• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Cool, midget backrow and a hooker with American ordinance guidance systems in his brain, and two lightweight and mostly ineffective players off the bench to fill in when the lineout falls apart.

What the hell does Banks have to do to get a run?

I don't see too many attacking line outs coming from us this weekend.

With that backline it'll be give it to Kerevi or Folau & run it back all right....

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Folau Fainga'a just had his best game against the ABs, where as Latu came off the pine and nailed his own coffin shut.

But like you say, maybe this is last chance saloon.
Chekia has said he was giving Fainga'a a rebuilding week.. guess that means a rest and a chance to improve.. Not bad with TPN back.. Latu gets his chance, although I stamped him never again after his last game.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
don't get chieka's obsession with maddocks, i'd rather have marika or Tom on the bench, a fast winger in the last 20 can be a game changer.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Cheika and Co keep spouting out that they want us to play consistently at a higher level, yet they reward the bloke who did the stupidest shit on the field last game with a starting spot?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Some good selections, some questionable, one WTF. I have been a big Latu fan, but his cameo against the AB's has to be one of the worst 20 minutes in test history! A big call.

Good selections were Dempsey, Kerevi and Folau remaining on the wing and DHP at fullback. Rodda didn't have his best showing against the AB's, but he's our future and I'm happy to see him selected. To me Simmons and Arnold are a 50/50 choice for the bench, and I guess Simmons good performance last start earnt him the gig. Likewise the contest between Koriebete and Naivalu for the vacant wing spot.

Beale at 12 is an interesting conundrum. He's certainly down on form, but like Cooper is one of those intuitive attacking players that can turn a test. Compared to To'omua, much higher risk but a greater upside. I would have selected To'omua at 12, but Cheika has obviously gone for the high risk/high reward option with both Beale and Latu.

Also, while I think Maddocks is an exciting young footballer, I don't understand how Banks doesn't offer more at the moment.
I must say I think the comment by someone earlier 'I hope Foley has a mare and is replaced by To'omua early' is a pretty unpleasant mindset. Personally I hope IF Foley has a mare he is replaced early by To'omua, but I certainly don't wish a bad game on the bloke

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Binalongtime tho Wamb. Sat most of the Super Rugby season out due to fitness/form, and has been the most inconsistent lineout thrower since his return to the national side.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The others have had their chances. He must be doing something to impress?
The brain farts in the last two tests were pretty bad. He certainly adds another playmaking option and is very good on the ground.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Like almost every other option we have at the moment his selection is some type of compromise.

He wouldn’t have been my pick, but you’d be hard pressed to make a convincing argument that one of the others has convincingly made the jersey theirs.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Sorry there is no hooker worth developing for the WBs?

Look personally I’d run with BPA but I’d have no issue with Fainga’a either. We have options that are more than ready for building. After this tour may be too late though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Look personally I’d run with BPA but I’d have no issue with Fainga’a either. We have options that are more than ready for building. After this tour may be too late though.
Nothing like having to 'train up' your first choice Wallaby eh.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think Cheika's decided the best way to get Latu to cut out the silly shit is to give him the jersey and say "it's yours if you want." Latu spent a lot of time in the doghouse at the Tah's earlier this year so perhaps Cheika also thinks that he wouldn't react as strongly to being sidelined as he might to being given one final opportunity to prove himself.

It's a high-risk strategy given the context of the game but perhaps Latu's talent makes it worth a final gamble.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
For every other country they get selected because they are good enough.

Oh nonsense. You don't start as a pro rugby player and suddenly become international standard. The opportunity in a player is identified, and from there opportunities to test in a bigger environment are identified to see where they can get to.

In your words you have to "train up" your third choice. And your second choice. And the bloke who starts.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Yeah - there is. Faianga & BPA. But Latu is not a train wreck either.

Look - I understand that frustration. Like I said, I wouldn’t have gone with Latu (from my armchair). But, IMO, BPA had a chance to nail the starting spot and then his throwing (which was pretty good early on) went to custard. Likewise Faianga has had a couple of cracks, but hasn’t grabbed it with both hands.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Latu doesn’t even start for the Tahs and has had 2 yellow cards in 2 games for The Wallabies...
Cheika’s Captians call, just another NSW Waratah gets an easy ride under the coach

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Latu doesn’t even start for the Tahs and has had 2 yellow cards in 2 games for The Wallabies.
Cheika’s Captians call, just another NSW Waratah gets an easy ride under the coach
Yeah yeah, heard this one a few times. Cept the time we started with only 2 Tahs in the team we lost at home to Argentina for the first time in however many years. You too can jog on lad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My take on the hookers..........

Uelese and Fainga'a are our best young prospects.........

BPA isn't far behind...........

TPN is not as good as he was before heading O/S, possibly due to the travel/workload?

Latu is either very good, or very bad, with very little in between (his head - bam!).

Status
Not open for further replies.