• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies versus Wales- SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
There's nothing better than watching rugby at a rectangular sided stadium, made for the rugby & football codes.
Fans and the players love Alliance (the artist formerly known as Aussie and SFS) Stadium.
Will this match see the return of the big lunch up in Paddington followed by the once traditional pub crawl after the match like the "good ol' days"?

When you come to think of it, it's remarkable that Brisbane has a proper, centrally located rectangular football stadium with 15% or so more capacity than Sydney's despite Sydney's far greater population and large league base.

It's a crying shame that no one in NSW has had the vision to enlarge the SFS to say 65,000+. Seeing what Suncorp has done positively for fan power and team support in big games, it's madness to have that dead cavern at Homebush bribing the RUs to hold utterly soulless rugby there. That state of affairs and the resulting transfer of Tests to the ovular dead zone has gradually hurt the Wallabies and rugby in NSW IMO.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
With the series won, I'm almost certain the Wallabies will take the foot off the gas and the Welsh will walk all over them.
I think with the pressure off, the Wallabies will ramp it up a notch, send it wide and run in many many beautiful tries.
I'm usually wrong so perhaps I should back your prediction Jnor.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Early weather forecast is try track - combined with a decent stadium in Sydney, a sellout (hopefully vocal) crowd and Archie Barnes watching his first live game of footy, how can we lose?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
When you come to think of it, it's remarkable that Brisbane has a proper, centrally located rectangular football stadium with 15% or so more capacity than Sydney's despite Sydney's far greater population and large league base.

It's a crying shame that no one in NSW has had the vision to enlarge the SFS to say 65,000+. Seeing what Suncorp has done positively for fan power and team support in big games, it's madness to have that dead cavern at Homebush bribing the RUs to hold utterly soulless rugby there. That state of affairs and the resulting transfer of Tests to the ovular dead zone has gradually hurt the Wallabies and rugby in NSW IMO.
RedsHappy, you have the best stadium in Australia and your other points are 100% valid too.
I look forward to going there and dread going out to Homebush.
In Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide fans can walk to and from their hotels, bars and restaurants in the city, to the stadiums. Fill us in Perth fans and as for Canberra....no.
This walk adds an incredible sense of occasion and atmosphere and makes the game into a special event.
Anyone who made the walk during the RWC to and from the Cake Tin in Wellington will never forget that experience.
As for Homebush, Jane Saville, one of our famous Olympic walkers would struggle to walk there from the parking lot, let alone the city.
Suggest you get your tickets early for SFS, it should be a full house.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'll be at this, and for the first time in a long time I'll be cheering for Australia. It's taken me a while to get over the days of Gregan et al, but this has been a really impressive series. And the side is a fair bit more endearing to a parochial kiwi without Cooper in it.

Good luck to your lads.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Is anyone else predicting a return to form?

With the series won, I'm almost certain the Wallabies will take the foot off the gas and the Welsh will walk all over them.

Having said that, Priestland in particular will really have to improve - I reckon he's been pretty atrocious and his lack of form is more than a decent part of the reason Wales are 2-0 down.

Priestland was in horrible form coming into these tests and hasn't discovered it so far through the series. If Biggar wasn't such a dick then Priestland would be fighting for a place on the bench rather than starting.

It certainly would be true to form for RDs Wallabies to end the series on a sour note and erode the optimism of the first 2 tests v Wales. There would also be a symmetry with 2 encouraging performances booked ended by 2 dire displays.

Would like to see Wales win the last one. I don't think they are as a good a team as their GS in the 6Ns suggests but they have some very good players who one day might live up to that hype. But if they're to get there then it would be a big mental step forward for them to win the final test.

Either way I'm hoping for a great game with quality performances from both teams. If that happens and I get another enjoyable 80 minutes then I'll be happy whoever wins.

From the Wallaby point of view I hope that the relative calm and consensus on team selection holds up through this last test and there isn't a return to the head scratching and bickering that occurred when the initial 40 were announced. Some players so far have proved they're not quite up to test standard yet, but a fair few more have proved doubters wrong.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)

Never could understand why the SFS was not built to hold 60,000 or more when it was constructed as there was already a similar capacity ground next door. The SFS is showing its age, especially its amenities for the crowd. With the improvements being made to the SCG, the dated facilities will be further highlighted. There are plans to give the SFS a facelift, but nothing to boost its capacity by any significance. Probably cost a lot of $$$ and may not be structurally possible. Then it might be more cost effective to tear it down and start again.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I'm pretty sure there is plans for the capacity of the ground to be increased. I've seen the photos somewhere.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
1-9 pick themselves.
Is KB (Kurtley Beale) available to play ??? If so, then 10 - 15 is as good as it gets
only change to me would be Slipper on bench for Alexander
Have always supported Moore over TPN at run-on but TPN's form is pretty special at the moment
Sharpie going very good at moment but should we blood another (for this game)
I think this is a bit harsh on Barnes. He and James Hook seem to suffer from the same problem. And McCabe on wing? or are you trying to juggle a replacement for Vuna who can tackle? If so seems a bit negative

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

Am glad to travel from Homebush to city rather than freeze in Olympic stadium and end up watching game on screens cos youre so far from the pitch.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Pyle
5. Sharpe
6. Higginbotham
7. Pocock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Barnes
11. Ioane
12. McCabe
13. Horne
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Beale

16. Moore
17. Slipper
18. Simmons
19. Dennis
20. White (if fit?)
21. Fainga'a (on at 55)
22. Harris

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
And the Wallabies are second after losing to Samoa and Scotland in a 12 month period. The system is pretty special.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Is anyone else predicting a return to form?

Having said that, Priestland in particular will really have to improve - I reckon he's been pretty atrocious and his lack of form is more than a decent part of the reason Wales are 2-0 down.

Substance abuse Jnor? So the last 4 or 5 wins over Wales (maybe it's more, I've lost count), were just "flukes"? I agree with the majority here, be prepared for a great Wallaby win!

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
I think this is a bit harsh on Barnes. He and James Hook seem to suffer from the same problem. And McCabe on wing? or are you trying to juggle a replacement for Vuna who can tackle? If so seems a bit negative

Its not meant to be harsh on Barnes. I think Barnes would tell you himself that he prefers to play 12. Beale has been the best 10 in Super Rugby this season, and it would be a waste to shift him back to 15 when AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has been doing such a stellar job. McCabe to the wing because he has a lot of experience in that position, including playing on the wing in both games against Wales this year in the latter stages of the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.