• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Wales (Cardiff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tordah

Dave Cowper (27)
Contrast the O'Keefe non-involvement of the TMO, with the disgraceful TMO involvement at the end of the ABs v England match.

What was disgraceful about that?
Do you not think it was worth checking or do you think the decision was wrong? Was a pretty clear offside in my eyes. Or do you think the TMO and 14 other English players got the offside line wrong?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Oh how I remember being pilloried on these threads for suggesting that Eddie Jones was a better option than Michael Cheika all those years ago.

When he coached the Wallabies previously, I was a critic. Maybe, just maybe, he is the right man for the job at the moment.

Churchill was yesterday's man until the time of crisis but he was the man for the crisis.

I'm a big cheika fan and I think he'll make a great Wallaby coach, but I don't think this is his time.

The ideal candidate is an Australian, not currently working in Australia at the professional level, has the experience at the top level, can deal with recalcitrant players and a pathetic governing body and would have the respect (not the approval) of the players.

E. Jones & S. Johnson are the only 2 names that come to mind

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/co...ckenzie-resignation.14950/page-19#post-679544

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but many of the Cheika haters now led the fan club 4 years ago and completely rubbished Eddie Jones' coaching credentials. Hmmm, wonder if Pulver and Hawker made the right call with the Cheika appointment.;)
This is bullshit.

EJ (Eddie Jones) is exactly the same style of coach as Cheika. If he came in things would have been roughly the same. Notice how England had that initial burst of form and have since fallen of a cliff?

Exact. same. thing.

But, please, continue patting yourself on the back.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
Have to agree with Gnostic's comments that Hooper is not the best 7 in the country, yet he is our captain and seems that wont change anytime soon given he has just signed a five year contract for big money.

I think that's what they call the Sunk Cost fallacy.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is bullshit.

EJ (Eddie Jones) is exactly the same style of coach as Cheika. If he came in things would have been roughly the same. Notice how England had that initial burst of form and have since fallen of a cliff?

Exact. same. thing.

But, please, continue patting yourself on the back.

I'd take England's recent record ahead of ours any day of the week.

Must have missed the cliff that England fell off. They looked much more creative and dangerous in torrential rain against the All Blacks than we looki in a bone dry covered stadium against far lesser oppoosition. We didn't even loook like scoring a try.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Certainly would take Eddie Jones back as a Wallabies coach... England took it to the ABs on the weekend. How about Pocock as Captain if Santa can deliver

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'd take England's recent record ahead of ours any day of the week.

Must have missed the cliff that England fell off. They looked much more creative and dangerous in torrential rain against the All Blacks than we looki in a bone dry covered stadium against far lesser oppoosition. We didn't even loook like scoring a try.
Yeah but they have a way higher base. More players, more money etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Right, im not abusing you. Im just saying that Eddie Jones would be no better than Cheika and his teams follow the same curve. Hell even the Wallabies under EJ (Eddie Jones) followed the same curve. He isnt the answer.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hmmm,

Well since 2016 Jones has coached England in 33 tests for 26 wins (win ratio 79%) points for 896 against 526

Since 2014 Cheika has coached Australia in 56 tests for 27 wins (win ratio 48.2%) points for 1436 agains 1406

In this time, England have a 60% or better record against all countries except NZ and Ireland while Australia have a better than 60% record against Argentina, Fiji, Italy, Japan, US, Uruguay and Wales.

Head to head, Jones' England team have beaten Cheika's Australian team 5 from 5.

I prefer to rely on objective facts rather than

It's correct that Jones' first incarnation at the Wallabies wasn't that good, but he actually went away and reflected on his coaching style and adjusted aspects of what he was doing. I wasn't a particular fan when he had the job, but I could see that he'd made the conscious decision to change and improve.

Whether he's the answer, depends on the question. In 2014, the question was who should succeed Link. The answer wasn't Cheika as the past 4 years have proven. Jones should have been brought in in 2014 and taken us through to RWC 2019. Cheika would have been far more ready at that point than he was 4 years ago.

The only real positive for Cheika is that the game in Australia is in such a parlous state that not many outside rusted on fanatics really follow the Wallabies these days.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Jones is quite clearly a superior test football coach to MC. It isn't even a discussion. There's literally no evidence to suggest that they are close in competency and an awful lot that very clearly indicates they are not.

MC has reached a point where week on week, there is literally no evidence of the team being coached at all.

Cheika would have been far more ready at that point than he was 4 years ago.

Would he?

Would another four years of provincial coaching (having already done it for 9) have readied him for test footy when he hasn't improved at test footy with 4 years (56 tests) of the real thing under his belt?

I doubt it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I think we've had enough experience of EJ (Eddie Jones) at the helm of Australian teams. It works for a while until his players start to hate his guts and he gets the arse or quits. I personally think he's better as a consultant than as a head coach, but that's by the by. I think that England team he took over is a fair bit like where the Wallabies are at right now: good individuals who have been given a poor game plan. I'll give him credit, he's taken the Poms back to their strengths and simplified things, almost immediately lifting their performance. The performances this year haven't been anywhere near as good and with almost the same squad, though. His team will beat ours in two weeks, but that counts for fuck all because we're rubbish.

I disagree about Cheik v EJ (Eddie Jones) in 2014. Cheik was clearly the right guy at the time for me and did well with that divided squad. Do I still want him at the helm now? Probably not, but who else is available to take over?

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
A $900k/year rugby coaching job is going to attract some attention. Hire someone with a track record of turning around a bunch of underperforming scrubs. The worst that can happen is that we still suck.

If we neeed someone immediately (say, if RA actually pulled the pin if we lost to italy), and if you feel the need for them to have successfully coached at test level (and that mightn't hurt) the only answer for the next 11 months is really Jake White. Sign him until the end of the RWC and see what happens.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Cheika experiment of blooding young players in starting roles in the Wallabies with little super rugby experience just smacks of pride now... leaving experienced hardened players out has broken the faith of supporters and not delivered results or genuine leadership.... Cheika stating to the media that the Welsh lose isn’t important against a team we’re To play in the RWC is beyond reason... This is our national team not his, Cheika is a change needed ASAP to restore faith

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I have never understood why we will have 10 phases in front of the posts 20 metres out with no ground being made and not take a field goal, points are there to be taken.

Like or lump it, that's not seen as the Australian way.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cheika’s time is up. This may simply be not continuing after his contract is up but it is clear to close to 100% of pundits that it has not worked. He’ll take a reputation with him that reflects his actual performance. He has also very much ch determined the immediate future of his assistants. That is probably not 100% but it seems a growing g majority.

Really don’t think RA are keen to call it early though.

Looking to the next phase you’d be mad not to be considering EJ (Eddie Jones). I’m not sure he is the right choice but he sure as hell must be on the short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.