• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies V Samoa - Test 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also made most ms per minute and ms per run, most overall ms in the forwards despite only playing 3 quarters. Also had second most tackles, no missed tackles, no turnovers, second most rucks hit.

Would suggest his stats are just as good as Mccabe's and a mile ahead of any one else. Also aside from statistics, he was one of the few uncompromising players in contact which was one of the biggest criticisms the team has faced this week.

Good to see he kept his spot. It would have been easy to think that because we got out-muscled in the backrow, Mcalman should go for Samo but the issues were clearly elsewhere.

Fair enough. Like McCabe I don't mind him being selected again, this week should be a better indicator of where he is at.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Much of the Reds success was drawn from the outstanding team dynamic they built, which resulted in them doing more with less experienced players. It's the team dynamic we need to upload to the Wallabies.

Many teams in many sports have built the same kind of dynamic in the past. It is when you instill it in outstanding players that you have spectacular results.

Very good that.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
it was pretty slippery out there last Sunday... Davies was skating had the wrong boots I recons... for a rookie poor boot choice could kill off a international career

T

tallboy

Where did I say that? I'd pick Samo in a heartbeat. Robinson is potentially a good bench choice.

But that isn't the point. Much of the Reds success was drawn from the outstanding team dynamic they built, which resulted in them doing more with less experienced players. It's the team dynamic we need to upload to the Wallabies. To argue it is exclusive to that group is just fandom. Many teams in many sports have built the same kind of dynamic in the past. It is when you instill it in outstanding players that you have spectacular results.

It is highly unlikely that Robinson is ever going to be better than Pocock, Saia than Moore or Nau, or Anthony than JOC (James O'Connor) or Horne. Many of the Reds simply aren't our best players. But some of them are: Horwill, Genia, Cooper, Ioane. And others will be in the future! But to select the Reds en masse now for the Wallabies would simply be an admission of defeat, equivalent to saying that we haven't got the smarts to instill a winning culture in all the other Wallabies.

I don't think any of that is 'hilarious', by the way. I made what I meant to be a serious post, and one I thought was complimentary to your team. Let's both agree to drop the sarcasm. :)

Incredibly well articulated Groucho and I couldn't agree more with your comments. Link showed everyone what can be done when you get the absolute best out of your players. So it only seems like common sense to me that we then try and apply the same thinking to get the absolute best out of our best players.

If only people could put this provincial bias bullshit aside when looking at what's best for our "National Side".

If people look at each player in each position assessing the key skill sets required for their position and still believe their provinces player is the best fit I'm more than happy to accept their opinion. It's when you read comments like "we should start the Reds forward pack and make the other guys prove they deserve a spot" it's just counter productive. A guy like Pocock should be the first forward picked regardless of opposition. That's no disrespect to what Beau for example or the Reds did this year it's just the reality. So it confirms what Groucho says, pick the best guys in their positions first then we try and create a culture that gets the best result for our "Country"

We are all in this together people!!!

D

daz

Do we have time for a quick group hug before the next Deans/State Bias/Fucking stupid comment is made?

:)

Moving on....

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Been busy the last week so not had a chance to "browse" but did wonder how many pages this thread would stretch. Probably would have sniggered more since the result but for this weekends "back on track" effort.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Probably would have sniggered more since the result but for this weekends "back on track" effort.

Whatty,
Just remember that the 2007 RWC Springbok side was taken right to the wire in a group match against Tonga it was only the bounce of the ball that saved the Boks from defeat.

And then given another fright from Fiji for about sixty minutes in the quarter final so it just show's that the pacific nations teams can be very dangerous.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I can imagine Cooper getting a hand on him in that try he scored down the sideline. But the end result would have been much the same.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I can imagine Cooper getting a hand on him in that try he scored down the sideline. But the end result would have been much the same.

Was it my imagination or did Giteau slow down a bit while chasing the winger. Seemed like he didn't want to have to make the tackle!

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
The winger slowed down as well before turning on the speed (I think I remember this right). So I'd say Gits was fooled a little. Possibly thought the winger was going to try and cut inside him.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Was it my imagination or did Giteau slow down a bit while chasing the winger. Seemed like he didn't want to have to make the tackle!

I think Giteau slowed down to time his leap into the tackle...also I think the big winger might have put on a goose step here and phased Giteau slightly.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
This is from SBS and their coverage of the match. It's quite funny.

[video=youtube;-OakwjciPCM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OakwjciPCM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

After seeing this I'd love to see SBS show the Rugby. The benny hill music was very appropriate too.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Henry on the loss

But the All Blacks coach felt all the attention being focused on Deans and the Wallabies' shortcomings had also detracted from the significance of Samoa's achievement.

"I thought the Samoans played bloody well, superbly actually," Henry told me. "They played the game tactically very well, they were up for it, mentally and physically, they got into the Australians at the tackle and played the game tactically very well.

"I looked at that Samoan side prior to the game and thought 'oh, this is interesting'. They haven't got enough credit. They're a good side and they played exceptionally well."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5314653/Graham-Henry-leaps-to-Robbie-Deans-defence

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Spot on, Fatprop. Although we have mostly been quick to congratulate Samoa, I think the Wallabies weren't the only ones to under-estimate the quality of the opposition. That said, the Wallabies still should have won, and they have no excuse.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
This loss is one of the least painful I can remember as it was against Samoa - they have come close to big scalps many times in the past only to fall short. They have a very talented squad, played very well in terms of game plan and with bags of passion. I hope they enjoy the win and continue to fire.

The Wallabies fell short in many areas (all of which seem to have been covered already), but I am not prepared to write any of them off in terms of future Wallaby caps. There was a lot of talent out there, they just didn't gel.

The soft underbelly problem was my main concern. Yet again I find myself wondering if a couple of overlooked players might have made the differnece - Baxter and (particularly) Waugh.

No doubt all this blooding of players has a point...I'd quite like to see some general improvement in terms of results too.

Status
Not open for further replies.