• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks Saturday 9th Sept NIB Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Starting tight 5 were pretty good, although the scrum was never that solid and got less so.
Not sure what the structure around rucks was supposed to be in securing or protecting ball. Clearly they were not trying to contest on defensive rucks (not new) but there were some big holes around rucks all game and the Bokke got easy metres. Sloppy tactically and in execution (or non-execution). I don't know who was tasked to cover that area, but they weren't. and we didn't adapt when it was a clear problem. That's the even worse bit - it took until very late to get some better structure in the narrow channel defence. I can't fathom how Hanigan is the answer. Not yet. Maybe he will be in time when he has more physical impact, but not now. Too many ineffective contacts. Gotta get a rocket up Timani and get him playing with McMahon crazy-pills.
Starting backline was OK and looked dangerous at times - notably Beale, Speight (but he flagged a bit) and Kuridrani carried well. Hodge with some good involvements.
Folau looks a bit off in attack - not really hitting the line with any pace to make his step have any impact.
Real problems with set piece, esp scrum as we went on.
Uelese did not look at all out of place and has huge upside.
Some good, some bad, some meh. Which is a draw!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Also holy shit Hooper is amazing, he did things that weren't just extraordinary for his position but just anyone. He'll be this decade's best in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Positives: Beale excellent again while Coleman continued to show he's a class above. Uelese was strong on debut and Hodge had a good game on the wing--his boot is useful and he showed a bit in attack.

Negatives: clean out and defence around ruck as well as a general scrappiness with lots of lost opportunities.

Overall 5/10 performance--fitting for a draw

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Some observations:

The Wallabies backrow continues to be the major weakness in this side - we were bossed at the breakdown all night, Saffas made huge metres with pick and drives, Kriel turned over a swag of Wallaby ball while I'm not sure that the Wallabies even got one turnover, scrum back pedaled most of the night and especially after Simmons and Dempsey came on.

Kolesi was serially off side, including at the last play of the match.

Backline attack and defense showing improvements. Not much change needed to improve i later tests, but Folau and Foley had ordinary games. Genia was just about back to his worst level of effort; standing and looking at the ball at the back of the ruck until it gets turned over or at best put under severe pressure; very poor service at the back of the scrum.

Hodge again showed his value kicking for the sideline.

Kuridrani, Beale and Speight all had particul;arly strong games.

Coleman and Arnold are top class locks and perhaps should play more time together in matches.

Hanigan was a menace, but to his own team not the opposition. He continually interfered with the Saffa jumpers in the air, but only got pinged at the death. Could have been many more and much earlier penalties.

Dempsey was ineffectual when he came on, as was McMahon with ball in hand. Neither is anywhere near being good or strong enough to play 8 at test level.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Starting tight 5 were pretty good, although the scrum was never that solid and got less so.
Not sure what the structure around rucks was supposed to be in securing or protecting ball. Clearly they were not trying to contest on defensive rucks (not new) but there were some big holes around rucks all game and the Bokke got easy metres. Sloppy tactically and in execution (or non-execution). I don't know who was tasked to cover that area, but they weren't. and we didn't adapt when it was a clear problem. That's the even worse bit - it took until very late to get some better structure in the narrow channel defence. I can't fathom how Hanigan is the answer. Not yet. Maybe he will be in time when he has more physical impact, but not now. Too many ineffective contacts. Gotta get a rocket up Timani and get him playing with McMahon crazy-pills.
Starting backline was OK and looked dangerous at times - notably Beale, Speight (but he flagged a bit) and Kuridrani carried well. Hodge with some good involvements.
Folau looks a bit off in attack - not really hitting the line with any pace to make his step have any impact.
Real problems with set piece, esp scrum as we went on.
Uelese did not look at all out of place and has huge upside.
Some good, some bad, some meh. Which is a draw!

I've commented on Hanigan numerous times, so I won't bang on about it but I genuinely wonder if they aren't doing the wrong thing by him. He is so far out of his depth it isn't funny. No doubt they think he has potential but where is the value on him being a passenger each week.

He should be playing NRC and looking to have a big off season.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I've commented on Hanigan numerous times, so I won't bang on about it but I genuinely wonder if they aren't doing the wrong them by him. He is so far out of his depth it isn't funny. No doubt they think he has potential but where is the value on him being a passenger each week.

I agree. He's a good enough player, but he is just not ready for this level from what I am seeing. Needs. Development.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I've commented on Hanigan numerous times, so I won't bang on about it but I genuinely wonder if they aren't doing the wrong them by him. He is so far out of his depth it isn't funny. No doubt they think he has potential but where is the value on him being a passenger each week.

Granted, and I don't disagree, but what are the other options? That are match ready? Fardy - he's left the country, can still play but we may as well learn to live without him. RHP - if he was picked we'd be saying the same things about him as Ned, too light,etc. no one else comes to mind bar developing a lock, and that's probably happening in the background, Tui would be my pick.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

Yes, along with Dempsey, Rona and Simmons. Timani even if a bit out of form, which I don't necessarily hold to, must come in at 8. Rodda to replace Simmons for his extra power game. No 6 is very difficult given the two players in form were ignored and have gone elsewhere, and injuries to RHP and Hardwick leave the cupboard bare. On the strength of NRC form, I'd look to bring Holloway in at 6 to add some strength to the set piece and to offer another lineout option. Meakes on for Rona I think would offer more creativity in the attack.

EDIT : I think Matt Philip could also have something to offer at 6. Plays with good aggression, is tall (1.98m) and has some extra weight for the set piece as well (113kg). Reckon he would be a good step up from Hanigan.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Granted, and I don't disagree, but what are the other options? That are match ready? Fardy - he's left the country, can still play but we may as well learn to live without him. RHP - if he was picked we'd be saying the same things about him as Ned, too light,etc. no one else comes to mind bar developing a lock, and that's probably happening in the background, Tui would be my pick.
I'd like to see RHP given a crack. He looks more physically ready to me. But you are right - he may be benefitting from not actually being picked and so not having the chance to fail. Failing that, I would play Simmons at 6. I thought it was a silly suggestion at first, but he would be much better option than Hanigan, Dempsey or Korcyzk.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd like to see RHP given a crack. He looks more physically ready to me. But you are right - he may be benefitting from not actually being picked and so not having the chance to fail. Failing that, I would play Simmons at 6. I thought it was a silly suggestion at first, but he would be much better option than Hanigan, Dempsey or Korcyzk.
Isn't he injured currently?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's a shame when we work on things that need fixing, we forget about the other stuff.

Breakdown clearing out was average tonight and allowed the Boks to slow it down/get in the way/steal a few too easily. The catch and pass seemed too laboured tonight with players having to stop their momentum to catch.

Beale was good and seemed to lift the standard of the players around him but maybe relied on him too much.

The scrum towards the end was less than ideal too.

But a 2 points is 2 points I guess.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
It's a shame when we work on things that need fixing, we forget about the other stuff.

Breakdown clearing out was average tonight and allowed the Boks to slow it down/get in the way/steal a few too easily. The catch and pass seemed too laboured tonight with players having to stop their momentum to catch.

Beale was good and seemed to lift the standard of the players around him but maybe relied on him too much.

The scrum towards the end was less than ideal too.

But a 2 points is 2 points I guess.

Beale is Australia's best player for me. What an effort from him.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Tui or rodda if you're playing a lock there. I'm told Luke jones was worded up for the gig if he could put the work in but decided to take the $$$ overseas. Much to the dismay of his supporters here who claim he was 'overlooked'.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Tui or rodda if you're playing a lock there. I'm told Luke jones was worded up for the gig if he could put the work in but decided to take the $$$ overseas. Much to the dismay of his supporters here who claim he was 'overlooked'.
I just don't see Rodda or Tui as having the mobility to be a 6. I also thought they were both pretty inconsistent this year. Plenty of promise, but throwing them in at 6 in a test match doesn't seem logical to me. I know Simmons has been generally derided on here, and his form this year wasn't great. But he is better than the 3 6 options in the squad and, IMO, is more likely to make a fist of number 6 than Rodda or Tui. They both look natural locks to me - let them develop there.

All a moot point anyway - I doubt Cheika will go that way.

Our forward pack really let us down tonight. Woefully in the set peice, poor at the break down, slipped off tackles, poor discipline and left gaping holes in the defence line.

Status
Not open for further replies.