• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Boks Bloemfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chief

Yeah I think to save around $50,000 we could go for a 2:1 split. Just in case. It would save on accomodation, meals. Send them back to Aus. Hopefully Deans and O'Neill can join them on the flight, but this is for after the Tri-Nations.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
im surprised he hasnt called aus and nz an 'axis of evil' yet. he sounds more like george dubya every day.

you guys did still beat us tho...

A

all black rugby

berrick in place of giteau. anthony f to come on after halftime. i think this may help the wallabies cause....however i think saffas will win anyway.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Giteau is not going to be dropped - 5/5 conversion rate will see him stay. If another player in the team put his hand up to be a world class place kicker then Giteau's place in the team would no longer be assured.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Deans should go a 5-2 split on the bench but he won't which is crazy considering he doesn't use the backline players at his disposal, McCalman, Moore & Slipper should all start or at least play the entire 2nd half.

W

WB3

Giteau is not going to be dropped - 5/5 conversion rate will see him stay. If another player in the team put his hand up to be a world class place kicker then Giteau's place in the team would no longer be assured.

His place kicking has been anything but world class this year. Last weekend was the exception, not the norm. I expect Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) can kick as well as Giteau, and probably Barnes (though he was pretty shaky in the S14).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
South Africa:

15 Frans Steyn, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 John Smit (capt), 1 Gurthrö Steenkamp

Reserves: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Juan de Jongh, Gio Aplon

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
Assistant referees: Nigel Owens (Wales), Simon McDowell (Ireland)
Television match official: Johann Meuwesen (South Africa)

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Be pretty funny if Barnes cost the Wobbs the match, but that's just me being silly. Go Bokke, hope they set it up for a real shit-sandwich for Deans to eat in Sydney.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Be pretty funny if Barnes cost the Wobbs the match, but that's just me being silly. Go Bokke, hope they set it up for a real shit-sandwich for Deans to eat in Sydney.

Thanks for the best wishes, mate.
Did Robbie try to root your sister?;)

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
What's your point?

Two completely different situations.

Look you clearly have a soft point / admiration / sympathy with PdV and that's okay. Personally I don't think it's okay for an International coach to talk such utter crap and get away with it. If he was taking the Boks forward he could get away with it but we are going backwards.

The point is, you're screaming about Snor, when Jake White was coming out with stuff that was even dafter, and worse results, at the same point in the last RWC cycle. They're not completely different. If anything, White's bloody-mindedness was considerably worse, as those quotations show. You're rebuilding, certainly; but the mere fact that you're back winning (and were shit unlucky against the ABs not to at least draw), with the injuries and suspensions you have, shows that you're not holding Snor to the same standard as White when you bag him.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
His place kicking has been anything but world class this year. Last weekend was the exception, not the norm. I expect Cooper and JOC (James O'Connor) can kick as well as Giteau, and probably Barnes (though he was pretty shaky in the S14).

Nah he is the best kicker in the team within 35metres. His accuracy starts to shake a bit when it is over 40metres out. Just like Deans thinks James O'Connor is the best winger in Australia, he thinks Giteau is the best kicker.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well its obvious Snor will take the Bokke Old Age Home to the WC. If thats the right thing maybe maybe not. One side of me tells me that you win WCs with experiense the other side say we should pick the form players.

I felt for this first time in this years TriNation that our Old Age Boarders is looking to start clicking as combination against a Wallaby side that wanted to ran us off our feet and was pretty awesome in that open stanza. Only the experiense in the Bokke draw that test back and thats what I want to see.

If we go this route OK but then we have to put them in cottonwool and prepare them to peak next year around this time in their peak condition. There is not a lot of diffirense between the Tri Nation teams and peak at the right stage of the tournament will be all important and whats between the ears will decide which one will make it.

It have to go one test at a time now and try and put up a better performance then the previous one and thats what the Bokke have to go and do on saturday and they will win this one.

Its always refreshing to read others views and Heyneke Meyer sure one of them

Form, not age, should be Bok yardstick

The obsession with the age of several Springboks is not just becoming tiresome, it should have no relevance to which players play in the World Cup next year.

This is the view of former Blue Bulls coach Heyneke Meyer, who said the age issue is a “cliche” and a “perception” that is blinding people from seeing the real value of players.

The Boks’ poor Tri-Nations form – they won their first game of the season when they beat the Wallabies 44-31 in Pretoria at the weekend – has stirred the debate over the value of certain senior Boks.

Fingers are often pointed to the 30-something Boks – like captain John Smit and his vice-captain Victor Matfield – being too old.

The naysayers feel that next year’s World Cup in New Zealand will be a bridge too far.

However, Meyer disagrees.

In an exclusive interview with rugby365.com he said that with the right management the experience of these ‘old hands’ can be invaluable.

“Age [of players] is a big perception,” Meyer said, adding: “You get guys at 26 and 150 games that are done [past their sell-by date].

“Carl Lewis won Olympic Gold at age 34,” Meyer said adding that in an endurance sport like the Iron man the average age of the top guys are between 38 and 42.

“Being ‘too old’ is a very big cliche,” he said, adding: England, at the 2003 World Cup, had several players over 32. You can go through that team and see how many players were into their 30s.

“In England’s domestic competition many players also continue into their late 30s.”

Meyer used 29-year-old Springbok flank Juan Smith as a prime example of just what a good break can do to.

Smith, due to personal reasons and a groin injury, missed the June internationals and the Boks’ Australasian leg of the Tri-Nations.

In the past fortnight he was one of the stand-out performers, against the All Blacks and Wallabies.

“He has recovered and is refreshed, and look how brilliant he has been [the last two weeks],” Meyer told rugby365.com.

Meyer said he doesn’t buy into the theory of being ‘too old’.

“I feel it is important how you manage the players and how you manage their conditioning.

“There is a very fine line between over-train and under-train, but the symptoms are the same. If you are over-trained the player is lethargic and can’t play. The opposite is also true, if a player is not fit he will have the same symptoms.

“The key is to know which players you need to push harder and which players you need to take the foot off the pedal.”

The Bulls boss, who is now in charge of the overall coaching structures in Pretoria, said there is no doubt that experience remain one of the key ingredients at a World Cup.

“The one thing I do know is that a World Cup is not like Super Rugby, you do need experience.

“I have done a lot of research on this, and the teams that have won the World Cup were the teams with lots of experience.

“Obviously you need to be super fit, very disciplined and have a few youngsters and game-breakers.”

Meyer reiterated that too much fuss is being made of the ages of the current batch of Boks.

“I personally don’t feel the players are too old,” Meyer said, adding: “I don’t believe you select according to age, you select according to form.

“I had a guy, Johan Kapp, who at 36, 37 still played great rugby for me and at all the training sessions always ran in the front.

“You should not attach age to selection, you attach form and management to it.”

H

Hartman

South Africa:
15 Frans Steyn, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jaque Fourie, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Schalk Burger, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Danie Rossouw, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 John Smit (capt), 1 Gurthrö Steenkamp

Reserves: 16 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Ryan Kankowski, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Juan de Jongh, Gio Aplon

Gio being back in the lineup is good. I also think Habana should stay there despite his shocking form recently - doesn't need a blow to his confidence after last week, and we all know what he is capable of. I have been a supporter of Frans Steyn being in the team simply because Kirchner is no good at test level, but last week he was shocking. He gets one more chance as far as I'm concerned, give him benefit of the doubt that being messed around by Bok management for so long this season has dampened his form.

Basically I think this is the best lineup they have put out all season, better than last week. Only thing that would make it better is battleship... why is he still not in the lineup?

Status
Not open for further replies.