• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies versus Wales- SFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
When's the team announced? Presuming Dingo goes with the same team+Beale I'd like to see a couple of changes on the bench. There are two glaring, and vital, spots which need improvement: the reserve THP and second-row depth. Isn't it nice to be able to contemplate a (nearly) unchanged WINNING Australian side running out in consecutive weeks?
  • If Kepu can last 80 minutes it's about time we saw Palmer tested in higher company. Kepu to come off at oranges and go back on when Fat Cat runs out of petrol. The only rider to this plan is a shitload of scrummaging practice with Kepu/Moore/Palmer to avoid the deterioration of our scrum we saw on Saturday when Alexander came on. Ben's scrummaging wasn't up to the mark, which should lead to his demotion.

• I realise we're all a bit gunshy after the Ireland debacle at RWC2011 but if Pocock's not going to be dragged why are there two backrowers on the bench? We desperately need to polish up another lock, or two. Douglas has been probably the best TH lock in Super Rugby this year, let's see how he goes in a gold jumper.

• The backs: I've come to the conclusion 15's AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s best position followed by 13, so where should he play this weekend? On the wing. And he's wearing 12 for the Tahs! Poor bugger, a big price to pay for versatility. Ashley's an extremely valuable player for whichever team he turns out for.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
The Qantas Wallabies team to play Wales in the third Castrol EDGE Wales Tour Test for the James Bevan Trophy at Allianz Stadium in Sydney (kick-off: 3pm AEST) is:

15. Kurtley Beale (Melbourne Rebels)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs)
13. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds)
10. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs)
7. David Pocock (Western Force, captain)
6. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on Reserves:

16. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
17. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs)
20. Michael Hooper (Brumbies)
21. Nic White (Brumbies)
22. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Tough on Aussie Mike, but as expected.

I like the idea of giving Sitaleki another go, but I fear he may be a flat track bully. Plays well in a team going forward, but goes missing when its trench warfare. Would love to be proven wrong by the big fella.

And how bad does Alexander need to scrummage before some one else gets a crack. Otherwise, a good team and I am surprisingly happy to see a McCabe/Horne centre pairing.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
KB (Kurtley Beale) the assumed back up kicker; yeah, harsh on Harris to be out. Individually, he did seal the win in a clutch manner that, recently, we've not always done at crucial times. Good kicking should be celebrated from the rooftops in rugby, but in Aus it's often wrongly considered a 'side line' skill (see the JWC U20s if you need compelling evidence of that).

Not Test-blooding a Pyle etc with Sharpe's departure likely (though that may have changed) seems very mistaken with the series won especially as Timani has not performed consistently well in gold. The next Test is ABs.

Interesting that RD saw no need for a b/up 7 at RWC, yet with Hooper we have one now, even though the series is won.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
while I think its a bit far to say Timani hasnt performed consistantly well in gold (having played 2 games about 12 months apart) I would have liked Deans to try Pyle, if only to see how he handles the pressure.

J

Jiggles

I dont rate Harris as a Test Player, but his reward for saving Deans' skin is to be dropped so a Lock who can't play 30 minutes of test rugby, let alone test rugby at all, can be picked to start and cover for him is provided in the form of a 5 - 2 bench split...

The logic of Deans at its very best.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think alexander and Timani are very luck to be in the team. Wish Nic white all the best off the bench.

I still dont agree with the centre pairing, but enough has been written about it, and I doubt it will change until the coach does.

I worry about how green our locks will be come 4 nations time. Horwill will be out, and sharpe can not be counted as a certain starter at his age. I can see guys like Pyle and douglas debuting in must win tests in NZ and SA, a baptism of fire if there ever was one.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Happy with the team, though like others I wonder about Timani and it's rough on Mike Harris. It's just about the best line up we can put out on the paddock right now.

Bowside, I'm with you on the centre pairing. I would prefer to see Berrick shift to 12 at some later point in the season when everyone is fit and maybe McCabe to outside centre.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Timani? Really?

Can't complain with the rest, poor Mike Harris, kicks winning goal and gets dropped. But fair enough call, we don't need two centers on the bench, and now with Beale back he can cover 10 and goal kicking

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Whats more of a mind fuck is why we have Dennis AND Hooper? Dennis will obviously be utilized to take Palu off around the 60-6th minute right? Pocock is both the Captain and an 80 minute player, so where is Hooper going to go?

With Kurtley coming back from injury, wouldn't it make more sense to have that third back to cover for him doing his shoulder again?

Additionally, I don't understand the love for Tamani and Alexander. I'd much prefer Pyle or Douglas with Palmer or Slipper as the third prop.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the plan this time around is for Palu to come off and be replaced by Dennis.

Timani will come off and be replaced by Simmons.

Robinson will come off and be replaced by Alexander.

Polota-Nau will come off and be replaced by Moore

Then Sharpe will come off, Dennis will move to lock, Higginbotham will move to 8 and Hooper will come on at 6.

Then Kepu will come off, Dennis will move to prop, Higginbotham will move to lock and Nic White will make his long-awaited test debut in the backrow.

I think that's the plan anyway.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Whats more of a mind fuck is why we have Dennis AND Hooper? Dennis will obviously be utilized to take Palu off around the 60-6th minute right? Pocock is both the Captain and an 80 minute player, so where is Hooper going to go?

Unless there is a niggling injury in the pack we don't know about which someone is on the bench to cover, I'd guess the game will end with 4. Dennis, 5. Simmons, 6. Pocock, 7. Hooper, 8. Higginbotham, with Dennis coming on at halftime in the backrow, and then shifting to lock when Hooper comes on with 20-15mins to go.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Like others, agree about Timani. Only reason must be that he's a Deans project player. There's been plenty of other second rowers better so far this season - Pyle, Douglas for a start. I've also liked the look of Neville more too - he's more likely to get into the rough, tight stuff than Timani, who I agree looks a bit like a flat track bully (he'll pull off the odd huge run and look great, but struggle in the key areas of his position).

Love the move of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to wing though - he's just not a fullback. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s been wonderful under the high ball, and he's actually passed a few times (I've been impressed!), but his counter attacking has been woeful (particularly the decision to kick first, and generally not too well) and he hasn't been joining the line well on attack, either. Having a roving commission from the wing, like Diggers, I think will serve him better.

Beale should add good balance to the backline - we've really been missing a second ball player, and that's been evident in our backline play so far I think. How often have we seen the ball transfer through McCabe and/or Horne? How often have we seen AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or McCabe come into first receiver when Barnes hasn't been there? Hopefully Beale can help solve some of those issues, as well as being more dangerous on the counter from fullback than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Some very odd selections there...

Hard to discern what the game plan is for using the bench, but then I guess Deans usually forgets that the bench is there anyway :/

Surely Mike Harris covers more positions than Nic White (though I confess to not being too aware of all the positions Nic can cover)? Not that I think Nic shouldn't be there, but it just doesn't make sense to me in the break up of the bench). And Timani - WTF?

Pleased to see the tahs front row is maintained in tact though.

Based on initial form going in to the series, I think some of the selections were a bit off (Rob Horne for example), but given these guys have been doing the business in the first two tests, I think it is a bit hard to really say that they should be dropped from the line up for the third. The return of Beale was obviously going to force someone out though, so I guess someone was going to feel pretty bummed.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Surely Mike Harris covers more positions than Nic White (though I confess to not being too aware of all the positions Nic can cover)? Not that I think Nic shouldn't be there, but it just doesn't make sense to me in the break up of the bench?
White covers #9. Gotta have a back up 9. But then again, I would've thought that a back up lock is mandatory also, and we don't have one of them. Just a spare 7 to replace Poey when.... ummm.... actually why do we have a 7 on the bench?

Come to think of it, WTF would I know.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Hooper's inclusion confuses me. Yes he brings impact, but he comes on at #6? Dennis is a six, and a bloody good one, and you'd want Higginbotham and Pocock on for the 80minutes. It does not make sense, like most of what Deans does, it does not make sense.
CHEIWW.png

W

What2040

Tamani and Alexander are ridiculous selections.
Harris lucky to be in last game but thank God for that - not a test player in any position (except as kicker)
glad to see KB (Kurtley Beale) back

Status
Not open for further replies.