• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
... in a vastly inferior competition. It has been demonstrated numerous times that form in Europe doesn't necessarily translate to form in Super Rugby/Test arena. So yes, he should still have to prove himself.

This has to stop. The Top 14 is not an vastly inferior competition. Most of their sides would beat the lowly teams in Super Rugby.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think it is. I watch plenty of both and the standard is higher in the Super 15. Regardless of the standard of the competition though, name a player that has been excelling in Europe that has shown equal or better form when returning to Australia?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
... in a vastly inferior competition. It has been demonstrated numerous times that form in Europe doesn't necessarily translate to form in Super Rugby/Test arena. So yes, he should still have to prove himself.

Except when SA pick half their squad with overseas based players and they still perform at Test level.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Except when SA pick half their squad with overseas based players and they still perform at Test level.

Nice segue to bring this chat back on topic! ;)

Same same but different. It could be argued that SA haven't really been performing as well as they could be at Test level for a little while now. Plus when most of your Test team is over there the point is moot.

In Australia when it's one or two blokes over there and the selection headache is between the guys playing Top 14 or the guys playing S15 then you need to consider whether the relative form of the players is comparable or whether it's inflated somewhat by playing in a weaker comp. History says it's possibly the latter.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think it is. I watch plenty of both and the standard is higher in the Super 15. Regardless of the standard of the competition though, name a player that has been excelling in Europe that has shown equal or better form when returning to Australia?

It's different. Go ask any of the players the differences and they say the Top 14 is more physical but slower.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Of course it's different. I won't disagree with that. It's still an inferior comp to the S15 though and form doesn't generally translate. But anyway, we digress, so I'll leave it there.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FWIW, 5am Saturday Toulon are playing Stade Francais in the semi. It's on Eurosport if you've got Fox and Mitchell could be up against Ioane (although he probably won't make it, he's one that hasn't performed over there).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

The big difference here is that Mitchell hasn't been playing back to back seasons.

Some of the struggles of players returning from the Top 14 are surely because of the back to back seasons rather than the Top 14 being weaker.

Mitchell will be in the same position as every Northern Hemisphere based player if he goes to the RWC.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

George Smith.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Smith was coming back from Japan, wasn't he? Success after a stint there seems more common (though still not standard), with players often suggesting it leaves them refreshed and revitalized.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Smith was coming back from Japan, wasn't he? Success after a stint there seems more common (though still not standard), with players often suggesting it leaves them refreshed and revitalized.

So an inferior competition is bad for your game and an even worse comp is good for your game? I can't keep up with the all these generalisations anymore.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Coming back better from the 'inferior' comp (particularily if the work load is lighter) is not the same as being picked based upon form in that comp.

For what it's worth I'm for taking a look at Giteau and Mitchell while we have the chance, even though I'm not sure how comparable European form is to super rugby.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I haven't been watching top 14 but it struck me that the try that Mitchell scored in the final was almost identical to two tries he scored against Argentina playing for the NSW Barbarians under Chieka in mid 2013. At least the initial line break seemed very typical of what Mitchell does when his form is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think it be quite silly not to have a look at both Gits and Mitchell in the squad for the TRC.

Easy, why have the rule at all if one of the best players in Europe over the past few years (gits) isn't considered.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Game management is one under-rated stat from Cooper. Did you see Adam Thompsons comments where he praised the young 10's who did a good job but asserted that Cooper's coming back gave the team so much more direction, Cooper consistently talks to his forwards and backs and get's them into the positions he wants. You don't notice this stuff without talking to his team mates.

It's certainly an area where he has matured quite a bit. He doesn't try to make the miracle play as often now and does a good job of bringing the other players into the game. Let's face it, we've got some real weapons out in that backline (always have really) and what we want from our 10 is to make best use of them, as well as being a running threat in his own right. I think we're in good hands with QC (Quade Cooper) and Foley.

Status
Not open for further replies.