we have to give Charles serious time to get him test experience. TPN will be in 16, and can cover any disasters.
4. Simmons 5. Skelton Reasoning: Horwill on the bench can cover if Skelton is out of his depth. We need to know how he will go in a test.
6. Fardy 7.Hooper 8. McCalman
9. White 10. Foley
12. To'omua 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) Reasoning: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) runs better lines and passes more than Kuridrani this year. His Tahs form has been exceptional, Kuridrani has only been good.
11. Cummins 15. Izzy 14. Horne I assume McCabe's shoulder injury will put him out of contention.

16. TPN (see above). He will be needed to guide Sio and Weeks while they are on.
17. Sio Reasoning: He needs a run before the RC starts to see how he scrummages against a good international THP.
18. Weeks (Needs longer on the field to see how he goes)
19. Horwill
20. Jones
21. Palu Reasoning: If fit we need his impact and reportedly his injury only required a week's recovery.
22. Phipps (needs longer this week)
23. Beale

Yes its a 7:2 split, but we need to look at our forward options with Carter injured (ankle syndesmosis is notoriously unpredictable for healing times). Plus our breakdown performance was less than stellar and we need to be able to inject more freshness if required this week. Our backline players are very flexible, especially Beale and Horne/McCabe.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Dunno, @Hawko, it's a tough call on changing the team. If we'd put in a good display on Saturday, it would be easier to make changes of a developmental nature. On balance, I think I'd prefer to see minimal changes.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With the wobs struggling to get over the advantage line, if Palu doesn't start I can see, Skelton on the bench. As for jumpers Simmons, Fardy & Higgers at the back end would be ample options

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We struggled for both go forward and aggressiveness and accuracy at the breakdown. I thought we particularly missed Palu.

I'd imagine that Palu will come straight back in if healthy otherwise I agree with giving Skelton a crack. There was something amiss with the balance in the forward pack on Saturday night and they couldn't get on top of a greatly improved French pack.

Any changes this week need to be with a view of improving the deficiencies from Saturday night of which there were plenty.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I doubt there'll be any changes to the back line. If Foley struggles again, we might see Beale even earlier.

T

Train Without a Station

In my view Beale coming on didn't fix the issue of Foley struggling. We just had Beale running sideways instead. France came to play in the pigs and we struggled for go forward. Did we play bad in that regard? Or did they just play well?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sio must have run over a chinaman. Would have thought he would have got the bench spot in Test 1 and 2 . Hopefully this time.

We MUST win the third test to keep the momentum. Therefore best team to be picked.

Would like to see Skelton get blooded for 20 minutes. Horwill only OK last week and Jones should get a start.

White's position cemented with Genia now out.

Think the only real starting position that may be looked at is 10. Maybe Beale gets his shot and Foley to the bench.

T

Train Without a Station

Jones showed nothing in his appearance off the bench to say he should start over Horwill. It was a small cameo in his debut though, so I would certainly not hold it against him. If you were looking for a reason to drop Horwill you could find it, if you were looking for one to keep him you could too.

T

Train Without a Station

If McCabe was one of those 2 it's not the worst option in the world.

To'omua covers 10, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) covers 13 & 15, McCabe covers 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.

The only change that would be detrimental to attack would be McCabe or AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15, and you are only going to make that change in case of injury anyway, in which case you still have quality cover with good experience playing there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
In my view Beale coming on didn't fix the issue of Foley struggling. We just had Beale running sideways instead. France came to play in the pigs and we struggled for go forward. Did we play bad in that regard? Or did they just play well?

As soon as Beale runs in any direction besides directly straight he gets accused of this.

There was was run he made that created an opportunity on the left side of the field where he did run a diagonal line, but in doing so he drew in the outside defenders who were covering AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Cummins from memory.

Clearly you don't want players running straight across field, but it's a bit simplistic to suggest that all Beale did was run sideways. I think our attack looked far more threatening when he was on the field. In the two tests he's provided some spark off the bench which is exactly what we want from him. He suits that role and in two limited opportunities has done a pretty good job of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.