• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Everyone knows I 'love' QC (Quade Cooper), but, really, the hard truth is that something has gone very wrong for him, I suspect both mentally and physically. If we took his last say 10-15 Reds games, the resulting highlights reel would be a diminished shadow of the one posted here and elsewhere this week.

He's become a far more 'restrained' player, he dares less, he does less. The world told him 'you reckless fucker, get the Carlos Spencer crap out of your game'. For all sorts of reasons, he mostly obeyed, or his physical fragilities forced him to.

Whatever, that obedience and the 'newly responsible' player he's become has sadly left him delivering many of this his old risk patterns, but with the wondrous athletic dexterity, the brilliant sensing and use of space, the incredible, skilful stepping, more or less all gone.

I'd love to see him back as he was, as today, 2015, he's neither optimised himself as a a great Super player, or a great Test player. He's lost in a forced blandness that one cannot help but sense as unnatural to his innate ways.

RH good honest appraisal of Quade.

Some of the Posters have big big rose coloured glasses and ANY criticism of Quade is sometimes extemely unfairly hammered . You know who you are guys. Give yourself an uppercut.

T

Train Without a Station

RH good honest appraisal of Quade.

Some of the Posters have big big rose coloured glasses and ANY criticism of Quade is sometimes extemely unfairly hammered . You know who you are guys. Give yourself an uppercut.

No. Some are just realistic. You hold players to a ludicrous benchmark of what you perceive them capable of, not how they compare to their alternatives. You were advocating the Reds were better off without Horwill, not because you could name a better alternative that he was holding back, but because he wasn't living up to your expectations based on him at his peak as a player.

How many players come back seamlessly after a long injury? Throw me a name of any player that has. Even Pocock was eased back in this year. One of the few would actually be Quade against the force oddly enough.

Some posters just remember that in 2013 Quade was brought back in after injury and unsurprisingly, wasn't great at first. After 3 consecutive tests he really hit his straps and had one of his best runs of test performances that lead to the Wallabies playing some of their best consistent rugby in years.

T

Train Without a Station

Scrubber I'm just glad you're not a coach. Once you discarded 95% of players on the basis of one or two games because they weren't what you expected of them there'd be no players left to choose.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
^^^ Just to be clear from my vantage: I am not lacking in empathy or appreciation for the impact of his multiple injuries upon QC (Quade Cooper)'s post-2011 performances.

I just think the issues in his play to me seem deeper than are explained solely by 'recovering from injuries'.

Re 2013 - was he 'brought back from injury' that year? I thought he played most of that season. I remember his genuinely good games as (1) v Chiefs away and (2) v ABs Dunedin.

T

Train Without a Station

^^^ Just to be clear from y vantage: I am not lacking in empathy or appreciation for the impact of his multiple injuries upon QC (Quade Cooper)'s post-2011 performances.

I just think the issues in his play to me seem deeper than are explained solely by 'recovering from injuries'.

Re 2013 - was he 'brought back from injury' that year? I thought he played most of that season. I remember his genuinely good games as (1) v Chiefs away and (2) v ABs Dunedin.

I tell a lie, he played the entire Super Rugby season. To'omua was initially preferred at 10 in test season, as part of Link's anti-nepotism he seemed to initially employ.

He had good games vs SA (Players player), vs Arg, vs NZ, vs Italy (no biggie), vs Scotland (2nd string midfield), vs Ireland and vs Wales.

In the last 8 games of the season, he had one indifferent performance, against England.

He was pretty average in his first 2 tests (SA and Arg at home). What it showed was that with some consistency he was able to come good.

Should QC (Quade Cooper) be blindly selected? Absolutely not. Should it be considered that with consecutive games he has in the past become very influential at 10 with game time under his belt. Yes.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^ Just to be clear from y vantage: I am not lacking in empathy or appreciation for the impact of his multiple injuries upon QC (Quade Cooper)'s post-2011 performances.

I don't think QC (Quade Cooper) of 2011 would have had a great 2015.
In 2011 he was surrounded by players 'on the up',all of whom were playing with confidence in themselves,their team mates & their systems.
Not so much this year.......
IMO 2015 Quade> than 2011 Quade
He is a more rounded player.

T

Train Without a Station

He's lost a lot of his individual brilliance element.

You know, all the shit people said that doesn't work at test level and he needed to eliminate from his game.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Hopefully, but I think a small crowd with lots of empty seats and the majority of the seats taken will be expats. Rugby 15s or rugby league won't take off here regardless of player numbers. The NFL, NHL, NBA and baseball have a stranglehold on the American team sports mentality and won't let go easily. If they medal at 7's in the Olympic that might open some eyes. But the myth of the USA as the sleeping giant of Rugby is just that, a fairytale.

T

Train Without a Station

Do you think there's the capability for good interest in these one off events?

This will occur during NFL Pre-season and NBA off-season. Will that help?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Still anyone from the ARU, Qantas, BLK (Official sponsor of Eagles) or whatever has come to talk to Jarryd to promote the game?

Just like they did with Hugh Jackman. A simple message in Twitter can help so much or Is Jarryd a diehard Mungo supporter who hates Rugby Union?

I know that could spark a civil war among his followers but who cares. Also they should contact Nicole Kidman, she must have many followers from USA

Twitter could be the most productive channel. Promote three hashtags:

#FillSoldierField
#ThirtyJarrydHaynes
#RealSportsFans

Ditto Facebook

Civil wars are good. Flame wars are one way for something to go viral.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Scrubber I'm just glad you're not a coach. Once you discarded 95% of players on the basis of one or two games because they weren't what you expected of them there'd be no players left to choose.

Train - read your post , had a chuckle then a good old bellylaugh.

My retort would have to be:
If you were a Coach and chose players out of form (for whatever reason) as you would be prone to do, then RG'S winning record would be far superior to yours. Coaches wearing rose tinted glasses are doomed to failure.

T

Train Without a Station

Train - read your post , had a chuckle then a good old bellylaugh.

My retort would have to be:
If you were a Coach and chose players out of form (for whatever reason) as you would be prone to do, then RG'S winning record would be far superior to yours. Coaches wearing rose tinted glasses are doomed to failure.

You can be infuriating person sometimes Scrubber.

You pick the best options. Not the players playing closest to their potential.

For QLD for example guess what, the best options have always been Horwill and Cooper.

Sometimes it will benefit you to help a player achieve their potential by "playing them into form". You cannot do this blindly, but sure for a player who has played 2 and 3 games across the domestic season, giving them 3 games to build back into form would be a prudent move, if you have 3 games. Cheika didn't really in 2015 though and did the best he could.

If it was as black and white as picking the best performer you wouldn't have shit coaches and players would never improve.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I have seen at least two interviews given by Jarryd Hayne on TV in the US of A, where he refers to himself as a "Rugby player". I assume he doesn't want the Yankee journos thinking he plays Australian Football! A smart man!!

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I have seen at least two interviews given by Jarryd Hayne on TV in the US of A, where he refers to himself as a "Rugby player". I assume he doesn't want the Yankee journos thinking he plays Australian Football! A smart man!!

I'd imagine it's just easier, and for all intents and purposes it's the same to anyone not relatively well versed with either game. The missus knows both games, but wouldn't be able to tell you which is which if you put a random game of one or the other on.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Hopefully, but I think a small crowd with lots of empty seats and the majority of the seats taken will be expats. Rugby 15s or rugby league won't take off here regardless of player numbers. The NFL, NHL, NBA and baseball have a stranglehold on the American team sports mentality and won't let go easily. If they medal at 7's in the Olympic that might open some eyes. But the myth of the USA as the sleeping giant of Rugby is just that, a fairytale.

No one thinks the American push is a short term prospect or advocating taking on the big leagues head on. The college game is the US's strongest comp and has the best chance of creating life long fans. But due to population size, even if it can attract a 15th of the interest as it does here in Australia, technically you would have the same amount of fans.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Potential can be a large waterskin that hangs slack and empty, or a smaller one close to bursting.

What matters most to a man in the desert is the amount of water IN the fucking thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.