• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Portugal, RWC Pool C, Mon 2 Oct 2.45AM

notdeadyet

Stan Wickham (3)
That looks a similar standard to the team Rennie put out against Italy and we know how that ended. Sure, start with some also rans but strengthen the bench to bring it home. Also, it would be better to start Gordon to keep his confidence up after some poor showings. He is likely our No 10 still, but I doubt Donaldson will ever get another run there with the Wallabies.
how does one half-like ?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Re: the kids comment, what kids are there left to play? It's not as if you're running out with 15 veterans who won't make it to to RWC 27.

With 4 (Uelese, Jorgenson, Tupou, Skelton) missing, that leaves you with only Foketi (28), Perese (26), IFL (27/28), Nonggor (22), Kemeny (24) and Gleeson (22).

If Samu is replaced its 30 to 28. If Petaia is replaced it's 23 to 26. Nic White is 33 to 28.

The backrow group is Valetini (25), McReight (24), Hooper (22) and Leota (26). Kemeny and Gleeson doesn't bring that average age down substantially.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
That looks a similar standard to the team Rennie put out against Italy and we know how that ended. Sure, start with some also rans but strengthen the bench to bring it home. Also, it would be better to start Gordon to keep his confidence up after some poor showings. He is likely our No 10 still, but I doubt Donaldson will ever get another run there with the Wallabies.
Disagree. Donaldson and Gordon just don't play enough rugby to be competitive with other International 10's and that is the fault of the way rugby is managed in Australia. I have no doubt if they both went overseas like Mack Hansen and were in a different rugby system, they would be far better than they are now. Matches teach you skills that training never will.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Disagree. Donaldson and Gordon just don't play enough rugby to be competitive with other International 10's and that is the fault of the way rugby is managed in Australia. I have no doubt if they both went overseas like Mack Hansen and were in a different rugby system, they would be far better than they are now. Matches teach you skills that training never will.
Matches with good coaching I think you mean, which I don’t think they get here. I am all for letting (sending) our talent overseas to upskill themselves (and by extension the wallabies).