• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, Bankwest (Parra), Sat 5th December

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looks like the standings of the hookers has been established. 1 - BPA, 2 - FF (Folau Fainga'a), 3 - Uelese.

Hodge at 15 will be interesting to watch. Have been calling for him to play there for a number of years now as it looks to be the spot that best suits his strengths; long kicking, good defense, and slow to start but good pace when he gets going so should suit coming into the backline. Having said that, more lately, I would have preferred to see Maddocks given a shot. Maddocks and Banks are No 15s at Super Rugby level and the best of those playing that spot as imo DHP is in decline. There is a bit of blind faith in Hodge's abilities at 15 atm.

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
Arg newspaper La Nacion is reporting that UAR have caved in to player pressure & will reinstate Matera, Petti & Socino.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...-pablo-matera-guido-petti-and-santiago-socino

Nah, confirmed they've missed out.

128954307_2276375012506513_4534856609695506907_o.jpg

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Apparently there is still a disciplinary hearing for the three players, and so if cleared they may return.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looks like the standings of the hookers has been established. 1 - BPA, 2 - FF (Folau Fainga'a), 3 - Uelese.

Hodge at 15 will be interesting to watch. Have been calling for him to play there for a number of years now as it looks to be the spot that best suits his strengths; long kicking, good defense, and slow to start but good pace when he gets going so should suit coming into the backline. Having said that, more lately, I would have preferred to see Maddocks given a shot. Maddocks and Banks are No 15s at Super Rugby level and the best of those playing that spot as imo DHP is in decline. There is a bit of blind faith in Hodge's abilities at 15 atm.
I don’t think any of the hookers have been consistent in performance. FF (Folau Fainga'a) has been up and down and both of the others have had a few stutters throwing at the lineout. BPA has been good around the park. I thought Uelese might get a run this week off the bench as he offers more impact than the other two.
Hodge is a very good player but he will not be playing 10 or 15 next season for the Rebels one would think with To'omua and DHP respectively. It’s tough for him to nail down a spot at both Super and international level. I’d have him at 15 ahead of DHP every day. Maddocks is the unknown. His chance will come. It’s been good for these young blokes to be around the squad.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
I’d have him at 15 ahead of DHP every day

It's amazing to me how DHP seems to have fallen out of favour with the GAGR crowd (and selectors if he has been back to fitness for the last couple of games). He's been out injured most of the season and has only had 1 chance for the Wallabies this season coming back from injury. In that game, he fumbled one or two high balls, but that was almost expected given the wet conditions and didn't do much else wrong at all from memory. Banks on the other hand has had numerous opportunities, where he has been OK but certainly not set the world on fire without any line breaks from memory, dropping a ball or two also in wet conditions, but importantly ruining a number of excellent attacking opportunities with very poor passing.

I think if fit, DHP is still a class player that is our best option at fullback, as he has the best all round game for that position. Outstanding positioning, excellent under the high ball, very good last man defender, has a big boot for kick returns, generally beats the first tackle and creates opportunities running at the line with the ball in both hands able to pass both ways and also offloads well. He's a smart, poised, experienced player, who provides good on-field leadership, which are all things that would seem highly beneficial for our very inexperienced backline.

He may have lost a little pace with recent injuries, but that's never been one of his major weapons anyway. While I don't mind seeing Hodge given a go there given it gives us the option of long range penalties, his positional play and ability under the high ball won't be anywhere near DHP's (or Banks) given his lack of experience in the role and would rather have DHP there every day of the week.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's amazing to me how DHP seems to have fallen out of favour with the GAGR crowd (and selectors if he has been back to fitness for the last couple of games). He's been out injured most of the season and has only had 1 chance for the Wallabies this season coming back from injury. In that game, he fumbled one or two high balls, but that was almost expected given the wet conditions and didn't do much else wrong at all from memory. Banks on the other hand has had numerous opportunities, where he has been OK but certainly not set the world on fire without any line breaks from memory, dropping a ball or two also in wet conditions, but importantly ruining a number of excellent attacking opportunities with very poor passing.

I think if fit, DHP is still a class player that is our best option at fullback, as he has the best all round game for that position. Outstanding positioning, excellent under the high ball, very good last man defender, has a big boot for kick returns, generally beats the first tackle and creates opportunities running at the line with the ball in both hands able to pass both ways and also offloads well. He's a smart, poised, experienced player, who provides good on-field leadership, which are all things that would seem highly beneficial for our very inexperienced backline.

He may have lost a little pace with recent injuries, but that's never been one of his major weapons anyway. While I don't mind seeing Hodge given a go there given it gives us the option of long range penalties, his positional play and ability under the high ball won't be anywhere near DHP's (or Banks) given his lack of experience in the role and would rather have DHP there every day of the week.

Unfortunately for DHP, like Samu, he blew his opportunity with Rennie, and to be fair it’s not the first big test he’s bottled it under the high ball..........

Banks hasn’t set the world on fire this year, but he’s been reliable.

But I think Hodge has a good opportunity to become the first choice fullback this week.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Hmmm I would have thought this game would be the best one for Tate if it's a dry track? Argies must be close to running on fumes, they're bloody big lads and it's fifthy hot. Surely that last 30 will be rife of holes and blokes falling off tackles.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It's curious the hookers have shaken out the way they have, it was the other way around under the previous coach.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hmmm I would have thought this game would be the best one for Tate if it's a dry track? Argies must be close to running on fumes, they're bloody big lads and it's fifthy hot. Surely that last 30 will be rife of holes and blokes falling off tackles.

Kicking game or no kicking game, I thought he did more than enough in the win against the AB’s to retain his spot..........

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Good team, only change I would make is Hanigan on the bench.

Interesting that JOC (James O'Connor) is lined up to play the full 80 or I guess Hodge move to 10 and Banks to 15.

This soap opera in the Argies makes me nervous (who nows how they will come out of the gates), they were threatening to strike and seems like they met half way. Not sure if the distraction will affect the preps. Also bearing in mind the poor blokes will be lining up for their 4th test in a row, has Sanchez played every minute?