• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeh I didn't think Palu was that bad to be honest. He remains a decent option at the back of the scrum, but I think both McCalman and Palu are behind Pocock at this point.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
To me Palu looked a yard or two slower than in recent years, even lumbering at times. I really think against the Poms Pocock must start at 8 with McCalman coming off the bench.

Let Palu start against Fji and built up match fitness. He just looked way too underdone. He can start against Wales or come off the pine. If he performs against those teams you can start t talk about him as a starter again but not before that.

Against the Poms I would start with the obvious front row.
Simmons and Douglas
Hooper, Pocock and Fardy.

I thought Douglas was good value yesterday and I have always been a fan. People who say he doesn't do enough don't appreciate his real job.

Mumms and McC off the pine. They both bring great go forward off the bench.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Sio's scrummaging over the last 5 tests has been more consistent, so I'd go with him for England / Wales... not much between them though

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
My thoughts:-

In the first half I thought the Wallabies were very lazy in everything they did. The ruck work was at times very inaccurate and there was little urgency off the ball. Have a look at the GIF a few pages back which shows the US try, disregarding the structural issues with the defence have a look at the players walking or at best jogging along in defence. Even if the player was tackled very few of the Wallabies would have been in a position to set up the new defensive line. Indeed Giteau was jogging back and when Tomane finally made the tackle he upped the pace in time for the offload to be made and the try scored. Surely the Wallabies shouldn't have been that tired so early in the game. A second example was a kick chase not long after the try, only Tomane chased, and his effort in defence when the US receiver took the ball was very very ordinary, basically jog in an arc and throw out the arm with no chance of making contact. I suppose at least he made it to the receipt area, the rest of the side didn't chase and the line was a dogs breakfast, against the ABs they would have been run back to their 22.

Phipps passing/clearing was far quicker than Genia's in the second half, but just so inaccurate. I'd be happy to see a half second/second slower and a bit of accuracy. Genia slower but more reliable, except for the bloody box kicking which remains a big blight.

In the second half the Wallabies got more accurate and showed much more urgency in all aspects of their game. It is hard to judge if this was purely because the US tired and fell away or because the Wallabies and replacements overwhelmed them. I would prefer to think the later.

I remain totally surprised by the performance of Mumm since his return from Europe. He had some very good aspects of his game prior to that stint, but certainly was never known for the physicality and effectiveness he is now showing. Just a bit slow off a couple of scrums, which could be down to the focus and commitment to that set piece.

As a non-supporter of the Douglas selection (and I remain so on ideological grounds) I understand why he was selected in front of Horwill.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There's no doubt Cheika's selection of Douglas was a huge risk, and extremely unkind to Horwill who'd pulled his socks up magnificently after his shit Reds season. One can only presume Cheika felt what James produced in the RC was all he was ever going to get, whereas he knew what he was capable of getting out of Douglas. Kane's injuries and lack of game time still make this a risky selection, spose that's why he's the coach and we aren't. Douglas's efforts against the Septics were very promising.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
To me Palu looked a yard or two slower than in recent years, even lumbering at times.

Yep.

Might be able to build up steam for couple more big games. Can't see him playing tests next year, though.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I really can't see the point of debating over Palu or McCalman, or the halves... The Wallabies are going to need them all during the tournament. Fiji first up could ring about a massive injury issue...

Fiji we need our most physical...
for the English our best frontrow & locks...
and best loosies for the Welsh...
and best defensive backline plus goal kicker for the ABs in the final...

Its the finishers that will do the job... In many ways its more of a concern to who is no in the last 20 minutes than who is starting...

Reactions: Tex
G

galumay

Its the finishers that will do the job. In many ways its more of a concern to who is no in the last 20 minutes than who is starting.

Well that depends whether the bench add anything to the game in the last 20 minutes, Chieka has had a lucky run with the bench to date but as we saw in Eden Park it wont always work.

Also if bench players are needed for their primary role of injury replacement early in a game then we will see whether or not the team can adopt a plan B or not.

If we get through the pool stages then its pretty simple, just keeping scoring at least 1 point more than the opposition!

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Just watched the game again. One thing I can't understand is the fact there is something so very wrong with our kick chase. It's been an issue for years. Whether it's the depth of kick and the bloody chasers! We'll have the odd back trailing through but never is this an effective attacking ploy for us. In fact the Eagles kick chase was much better I thought - runners coming through; ball given good height.

Also for this tournament, we should go back to bombing for Izzy. Was almost a given score way back when I thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And if either Moore or TPN have a minor injury that will keep them out for one match, Sio will be on the bench as reserve hooker. That will weaken our front row imo, even though Toby Smith is showing promise.

If that happens, I expect the starter to pace themselves and play long minutes, even the full 80. Both Moore & TPN do this in sup when needed

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If that happens, I expect the starter to pace themselves and play long minutes, even the full 80. Both Moore & TPN do this in sup when needed
It's exactly what TPN did against Ireland last world cup when Moore pulled out last minute. Played the full 80 even with Ant on the bench

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
No. Sio plays in the 16 jersey, but comes on for Slipper at loosehead sometime between 55ish and 70 minutes depending on other factors. If the hooker then starts cramping, or gets injured or something, Toby comes on for the hooker and Sio switches one to the right.

Status
Not open for further replies.