• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This is a bigger problem with Alexander who is head below hips on most of his engagements, perhaps in an attempt to get under his opponent as he seems to flex down on the hit and then bend up and under his opponent. That however only works with props not prepared for it. Against the Saders and England he just got driven down and penalised.
Agreed. Don't know why they don't drop their knees an inch instead. no one said you have to pack with a perfectly horizontal back

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
i dont consider baxter a superior scrummager to mafu and in 10 years i havnt seen baxter do anything but get penalised
hes not a noted defender, doesnt support his team mates (one try in super rugby tells me this), doesnt bend the defensive line with his runs, cant hold a scrum up i fact apart from lifting in the line outs id struggle to see how u could make a highlights package of his career except for that time he caught the ball and fell over the line once. and had one (twickenam 09?) test where he was 1/3 of a dominant scrum (keeping in mind robinson was best in the world on the other side and tpn or moore was it would have had a big influence on that scrum.( ok maybe it was 2 or 3 tests we had a good scrum OUT OF 69)
i would pick mafu over baxter but if i was choosing i feel we are now in a position where we need to pick on scrummaging alone. if thats palmer then we do need to carry him. we have enough above average performers in the pack to do this.

jay-c, here is an excerpt from the match report for a certain game played at Twickenham in Nivember, 2008:

Well, I’ll be scrummed, Baxter monsters Sheridan!

I was expecting, and no doubt the England pack, its supporters and the assembled rugby journalists were too, that the referee had twigged to Al Baxter and the scrum games were up for the Wallabies. And with the scrums going backwards, there was the virtual certainty that the Wallabies would be scrummed off the field.

But as the scrums continued it became obvious that a different script was being written. The Wallaby scrum was clearly dominant, even on its own ball when England could put on an 8-man shove. And then we had four memorable: ‘Well, I’ll be scrummed moments.’

First, just after half-time, with the Wallabies holding a precarious and slightly against the run-of-play 1-point lead, the Australian pack won a tight head.

Then in the 63rd minute of play the Wallabies smashed the England pack rather like a car being pulverised into a small square of metal.

With 13 minutes of play left, and the game still in the balance, Andrew Sheridan limped off the field. He was a broken and diminished figure and any claims he might have to be England’s iconic wrecking ball were now wrecked.

I was there that day. 60 thousand Poms, collapsing into their pints. It was bodacious. Allez le Fuse!

F

Fredfreduels

He may pass, but I don't recall ever seeing it. And I've NEVER seen him step anyone. Case in point against the Rebels in Round 2, he was at full back, ran the ball back, had about 30 metres to size up the defenders who were shaping up on him, and ran straight into them, basically giving himself a concussion from the whiplash! I'm trying to find it on youtube!

Have you watched the Brumbies this year?

McCabe and Gits have been very good in the backline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHbabAGi3O4

Proof of dominant tackling, an ability to step, crashball and find the tryline.
1:16-1:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnB8Cupw4UM

Proof of him passing

F

Fredfreduels

Baxters issues are wholistic. His issues with the scrum (however hot and cold) are one part of his contribution (lack thereof) to each match he plays in. The guy just doesn't have it. He never has and never will. Yes, his scrummaging did improve this year. It took how long??? And only at S15 level???

You don't play over 50 tests for your country if you don't, "Have it". (Some troll 2011)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Alexander will be better off at TH as he's become a penalty machine on the other side...

Hasn't played a lot of TH since his incredible performances there in 2009... Only recenty did he get a few games there with the Brumbies and I thought there was some improvement...

If the coaching staff work on Jim he could get back to that 2009 form... Lets not forget that Robinson also struggled last year after a period out...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Nah, Slipper's a much better THP.

I think so too. I remember Slipper playing LHP against Castro in Italy last year. Castro bore in all day on Moore and got away with it as Slipper had nothing to push against. Not his fault but a better LHP would have known what to do to counter it.

Had Baxter suffered some equivalent fate on the TH side in that game instead of watching from home, the disapproval would have been deafening from a certain quarter. Slipper was dealt with kindly, as he should have been. He is a better THP and though Kepu regards himself as THP these days and was the best Oz no.3 in the country in Super Rugby IMO, he is probably the best fit LHP also.

Now, any future injury to Kepu will be a dire event.

Who would have thought that 12 months ago?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think so too. I remember Slipper playing LHP against Castro in Italy last year. Castro bore in all day on Moore and got away with it as Slipper had nothing to push against. Not his fault but a better LHP would have known what to do to counter it.

Had Baxter suffered some equivalent fate on the TH side in that game instead of watching from home, the disapproval would have been deafening from a certain quarter. Slipper was dealt with kindly, as he should have been. He is a better THP and though Kepu regards himself as THP these days and was the best Oz no.3 in the country in Super Rugby IMO, he is probably the best fit LHP also.

Now, any future injury to Kepu will be a dire event.

Who would have thought that 12 months ago?

Slipper at only 22 years of age of course has a long way to go.

What I read into your post is that our best front row would have 1 Kepu 2 Moore/TPN 3 Slipper? I agree. Alexander hasn't done much this year to prove he his up to it in the set piece (and he hasn't even been as effective around the park as both Kepu and Slipper have).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The problem with Alexander coming off the bench (i.e. in the team at all) is that he is too much of a penalty magnet to have contesting scrums late in tight games. The last thing you want up 2 with 15 to go is a guy who gives away penalties like candy.

H

hoges5

Tough call. Chis was what a succession of average Brumbies coaches wanted him to be. Remember he started with a few losers ahead of him called Sharpe, Vickerman, Giffin, Harrison and possibly Eales...... They wanted a big hard lock to do the ugly stuff. Sharpie had to do this for years too until he moved west.....

H

hoges5

Baxters issues are wholistic. His issues with the scrum (however hot and cold) are one part of his contribution (lack thereof) to each match he plays in. The guy just doesn't have it. He never has and never will. Yes, his scrummaging did improve this year. It took how long??? And only at S15 level???

The Fuse may not be first choice, but come off it mate! He was unfairly penalized out of int rugby by refs that were either a) too in love with kiwis to penalize them ( not confined to props, see any kiwi No.7) or b) thought that northern hemisphere rugby had to be dominant in set piece.
As a Reds supporter I am constantly amazed how many times Al is the one with the flying cover tackle or is at the bottom of a held up player over the line.......don't cast him away just yet......World Cups are won on defence

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Manu Samoa touring squad:

Forwards: Sakaria Taulafo, Mahonri Schwalger (captain), Anthony Perenise, Daniel Leo, Kane Thompson, Taiasina Tuifu'a, Maurie Fa'asavalu, George Stowers, Ti'I Paulo, Logovi'I Mulipola, Filipo Levi

Backs: Lualua Vailoaloa, Tusiata Pisi, Sailosi Tagicakibau, Seilala Mapusua, George Pisi, Alesana Tuilagi, Paul Williams, Brenton Helleur, Tasesa Lavea, Eliota F Sapolu, James So'oialo, Timoteo Iosua, Kahn Fotuali'i
Some pretty good players in there such as Tuilagi, Mapusua, Schwalger, Lavea Fotuali'i and there second rowers. It would be good if the likes of Henry Tuilagi and Census Johnstone were playing though

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
1-Zac Taulafo
2-Mahonri Schwalger(c)
3-Anthony Perenise
4-Kane Thompson
5-Daniel Leo
6-Taiasina Tuifua
7-Maurie Faasavalu
8-George Stowers
9-Kahn Fotualii
10-Tusi Pisi
11-Alex Tuilagi
12-Seilala Maposua
13-George Pisi
14-Sailosi Tagicakibau
15-Paul Williams

Reserves:
16-Ti'i Paulo
17-Census Johnston
18-Filipo Levi
19-Manaia Salavea
20-Brenton Helleur
21-Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu
22-James So'oialo

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I felt bad for Slipper that day, sometimes when an opposition front rower is boreing so much it's obvious as day but the ref won't call it there isn't much you can do.

I mean you can counter with other shifty-ness but when the ref thinks your the culprit s/he will just call you for that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom