• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Aside from the intercepts, I thought Foley played well and the combo with quade definitely shows some promise. That said I'd much rather see the backline reshuffled with hodge at 12, Foley at 15 and folau on the wing playing a roving role a la digby. It's a more natural fit for them and It'd cut back on the amount of reshuffling in defence.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Aside from the intercepts, I thought Foley played well and the combo with quade definitely shows some promise. That said I'd much rather see the backline reshuffled with hodge at 12, Foley at 15 and folau on the wing playing a roving role a la digby. It's a more natural fit for them and It'd cut back on the amount of reshuffling in defence.
Not sure what's worse at fullback. A non kicker or a pop gun boot. Be prepared for plenty of 15m kick returns with that strategy.
If you're going to shift Izzy from full back at least do it for someone who can kick. My call would be Hodge. Others might back DHP.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hodge is a gem. I'm still not sold on Kerevi at 13 and would love to see Hodge developed here. Bruising defence and an astute mind for the game, he could be our long term 13.

Cooper showed a few times why he deserves the 10 jersey. He threw a couple of flat balls that no one else in Aus can. He also seems to have matured and has lost that bad habit he had for the last few years of throwing the ball to a team mate who was in a worse position than him to relieve pressure instead of taking the tackle.

There seems to be a change in the Wallabies attack where last night they played hot potato a few times, refusing to die with the ball. This is clearly a response to the ABs all conquering off load game as we try to emulate their style. About bloody time is all I say.

As a fan of Coleman I was excited to see him show his potential at test level. I made the call in 2015 that he would be a 60 test wallaby. But for a while Arnold seemed to go ahead in his development and I started to have my doubts. But with Cheika, Coleman will have found an ally who appreciates his abrasive style. I look forward to calling out whichever team of eastern state fluffybunnys poaches him from us now he has come onto the radar.

Etsebeth is a grub.

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)
Why do Australian teams persist in kicking the ball away in the last minute or 2 when clinging to a lead? Genia did it again last night.

A minute or 2 becomes 3 or 5 when the other team has the pill.

It absolutely drives me nuts. Hang onto the pill, pick and drive for 60-90 seconds you'll probably draw a penalty anyway and at 80.00 bang it into touch.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
I haven't watched the replay, but I couldn't help feeling that if it'd been Pocock attempting some of those Bok turnovers he would've been blown off the park. Not releasing, not supporting his own weight etc. But it's great to see a top ref allow jackalling. I was starting to think there'd been an IRB directive against it.

Also great to finally get a win, but jeez they left it open until the very end. And great to see us finally winning some kicking duels.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I agree. Few odd ones. Habana made a tackle, never released, Owens penalised us, when the Wobs claimed he never released Owens stated "14 was not the tackler". When Sio "scored" I thought Faf had his hands on the ball which was well out of the ruck for some time before he was tackled. Looked like play on to me. His communication is clear, though. Probably not his best game.

On Sio's near try - that was probably the first time he's been in space and didn't know what to do

Hands Off Seven!

Bob McCowan (2)
Overall Genia was good again last night, playing his best Rugby in years.

Cooper sparked things, Kerevi looked dangerous, Foley had a good game, I love Coleman's first 2 tests most promising lock debutante for a long time.

Pocock seems to be off the speed a bit might already be on Hols or his injury run has caught up with him, his own bar is set so high.

Douglas needs to go, to my eye his only good season of rugby was 2014.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Great to get the win. Probably confirms that there'snot much between the Wallabies, Saffas and Argentina. Just way behind the ABs, but that's no shame atm. Will be a good contest to see who runs second in TRC.

Quade was MOTM for me. Will played very good for about 60 minutes, but then lapsed into standing at the back of rucks and not clearing the ball quickly to supports, taking multiple steps sideways before passing, and in tha last 5 minutes just kicking the ball away at every opportunity. In a 6 point game, it defies logic that you'd give the ball to the opposition. Really should have been replaced by Phipps for the last 20 minutes.

Replacement fron trow again had more dominance over their opponents than the starters, but that just might be that the Saffas' starters are better than the finishers.

The better performers imo were Quade, Kerevi, DHP and Hodge in the backs, and Coleman, Hooper and Ala'alatoa in the pigs. TPN also went good except for his first lineout throw.

A standout imptovement was the combination between Quade and Kerevi. By far offered the best attacking options the Wallabies have shown for a long time. Looking good for the Reds 2017.

I think the side can still be improved, and will probably need to be, for next week. I'd go with a backline of Genia, Quade, Folau, Hodge, Kerevi, Naivalu, DHP.

In the forwards, I'd still break up the Pooper. Don't mind if either Pocock or Hooper are retained at 7, but while Hooper played a lot tighter this week and was more effective Poey has outplayed him in all other tests this year. Really, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other - both are world class.

I would be prepared to give Timani a start at 8 with McMahon on the bench to cover 7 and 8. Front row could be shaken up a bit but it is still very competitive at both the start and at the finish. Stay with the locks as are. I have to admit that I didn't see any stand out involvements from Mumm. What were his stats for the game, FF (Folau Fainga'a)?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Excited to see the inclusion of this young up and comer Dean Mumm o_O

He's a late bloomer and isn't projected to hit his peak until he hits 37. If we can just put up with 5 more years of learning the game and banking that experience, we'll all be laughing come 2021 when we hold that Bledisloe Cup aloft. What a cunning plan Cheiks.

Impressed with Mumm, did a much better job then fardy has this year so far.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Honestly I wondered if Pocock was told to lay off attacking the ball early on. The refs have pinged him on some legit-looking efforts lately and an early team warning or even yellow card could've been disastrous. And I imagine that given Nigel's reputation as #1 ref a vote of note-confidence from him would stick.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Foley got useful when the game opened up. Use him as a finisher.

Hodge was most effective in the 12 channel. That's his spot. Hodge #12.

Douglas got through a stupid amount of work. He is no longer an enforcer, he is the workrate man. Coleman is the enforcer and lineout. Mixing the jobs a bit but a good combo (and better then simmons and arnold anway)

Mumm did really well with his chance. Much better then fardy in recent games though fardy did cop the tougher matches. They are the same age....mumm plays 5 years younger and I think in 2017 this difference will be even more obvious.

Pooper should actually work quite well against this argentina side. Known for their speed and having lost their big 2nd rows....pooper will actually work. Against NZ and england? No.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
We should have won that game by 20 I reckon.

The defence was the most pleasing aspect for mine, good to have that accuracy and physicality back.

The backline configuration is still a bit off, as many have pointed out, but held together well enough. Genia getting back to form is great to see, and that Cooper-Kerevi combo is going to work a treat for the Reds next year.

G

galumay

Man, you are such a concern troll.

Rather than the name calling, why dont you refute my arguments if you believe I am incorrect in my assessment?

It just amazes me all the people that seem to think the possible sighting of a swallow like bird makes a summer.

The Wallabies very nearly lost a game played at a very low level, an opposition without any attack, and not a great defensive effort - 6 points up and they gave the Boks a number of opportunities to win.

If the Wallabies had lost last night would everyone be still claiming their favourite players had great games and everything looked so much better?

Do you truly believe there was anything materially better about the Wallabies last night? It was just much worse opposition, if they play one of the NRC sides next week they will look even better!

I am happy they won, but I am not delusional about the performance either.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rather than the name calling, why dont you refute my arguments if you believe I am incorrect in my assessment?

It just amazes me all the people that seem to think the possible sighting of a swallow like bird makes a summer.

The Wallabies very nearly lost a game played at a very low level, an opposition without any attack, and not a great defensive effort - 6 points up and they gave the Boks a number of opportunities to win.

If the Wallabies had lost last night would everyone be still claiming their favourite players had great games and everything looked so much better?

Do you truly believe there was anything materially better about the Wallabies last night? It was just much worse opposition, if they play one of the NRC sides next week they will look even better!

Did you read my reply? I broke down the material differences for you and refuted your arguments / assessment with support from many others (it got 5ish likes).

You're right, one swallow does not a summer make - one instance does not make a trend, but I don't see how thats relevant here. Which one of us is saying that?

In essence, what we're saying is that, as a standalone observation, this game was a big improvement upon the last one. No ones deluding themselves and saying the Wallabies are suddenly world-beaters who could wipe the floor with England / the ABs.

And yes, I've been on record after the 2nd Bled loss as saying that, whilst it was a shit performance, it was a much better performance relative to the 1st Bled. Therefore, yes, some of us can see positives even in sub-par performances, and had the Wallabies lost last night, I still would've been happy.

The determination, set piece, basic skills and confidence, among other things, were all a lot better. You'd have to be blind not to see it.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)

A slight reduction in pressure from the opposition ie boks instead of blacks gives the wallabies a massive boost re time and space to launch their attack. A major improvement last night

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

G

galumay

Did you read my reply? I broke down the material differences for you.

Thanks, I went back and read your lengthy reply. I appreciate that you at least avoided the typical name calling of those who have a different opinion to you!

I think nearly all the points of difference you raise were only apparent because of the difference in quality of the opponents, so I cant say I agree with your opinion.

I take your point about describing myself as a realist - its a subjective view, just like the people that think they are optimists, or call others pessimists - it probably doesnt add much value, and it was a case of me trying to counter the name calling without falling into the same dynamic.

What I struggle to understand is why people get so emotionally invested in attacking people who dont share their opinion, I dont mind if you think the Wallabies played really well, and have made huge improvements in their attirude, skills and confidence - I simply have a different opinion and I would like to think I would get the same respect in return.

I realise the internet is fertile ground for confirmation bias, but people should really be less threatened by contrarians!

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from yesterday

Flickr or Facebook

29558451806_5dd08c1ba3_c_d.jpg

29302524750_f6abba1d0c_c_d.jpg

29483005302_f4ba8107fe_c_d.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Maybe a major improvement but still some real issues.
In the last 1/4 Foley ran once when he should have kicked and kicked when he should have run. I don't think he reads the play at all.
All those screaming for Folau to play in the line (12 or 13) should have another look at his ponderous hands: he unsuited to the role.
Cooper reverted to type a couple of times but he's still a better proposition than Foley.
Kerevi's defence is suspect.
I'd like to see Hodge at 12 with QC (Quade Cooper) at 10 and Kuridrani at 13 - thats seems to me to be likely to provide the best balance.
Drop Hooper move Pocock to 7 and McMahon at 8.
Douglas remain unconvincing - Arnold and Coleman for mine.
But no one will change a wining team given our fragility.

Status
Not open for further replies.