• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, Bankwest (Parra), Sat 5th December

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Petaia needs to play a whole Super Rugby season next year and practice running into space rather than seeking out the man, as he does now. He invariably seeks out the man and goes for the big fend or tries a ridiculous chip kick. Where did that come from?
We really missed Matt To'omua at the back end of this campaign.
Hopefully Rodda is signed for next year and maybe Arnold for the following year so that he can return to the test arena. Agree that he and Philip would be tasty.
Gordon and FF (Folau Fainga'a) should never have been on that bench.
Disappointing finish to the year

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Deans as the experienced head with previous inside knowledge of Australian rugby, along with Razor his budding apprentice.

This would result in the total implosion of both NZ and Australian rugby and I think you know it. Are you secretly British? It would be like 2 black holes instantly collapsing in on one another.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well thank god 2020 WB season is done. Cant think of much at all to be enthused about and being left flat with another draw seems fitting.

Good riddance to WB 2020. I’ve lost the passion to exaggerate so let’s leave it with “that season was poor”.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Petaia needs to play a whole Super Rugby season next year and practice running into space rather than seeking out the man, as he does now. He invariably seeks out the man and goes for the big fend or tries a ridiculous chip kick. Where did that come from?
We really missed Matt To'omua at the back end of this campaign.
Hopefully Rodda is signed for next year and maybe Arnold for the following year so that he can return to the test arena. Agree that he and Philip would be tasty.
Gordon and FF (Folau Fainga'a) should never have been on that bench.
Disappointing finish to the year
Largely agree although I think Gordon was solid apart from the box kick out on the full. I would like to see either him or McDermott actually starting a game in tandem though.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well thank god 2020 WB season is done. Cant think of much at all to be enthused about and being left flat with another draw seems fitting.

Good riddance to WB 2020. I’ve lost the passion to exaggerate so let’s leave it with “that season was poor”.

On the other hand, we could well have had no season. Small mercies. I am glad to have had some rugby to watch. Club, Soup, and even the fumbling, stumbling, Wobblies.

Reactions: TSR

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

The fact that even you cant find much positive to say sums it up perfectly.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i dont know if anyone else has commented, but i thought the Wobs could have used the pick and go a whole lot more. i lost count of the number of times we used 3, 4, 5 players to secure an attacking ruck against literally no Argie, only to pass one off to a runner who got monstered by 2 -3 Argentine defenders behind the gain line. i think again alludes to the lack of game awareness and rugby smarts leading/playing in gold (or green last night !)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh good observation eastman, for two blokes who thrive with hole running and usually direct attack, both Paisami and Petaia were far too lateral. It’s a tough one to crack, for example if we had a ball playing 12, would he have more runners coming off him hitting holes? Maybe Paisami played too different to his usual game to be effective, and Petaia was just crap in general.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
A structured flyhalf would have fed both Paisami and Petaia better ball. The backline was in shambles. We missed To'omua on the field to direct the backline play. Harrison needs to be introduced to the bench.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We desperately need To'omua’s game smarts but the problem is he plays in the same position as the most consistent Aus back all tournament.
Not a problem. Hunter is a 13. Just drop Jordie till he learns to pass and drops that Tuqiri like step.

We looked so much better as soon as Simone came on. Rennie really fucked up throwing Simone and Lolesio to the wolves then binning them straight after

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting how the former Australia coaching staff from 2015-2017 (Cheika & Ledesma) managed to coach the Pumas to a higher placing in the Tri-Nations standings than the current Wallabies staff with Australia. How the tables have turned..

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Interesting how the former Australia coaching staff from 2015-2017 (Cheika & Ledesma) managed to coach the Pumas to a higher placing in the Tri-Nations standings than the current Wallabies staff with Australia. How the tables have turned..

The less time Chieka has with players, the better the team performs. Notice how the 2015 RWC was vastly different compared to the 2019 one when all the players saw through Chieka's screams and lack of game plan?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The less time Chieka has with players, the better the team performs. Notice how the 2015 RWC was vastly different compared to the 2019 one when all the players saw through Chieka's screams and lack of game plan?
Cheika is very good at identifying faults in a team and providing short term solutions, as well as motivating players.

I don't think he's ever demonstrated an ability to develop and build a team over a longer period of time. He gets that extra 10% out of an existing team that's needed to push them to the next level.

Cheika is still a very good coach in my opinion, except for his horrendous media presence. Jokes on us for asking him to do something he never demonstrated an ability to do.

Rennie has plenty to prove IMO. I'm not really sold entirely on the gameplan. I like the kicks in behind and playing for territory. But that needs to be combined with the ability to draw a player, pass and finish. How is that gunna happen with only 1 player on the field (JOC (James O'Connor)) and 1 player on the bench (Simone) who can pass?

The last few games felt like we were playing Warrenball without the cattle the Welsh had when that was effective.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
In a slightly different world we could be sitting on 4 wins and 2 losses. That is where we should be because we dominated enough facets of play to earn 4 wins. 4 wins would have been a pretty respectable outcome considering who we were playing. New Zealand only took 3.

There is a lot wrong, but there is also a lot of pretty reasonable stuff. Reason to be optimistic for next season.

Very much looking forward to:
- Bell developing further as a loosehead. He an Tupou could be immense in 3 years.
- One of our hookers knocking it up a notch. Bam. I'd like to see Uelese live up to his potential.
- Hosea becoming test ready.
- LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Swinton being the 6 we need but with fewer silly mistakes.
- McReight putting some more heat on Hooper.
- McDermott to learn how to do whatever he needs to do in order for Rennie to give him a proper crack.
- Lolesio or Harrison sticking their hands up a bit higher.
- To'omua being back.
- Kuridrani refinding his lost form. There was a time when he was our best back.
- Wright going from strength to strength.
- Maddocks pulling ahead of our other fullback options with a good, consistent season.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
In a slightly different world we could be sitting on 4 wins and 2 losses. That is where we should be because we dominated enough facets of play to earn 4 wins.

We are not in a different world, we are in this one. We are exactly as good as our results - last if I’m not mistaken.

1 win from 6.

The end.