• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
No. The main culprit was Cliff Palu. He was just too slow to get the the ball carrier who made the initial break.
Reckon you're being pretty tough on Cliffy there BR. Tomane has to make that initial tackle. But it's a pretty nice move to get through all three defenders

ffvFe2b

Link to the play if that Gif doesn't embed

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is hard to judge matches like these as we don't know the workload piled on these guys in the last week and whether they tapered at all for this match

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I find it interesting that in the 3-2-1's there aren't too many without Foley somewhere on the forums, yet on the ranker Foley is barely cracking a positive review

That's because the wranker is publicly available to the ignorant masses, most of whom simply upvote their little faves and trash anyone else. You won't find much objectivity there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reckon you're being pretty tough on Cliffy there BR. Tomane has to make that initial tackle. But it's a pretty nice move to get through all three defenders

ffvFe2b

Link to the play if that Gif doesn't embed

If AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) had been there in place of Tomane, he would probably have come in and bashed the attacking player and killing the ball in the same movement, but that is not the way Joe Tomane defends. When he has mutiple attackers coming at him, Joe backs off until he can be sure that he can get the ball carrier. It just happened that on this occasion, as on others we have seen, the ball carrier still got yhe pass away and the support player scored the try.

There might be a better way to defend in those circumstances, but surely it is up to the defense coach to identify the problem, if one exists, and to help to correct it. Joe is certainly not the only winger to defend in this manner Some times it works and sometimes it doesn't. Same with the approach AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) takes.

I have noticed that with the Gray defensive patterns, it is not unusual for the winger to have multiple attackers coming at him. He seems to favour a tight defensive line forcing the attacking side to go wide. So, when a mismatch occurs where a back carrying the ball is running at a defending forward, as with Palu in this instance, as soon as the forward is beaten there is an automatic overlap coming at the outside defending player.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Tomane certainly didn't follow the defensive plan and Palu didn't get into position to make the covering tackle when Tomane was stepped on the inside.

It was a well exploited opportunity by USA because there was plenty of space and a defensive mismatch with Palu not having the pace to cover that much ground.

Under the structure they play I think Tomane had to have trust Palu with the inside runner and push up harder on Ngwenya so he didn't have nearly that much space.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tomane certainly didn't follow the defensive plan and Palu didn't get into position to make the covering tackle when Tomane was stepped on the inside.

It was a well exploited opportunity by USA because there was plenty of space and a defensive mismatch with Palu not having the pace to cover that much ground.

Under the structure they play I think Tomane had to have trust Palu with the inside runner and push up harder on Ngwenya so he didn't have nearly that much space.

Yep, I can see that, but what of Beale's role also. My recollection is that he was just on the outside of Tomane and didn't in any way get involved in the action when he should have done. And I am very sure that Cliff missed the ball carrier before Tomane came into the picture. He was simply done for speed in the initial confrontation as well as in the covering role.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Beale ran across in cover, rather than being outside Tomane initially, and got stepped by the Eagles player easily turning inside making Beale overrun the play.
Hard to blame one player here - there was a 1-2 player overlap for the Eagles to start with, and our defensive alignment on that side was very passive against the Eagles sudden breakout - no defender was going in the right direction really. Paul was outmatched by the fastest Eagles player (and in fact the ball was passed wide of him before he even got anywhere near the defensive line), Tomane was going backwards and had to turn, and Beale was going almost flat out laterally making it too easy to be stepped. The Eagles exploited it very well.
Watch the GIF posted above.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For those of you berating Tomane, sure he missed a tackle, but I'm pretty sure that was actually on Hornes wing, not his. He also chased down a certain try to the US. Bag him all you like, but at least the guy was involved. If you picked up mistakes, it was because he was involved in a lot of play. Didn't have a standout game until the last 20, but who of the backs did? Horne was virtually non-existent.

I re-checked - Horne was defending the right wing side just prior to this.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
You can say one thing for a Cheika coached side. It's all or nothing. He's more than happy to gamble it all on the big win.

But I don't mind that, at least if it comes together we are a red hot chance.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Of course you did. I'll find someone else to pick on.bloody Phipps' fault giving them the ball in the first place :D

Well, I was watching the GIF posted above to work out why it all went pear-shaped, and I also noticed #11 standing on the right wing. Dunno why they had swapped, but they had.
But yeah, it would have helped if we didn't give the ball back to them to start with!

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Thoughts on the game:

McMahon is a proven player against 2nd/3rd tier nations - long way behind Pooper/Hocock

Cheikaball relies (as does the strategy of every rugby nation) on forwards penetrating and as such Palu is still best 8 option with Mumm & Simmons

Beale is the best creative 12 and should be given a crack esp with (hate to say it but they are offensively better than any other 10-12 combo) Foley - Gits is the most experienced and To'omua with the most sound skillset (balance of attack & D)

TK has regressed to jus shuffling ball and needs a rocket

And Genia is timing his run perfectly and looks set to be no1 hb

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Thoughts on the game:

McMahon is a proven player against 2nd/3rd tier nations - long way behind Pooper/Hocock

Cheikaball relies (as does the strategy of every rugby nation) on forwards penetrating and as such Palu is still best 8 option with Mumm & Simmons

Beale is the best creative 12 and should be given a crack esp with (hate to say it but they are offensively better than any other 10-12 combo) Foley - Gits is the most experienced and To'omua with the most sound skillset (balance of attack & D)

TK has regressed to jus shuffling ball and needs a rocket

And Genia is timing his run perfectly and looks set to be no1 hb

I suspect that if we are well behind after 50 mins in a knockout game you may well see Cheika go for the doctor and put Kurtley at 12 to finish. He is easily the best creative 12 we have and works very well with Folau. That's why he will be in the 23 jumper. But we'll start with either Giteau or To'omua.

Phipps looked poor but the way the offside line was refereed was diabolical. If this is the trend for the RWC then we will have to modify the tactics that are using. I can imagine the phone lines between Cheika and the referees assessors will be running hot this week. If the offside line is not properly policed we are going to see so much pick and drive and kicking that the games will become an absolute dirge. Think 2007 all over again and Jakeball to be the ultimate victor.

It's almost as if he wasn't even on the field....

I suspect Beefcake knows Kuridrani wasn't playing and is referring to the fact that K-train has looked a shadow of his pre-injury self in the last few games. If we were selecting solely on recent form then we would probably have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13; K-train has to find his previous form and quickly.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
That Eagles try did show the obvious benefit of having an out and out speedster - someone who if given any space is a sure bet to score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Speight's recent history has been a confluence of events which has scuppered him - from visas to injury, suspension and now being played out of position. We're all jones-ing to see him unleash but we may not see it at RWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.