• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Saturday 16th June, 8.00pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
By the same token, if the referee sees the Irish player interfere with the ball whilst Phipps is picking it up and the Wallabies are on attack then I think the yellow card is the correct decision.

I don't like the TMO intervening then though. It's taking it a bit too far in my view.

The previous two yellow cards in the game were fine.
I don't disagree with the call, it had me fuming cause last weekend the exact same thing happened and Murray was penalized for decent when he told the ref to have a proper look. Consistency is what's killing me at the moment, every game of rugby I have watched this year Foley would have seem yellow for that dlibrate knock down. While I don't agree all attempted intercepts deserve yellow, that was a poor effort and he was never going to catch it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I don't disagree with the call, it had me fuming cause last weekend the exact same thing happened and Murray was penalized for decent when he told the ref to have a proper look.

I see your point but I don't agree with this statement. The two were quite different, actually.

In Brisbane, Latu was on his feet, over the ball and probably held on for a second or two too long. A penalty, sure, but I don't think it was worthy of a yellow card. The ball was then dislodged from Murray's hands by an Irish boot.

In Melbourne, Jack Mcgrath is at the bottom of the ruck, off his feet, and deliberately knocks the ball out of Phipps hands. It's a profesisonal foul with the Wallabies on attack - a YC every day of the week.

The two aren't the same.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree with this wholeheartedly.

We're searching for purity when it's impossible to achieve, and what we have now is a stop-start mess of a game.

In both a metaphorical and literal sense, the TMO needs to get back in his fucking box.

The time it takes to complete a game is ridiculous, and sucks the energy out of the occasion. I was watching the football on a second screen on Saturday night, and they showed how it's done - kick off at 8 on the dot (rugby was about 8:15), no fucking around, and even when they went upstairs it was relatively quick.

The number and frequency of stoppages is absurd in rugby. If not for unwarranted TMO involvements (each of which require 5+ replays and endless conversation), it's for injuries or subs.

Get. On. With. The. Fucking. Game.

Could not agree more with this post, Barb. One thing I have noticed though is that other rugby test matches seem to get started at the advertised time. Only seems to be the Aus tests in Aus that are delayed. Would that be at the instigation of Foxtel, maybe?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well maybe I overdid it by saying 8:15pm. My recollection of the evening isn't 100%.

But I stick with my assertion that at 8pm the soccer had kicked off, while the rugby was a bit behind.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If you were watching the game on FTA it is likely that the coverage was behind, as they turnaround the Foxtel feed and often pause and take back the action to suit their commercial needs........

Hence why the game is still going on there sometimes 10-20 minutes after it’s actually finished.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If you were watching the game on FTA it is likely that the coverage was behind, as they turnaround the Foxtel feed and often pause and take back the action to suit their commercial needs....

Hence why the game is still going on there sometimes 10-20 minutes after it’s actually finished.

Barbarian is right. Football had been going for a couple of minutes before the Wallabies kicked off. This is viewing at the pub with both playing at the same time from Foxtel.

Don't get the significance of it though.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
By the same token, if the referee sees the Irish player interfere with the ball whilst Phipps is picking it up and the Wallabies are on attack then I think the yellow card is the correct decision.

I don't like the TMO intervening then though. It's taking it a bit too far in my view.

The previous two yellow cards in the game were fine.
Was the touchie who called for the review

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Bollocks, mate. Sticking your hand out to mess with the pill when you are flat on your back at the bottom of the ruck is not 'just like every other penalty in the game' (he got a card for it, you might note) and I already explained why. It's also cheating by any actual definition and not those that you have just made up.

And I disagree with the card as well as disagreeing with your view.

The card was total nonsense.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well maybe I overdid it by saying 8:15pm. My recollection of the evening isn't 100%.

But I stick with my assertion that at 8pm the soccer had kicked off, while the rugby was a bit behind.
Nope, you were right. I remember thinking it was odd that the game hadn't started yet as i ticked over from the Soccer.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If you were watching the game on FTA it is likely that the coverage was behind, as they turnaround the Foxtel feed and often pause and take back the action to suit their commercial needs....

Slim, I'm with Barbarian on this one. I was watching on Fox, and the game did not get underway at 8pm as advertised. It was delayed by a matter of some minutes.

Have you noticed how any evening Super Rugby games in this country now start at 7.45pm when they used to be 7.30 and are still 7.30 in NZ? Fox are wringing every little bit of commercial advantage they can from all the games they cover.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Slim, I'm with Barbarian on this one. I was watching on Fox, and the game did not get underway at 8pm as advertised. It was delayed by a matter of some minutes.

Have you noticed how any evening Super Rugby games in this country now start at 7.45pm when they used to be 7.30 and are still 7.30 in NZ? Fox are wringing every little bit of commercial advantage they can from all the games they cover.

All Australian Super Rugby games are scheduled to start at 7:45 and have done since 2017. Previously they were 7:40pm.

NZ games kick off at 7:35pm local.

They are the advertised start times as per the draw.

I think the Australian games were moved back 5 minutes because in games where there was a serious injury they would run out of time to show and of the NZ post game and have to cut straight across to the Australian pre-game.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
I see an interesting correlation between TMO interactions and complaints about refereeing, but it goes the other way. The more people demand accuracy and complain about "missed" or incorrect decisions the more World Rugby increases the scope of the TMO to try and get the accuracy.
As others have stated earlier the TMO used to only be involved in the act of scoring, then there complaints about what happened in the phase before... TMO can then rule on 2 phases before.
Complaints about referees missing stuff off the ball the TMO can now "Check_Check" for foul play.
The more that perfection is demanded the more World Rugby try and find it....

Status
Not open for further replies.