• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Really?? Are all of them Broncos and Lions supporters?

There has been literally SFA marketing within Brisbane for this game. Years gone by we had the wallaby jersey hoisted up over the Kangaroo Point cliffs, flyers/posters were up in the city.

Now, you wouldn't know this Saturday is any different. Hell, I completely forgot the match was on this weekend until Fathers day and I'm going to the game!!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hopefully Kurindrani is reinstated at 13. He is such an important cog in our defensive pattern and secures pill out wide like another backrower at the breakdown. Kerevi is a good ball runner but his defense and breakdown skills leave a lot to be desired when compared with those of TK.
I would love to see SK at 12 with TK back at 13 outside of Cooper. Foley goes to the bench.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
2 combinations I don't want to see this week:

7. Hooper
8. Pocock

&

10. Cooper
12. Foley

With the cattle in the squad, I don't see a better 10/12 or 7/8 combination possible

I think that is the way they will start, look to the bench to see what is in the coaches mind in actual options

I saw improvement in the attitude and intent last game, the difference in Cheika's approach is that you either win or lose big.

Deans seemed to realise we weren't great and pulled in the game plan, so we ended up still losing, but not just by as much.

But I prefer to see us play ball in hand and go for it,we aren't going beat the Boks (or any decent side) playing close and kicking away ball.

The key will be the pigs providing front foot ball, when they have this season (and they have at times) we have looked solid and threatening, they just haven't been good enough to build that pressure to win against probably the best two sides running around

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Despite the criticism that comes out of the Bokke fan base about their team, I'm not so sure that they aren't still the second best test side going round. If we get beaten on Saturday, perhaps we can comfort ourselves with the notion that we went down to the three best teams in the world - at least until we meet Argentina.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fardy will be gone and Mummy in.

I also dislike the Hooper/Pocock and Cooper /Foley combinations.

Chek seems to love both of them.

Chek seems to think the ship will right itself - pigs arse he needs to do something about it. Also chuck Moore /Sio combination in there as well.

I din't know but the question starting to resonate to me is has Chek lost some confidence of the group with some shitty selections and blind faith in certain players.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock and Hooper were both nominated for IRB Player of the Year....

Fardy was widely regarded as the form 6 of the tournament, and was listed in most publications 'team of the tournament' lists.....

But yeah, we lost to NZ... so Higgers right?

Yeah - ho hum

Both are great individual players. It worked LAST YEAR at RWC - even though we didn't win. The combination of the 2 is now what is in question, not the individuals. It is done and dusted but TGO doesn't accept that.

Fardy was good then as well. What has happened to him this year. Looking pretty shakey to make the side this week by the looks of it

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hopefully Kurindrani is reinstated at 13. He is such an important cog in our defensive pattern and secures pill out wide like another backrower at the breakdown. Kerevi is a good ball runner but his defense and breakdown skills leave a lot to be desired when compared with those of TK.
I would love to see SK at 12 with TK back at 13 outside of Cooper. Foley goes to the bench.
Good points.

However, I think we've established two playmakers works better. I think Foley to 15 (remember he can play there) and Folau to wing (solving our wing depth issues and attacking plenty at 15 and 13 where he does so well).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good points.

However, I think we've established two playmakers works better. I think Foley to 15 (remember he can play there) and Folau to wing (solving our wing depth issues and attacking plenty at 15 and 13 where he does so well).

Even, no especially if he plays Foley at 12 then TK should be at 13. Otherwise our midfield is vulnerable and they will run at it all day.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It probably goes without saying, but this is the most important test match of the RC series. Doesn't matter a whole lot going down twice to the ABs, as that was expected (just not the margins as it turned out), but this game is crucial to where the Wallabies will finish the RC.

Win this, and with a good chance to get a couple of wins against the Argies and second place (or first loser) is there for the taking. But lose, and then with less confidence against the Argies and and almost certain loss in SA, and last place is beckoning, with little indication of where we fit in with the remaining Tier 1 sides in the NH.

Cheika is signed for another three years, so we have to live with his calls. But we will need to see a great improvement in both defense and attack from Grey and Larkham for them to retain any credibility and for the Wallabies to remain in the race for second place. So, regardless of the selected side. I will be barracking for them to win. I just might not have the expectation of a win if something isn't now done about the team makeup.

The Saffas will certainly fancy their chances against the Wallabies who played the tests agains the ABs. Not so much the players, but the structures. I am hopeful of seeing an improvement in those structures this game.

Saxter

Stan Wickham (3)
Whilst I don't actually think there is anyone better than Cheik to coach right now he seems more than a little blinkered. That's just an observation. His body language of late is VERY defensive and aloof and his appearance is ramshackle. Grow a beard or shave man! Why I believe this to be important is that he reflects the team to the nation and internationally. Looking at Cheik now. To an observer would you think he is at the helm of a team that is crisp, sharp and professional?

As a very successful business man I get the sense that he has been very adroit in the past at doing things his-own-way and getting the results. That's fine until we get into this type of situation. A nexus where he really needs to listen to the opinion's of others. I don't think this leopard can change his 'I know best' spots.

An obvious example here is Folau into 13. The country is screaming for it. Both learned voices and the great unwashed but it seems that we'll just continue to get the Cheik middle finger to that one. There are other examples too.

Personally now that the Bledisloe is gone I would favour a 'regeneration' year. Try people. Blood them. I mean Cheik was happy to not-win the Bledisloe last year with our best chance in a decade to trial players for the RWC. Why not this year? EG - Skelton back to the squad - because we know what he offers - and unleash Timani for a go man? Anyway... If he said "We're going on a journey this year folks. There'll be speed bumps for sure. Hang in there but KNOW it's all about 2019". I'd be much happier with that than losing by 35 points with the same-old guard.

Just my opinion. Thoughts?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst I don't actually think there is anyone better than Cheik to coach right now he seems more than a little blinkered. That's just an observation. His body language of late is VERY defensive and aloof and his appearance is ramshackle. Grow a beard or shave man! Why I believe this to be important is that he reflects the team to the nation and internationally. Looking at Cheik now. To an observer would you think he is at the helm of a team that is crisp, sharp and professional?

As a very successful business man I get the sense that he has been very adroit in the past at doing things his-own-way and getting the results. That's fine until we get into this type of situation. A nexus where he really needs to listen to the opinion's of others. I don't think this leopard can change his 'I know best' spots.

An obvious example here is Folau into 13. The country is screaming for it. Both learned voices and the great unwashed but it seems that we'll just continue to get the Cheik middle finger to that one. There are other examples too.

Personally now that the Bledisloe is gone I would favour a 'regeneration' year. Try people. Blood them. I mean Cheik was happy to not-win the Bledisloe last year with our best chance in a decade to trial players for the RWC. Why not this year? EG - Skelton back to the squad - because we know what he offers - and unleash Timani for a go man? Anyway. If he said "We're going on a journey this year folks. There'll be speed bumps for sure. Hang in there but KNOW it's all about 2019". I'd be much happier with that than losing by 35 points with the same-old guard.

Just my opinion. Thoughts?

You know he probably had a shave 15 minutes before the first interview. :)

I think he is finding the limits of the Australian Rugby Skill set. Its going to be hard to play a high tempo offloading game ala the ABs when you don't have players who can pass. Its hard to play a territory game when you don't have players who can kick effectively. Its hard to play a pressure game when you continue to select a player to kick for touch who misses at least one every F&^%$ week, despite having a bloke with a bigger and more accurate boot in the run on side.

Some fundamental weaknesses look from the outside to be playing into a siege mindset and a narrowing of the game plan. Also saddling oneself with a backline attack coach with no idea doesn't do much for confidence, especially when said coach has been anointed as the Heir Apparent already despite have a negative ledger of real development success.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
WALLABIES TEAM TO TAKE ON SOUTH AFRICA AT SUNCORP STADIUM. SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 10, 8:05PM AEST

1. Scott Sio (20 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) (107 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (68 Tests)
4. Kane Douglas (25 Tests)
5. Adam Coleman (2 Tests)
6. Dean Mumm (48 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (56 Tests)
8. David Pocock (58 Tests)
9. Will Genia (68 Tests)
10. Quade Cooper (59 Tests)
11. Reece Hodge (1 Test)
12. Bernard Foley (32 Tests)