• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It is going to be interesting to see how much shape Cheika has got into this side, the best Aus sides were always very structured (when the Tahs under Cheika worked, it was very well organised (two forward pods of 3 etc. for the 9 to pick from and also the 10 in a second wave))

We may want to play fast and wide, but that really needs proper structures and that work ethic where everyone gets up and knows where they should be next.

That's a good point. I don't recall a lot of our great sides just flinging the ball around willy nilly or playing 10 man ball up the jumper footy either. There was a good balance of solid set piece, field position and running the ball when it was on (i.e. playing smart footy). It's rugby 101 really.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
10/12. Always with Cooper. I see what you're doing. You say that's why you need Pocock? :)

No.
I just love the idea of QC (Quade Cooper) and Gits marking the SA backrowers and the 101kg inside centre from turnover ball.
We'll sure see how tough France has been for Gitts.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon the Boks have a right to be confident on paper. If we do a job on them they'll have some bleak prospects for the rest of their away matches.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That's a good point. I don't recall a lot of our great sides just flinging the ball around willy nilly or playing 10 man ball up the jumper footy either. There was a good balance of solid set piece, field position and running the ball when it was on (i.e. playing smart footy). It's rugby 101 really.

Add in working their arses off to be options for that next phase ie working hard off the ball to give Genia, Cooper & Gits multiple options to hit, every phase

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Horwill is insurance for Skelton. He has the form but Kev has the experience and I dare say that is what Cheika is thinking. He is also their to control the lineout if Simmons goes down. What I want is for Skelton to go the full 80. He has done a bloody great job at getting thorough a full 80 at super rugby level but now has to turn it up a gear and go the distance at test rugby. For Arnold to be given his shot, we would need to start a more conventional locking combination to get the balance right.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I reckon the Boks have a right to be confident on paper. If we do a job on them they'll have some bleak prospects for the rest of their away matches.

It is a strong bok lineup, arguably the best available. However the wallabies usually win their first home test of the year, have an impeccable record at suncorp, and our best performances against the boks over the last 6 or 7 years were with quade at 10. The wallabies r slight favourites in my book

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It is a strong bok lineup, arguably the best available. However the wallabies usually win their first home test of the year, have an impeccable record at suncorp, and our best performances against the boks over the last 6 or 7 years were with quade at 10. The wallabies r slight favourites in my book

We lost our first Test in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
So the official ARU announcement says the following :

"The returning trio (ie Genia, Cooper and Giteau) make up three of the four total changes to the team which ran out against England at Twickenham in the final Test of the 2014 Spring Tour, with the other change being the return of Tevita Kuridrani at outside centre."

It then goes on to say :

"Saturday’s Test also marks the return of two players whose resilience and perseverance has been rewarded, with Qantas Wallabies Captain Stephen Moore returning to the starting lineup for the first time in over 12 months."

Some apparent discrepancy here? Squeaky makes it five changes, and iirc Scott Fardy didn't play the EOYT either. Are there really six changes to the starting lineup, and then another four or more on the bench?

I wonder who writes this sort of thing.

Reactions: BDA

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No.
I just love the idea of QC (Quade Cooper) and Gits marking the SA backrowers and the 101kg inside centre from turnover ball.
We'll sure see how tough France has been for Gitts.

Some posters are saying that Matt Giteau is a good defender. He tackles well, with good technique, but nearly always around the legs allowing the tackled player the opportunity to off load. I will be surprised if Saturday's test is any different.

Status
Not open for further replies.