• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Barbarians

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Still trying to work out why JOC (James O'Connor) is 10 and Horwill isn't in run-on. Another Deans captaincy change just around the corner?? If Horwill isn't captain when Deans contract is up i think the game will be in far worse shape than before his tenure. I just really don't get WTF he is trying to do.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Horwill isn't in the run on because he's had a massive season, I think he played all 18 games for the reds (?) and all but 2 of the tests for the Wallabies, the bloke needs a rest. And JOC (James O'Connor) is at 10 because... umm, is it posible Dingo has some type of numerical dyslexia?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's pretty obvious there are players being rested, otherwise Horwill and Moore would be in the run on side...

It is just a Baa Baas match... Last time we played one over there it was a far more experimental team...

In fact, I'd probably be more interested if Deans actually took some decent risks here (Dennis) with selections, and not just play JOC (James O'Connor) and Barnes out of position...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a two game tour.

Clearly Deans is trying to strike a balance between giving most of the players a run on the tour and still selecting a strong team.

I have no issues with the team. I would have probably had JOC (James O'Connor) and Barnes the other way around but it's much of a muchness. Maybe they will be reversed next week against Wales.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Horwill isn't in the run on because he's had a massive season, I think he played all 18 games for the reds (?) and all but 2 of the tests for the Wallabies, the bloke needs a rest. And JOC (James O'Connor) is at 10 because... umm, is it posible Dingo has some type of numerical dyslexia?

If the bloke needed a rest, then why the hell put him on a plane for 24 hours to sit on a bench? If he needs a break, a month ago he should have been thrown a towel, a surfboard, a fishing rod & a card saying see ya next year.

You can't take people to the other side of the world then rest them. Complete waste of resources in every sense of the world.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the bloke needed a rest, then why the hell put him on a plane for 24 hours to sit on a bench? If he needs a break, a month ago he should have been thrown a towel, a surfboard, a fishing rod & a card saying see ya next year.

You can't take people to the other side of the world then rest them. Complete waste of resources in every sense of the world.

Because we need him to f#ck wales up next week. Makes perfect sense to me...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have you seen the BaaBaa's team list? I think you have the rose coloured glasses on.

This Barbarians team is pretty crap.

Because there's a game next week as well. He'll start.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Clearly Deans is playing Sharpe and Simmons off against eachother for who partners Kev next week. He also wants to answere some questions on how the cock will go in the leadership role and see JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 before naming him there for next week. I'm with slim on this one. More experimentation would of been better.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm thinking JOC (James O'Connor) might actually be playing at 10 this week and next as it allows Pocock to be closer to JOC (James O'Connor) to help out with defence (if there is a perceived weakness)... Just a thought.

F

François

I'm thinking JOC (James O'Connor) might actually be playing at 10 this week and next as it allows Pocock to be closer to JOC (James O'Connor) to help out with defence (if there is a perceived weakness)... Just a thought.

I don't think there is a perceived weakness in JOC (James O'Connor)'s defense. In fact I think everyone will agree that the defense in the 10 channel will improve vastly with JOC (James O'Connor), given Cooper's shortcomings in this area.

I believe Deans has great plans for JOC (James O'Connor)'s future and he is trying to challenge him, the same way he has when he put him as winger although he never played that position before. He knows his future is in the midfield, and 10-12 are both basically midfielder positions, as there are numerous interchanges during open play.

JOC (James O'Connor) wearing 10 makes perfect sense. It's in the natural course of his development to move closer to the action and everyone had more or less anticipated the move. He will effectively spend 60% of his time as first receiver, perhaps 40% as second receiver. Perfect mix to both challenge him to make the right decisions in terms of managing general play, and having a crack himself with a bit more room to move.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think there is a perceived weakness in JOC (James O'Connor)'s defense. In fact I think everyone will agree that the defense in the 10 channel will improve vastly with JOC (James O'Connor), given Cooper's shortcomings in this area.

I believe Deans has great plans for JOC (James O'Connor)'s future and he is trying to challenge him, the same way he has when he put him as winger although he never played that position before. He knows his future is in the midfield, and 10-12 are both basically midfielder positions, as there are numerous interchanges during open play.

JOC (James O'Connor) wearing 10 makes perfect sense. It's in the natural course of his development to move closer to the action and everyone had more or less anticipated the move. He will effectively spend 60% of his time as first receiver, perhaps 40% as second receiver. Perfect mix to both challenge him to make the right decisions in terms of managing general play, and having a crack himself with a bit more room to move.

Not saying my first point was right, it was just a thought, but I'm reticent to believe that this has all been part of Dingo's master plan. If he really was grooming him as a 10/12 he would have played him there a long time ago instead of several other IC candidates who have rarely played there. In fact, the more I think about it the more I believe that Dingo wanted us to become a team of massive, smash them up through the centres players but the biggest guys in that mould are playing the wrong sport. He seemed to have a plan based around his idea of a great team instead of adapting a plan to suit our best assets (I.e. speed and ball skills) and when we didn't have the cattle he invisaged we ended up playing a bastardized version of a game plan that made for ugly footy.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Dave Dennis called into Wallabies starting line-up for clash with Barbarians at Twickenham

From Tom Wald in London, England
AAP
November 26, 2011 6:28AM

Uncapped backrower Dave Dennis has been elevated to Australia's starting line-up for the clash against the Barbarians following the withdrawal of No.8 Ben McCalman.

McCalman, who scored the match-winning try in last month's Rugby World Cup third-place play-off against Wales, pulled out of the Twickenham match with an eye infection.

The 25-year-old Dennis, who played for Australia in midweek matches on the 2009 Spring Tour, enjoyed a strong finish to the Super Rugby season with New South Wales Waratahs.

The match against the Barbarians does not count as a full international but Dennis has the chance to press for a place in next weekend's Test against Wales.

Radike Samo goes onto the bench.

While matches involving the Barbarians are renowned for running rugby, veteran Wallabies lock Nathan Sharpe was looking forward to one last battle with Barbarians skipper and Springboks great Victor Matfield.

Sharpe and Matfield have spent the past decade trying to outwit each other at lineouts and pulverise each other around the ground at international level.

The retiring Matfield, arguably the world's premier lock over the past decade, has rated Sharpe as his toughest rival.

And despite their on-field ferocity, they have become firm friends.

"We started playing against each other in the U/21s in 1997 or 1998," Sharpe said.

"That is giving away my age.

"I have a lot of history with him and I had a yarn to him last night and it is great to be able to play against him in his final match.

"It is not very often in rugby you get a direct match-up with another player but in lineouts you do."

Matfield destroyed Australia's lineout in last month's World Cup quarter-final although the Wallabies still advanced with an 11-9 victory.

The South African said he was keen to catch up with Sharpe.

"It is always nice to have a beer with him as well," Matfield said.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't think it's rocket science why JOC (James O'Connor) is playing 10 against the Barbarians.

With QC (Quade Cooper) out of the picture, which other Wallaby has played 10 in Super Rugby before and can fill in? I'm not just talking about this tour, but next year also.

Quade is out and who knows how he will come back? Beale played 4 games (IIRR) for the Tahs when Barnes was out this year but after playing fullback recently he seemed to have lost his flyhalf passing game and the controlling game he had been developing.

We are very skinny on flyhalves in Oz; so why not look at JOC (James O'Connor) for the Wallabies, especially as it's not in a test match and in a game where opponents haven't played together before?

Put it the other way around: Barnes and Cooper go down before the Lions test series next year. If JOC (James O'Connor) was always parked on the wing by Deans would we not be posting on this forum saying that he should have been played at 10 on the 2011 Spring Tour - at least in the Baas game - just to see how he went?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That's bad news for McCalman having to pull out but if there was one fellow who I wouldn't have minded having to miss the game it would have been Ben. That sounds rough but I'd like to see Dennis at a level above Super rugby to see how he copes in the rough stuff.

He hasn't played for a while: he started in the Canada game for the Oz Baas but apart from that he hasn't played since the end of the Sydney club season.

Let's see how he goes.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
François, I admire the irrepressible optimism of someone who can start a sentence with "I believe Deans has great plans ..." and then find a flow of words to finish it.

I can still dimly remember when I might have been able to finish such a sentence myself.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't think it's rocket science why JOC (James O'Connor) is playing 10 against the Barbarians.

With QC (Quade Cooper) out of the picture, which other Wallaby has played 10 in Super Rugby before and can fill in? I'm not just talking about this tour, but next year also.

Quade is out and who knows how he will come back? Beale played 4 games (IIRR) for the Tahs when Barnes was out this year but after playing fullback recently he seemed to have lost his flyhalf passing game and the controlling game he had been developing.

We are very skinny on flyhalves in Oz; so why not look at JOC (James O'Connor) for the Wallabies, especially as it's not in a test match and in a game where opponents haven't played together before?

Put it the other way around: Barnes and Cooper go down before the Lions test series next year. If JOC (James O'Connor) was always parked on the wing by Deans would we not be posting on this forum saying that he should have been played at 10 on the 2011 Spring Tour - at least in the Baas game - just to see how he went?

Beale is the other option I guess and apparently partly went to the Rebels for more opportunity to play 10. So one would assume JOC (James O'Connor) won't be getting much opportunity there

Status
Not open for further replies.