• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney, 3rd Test, 25 June @ 8:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
We would have gone with two playmakers regardless of who was playing 10 if the preferred options had been fit to start the series.

I'd be surprised if Horne was slower than DHP or Nabuli.

Horne had to turn to chase Farrell over a short distance. Farrell isn't slow. It doesn't matter who the winger is there they aren't going to win that race.

Anyway, keep hating on the players selected and assume that everything would be better if we picked Leali'ifano who is yet to show any good form in either test in my opinion.[/quote]

BH, do you always try to misrepresent what others say if you disagree? I don't have any hate for any of the players, especially neither of Foley nor Horne.

I have expressed my opinion on how certain players, including Foley and Horne, are not cutting the mustard in this test series. If you'd care to look back, you would see that I have been a long time fan/supporter of Horne in the Wallabies, and in games played in other fashions I've had no concerns about Foley at 10. It is just that the way England have been playing in their defensive patterns, Foley has been ineffectual in controlling the backline play, creating any opportunities or countering the England game plan. He is ineffectual imo because he doesn't have the necessary skills to turn the rush defense around without just giving away possession to the other side. Horne I believe is showing signs of going off the boil, does very little and is not a threat in attack. His one purpose now seems to be to defend for Foley in the 10 channel.

I note that you are pretty quiet about my criticisms of players from other franchises. I have been critical of Moore and advocated his dropping; I have been very critical of Simmons and McMahon, neither of whom I believe are test standard players. Are you just over-sensitive to any criticism of the performance of Tahs' players in the test side?

I truly believe that Rob Horne, great servant that he was, is now a bit of a handicap at wing and should be replaced long term by a true winger, that Bernard Foley hasn't got the game skills to challenge the England defense though against other less-in-your-face defense he's been more than adequate. I would be very happy if you were able to show where I am wrong without resorting to a bland statement that Cheika knows more than I do.

I believe in Cheika, Wallaby coach almighty, maker of the winning Wallaby team, Cheika the strong, his plan's never wrong etc etc.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
To piggyback and be a nitpicking twat..

Nabuli was one of the fastest (if not the fastest) player(s) in the Panthers squad while he was there. Horne would get absolutely fucking smoked if they ran a 60m or 100m race.

I made some stupid fucking post when the Reds picked him up about how I didn't think he looked very fast in the limited footage I saw of him from the Toyota Cup. Then I actually sat down and watched more of his game film.

Not to mention he's half a foot taller and 30lb heavier :rolleyes:

On the topic of Horne, was just having some shower thoughts a few minutes ago..

If our defensive pattern seemingly suffers so much without Rob Horne performing his vital and invaluable role in the system maybe it's time for a new fucking pattern? How is it even possible for a Tier 1 nation to have a defensive structure that allegedly relies so much on the contribution of an otherwise limited player who is so often injured?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Skelton selection will be interesting

Those big Soap Dodgers will hold him up in the open.

Just hope that when he runs he runs fucking hard and bent over,

He deserves HIS shot - everyone else has had a crack

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Skelton selection will be interesting

Those big Soap Dodgers will hold him up in the open.

Just hope that when he runs he runs fucking hard and bent over,

He deserves HIS shot - everyone else has had a crack

That's one thing I've not liked about Skelton - he's had a history of being held up, giving away a turnover. I don't recall seeing him have that fixed this season - I could be wrong.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Does he? I honestly can't remember Skelton ever being held up in a tackle. Ever. But that might just be me.

He does have a tendency to go in too high, but he's so fucking massive that when he decides to go to ground there isn't anyone who can stop him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Add to that his work at destroying mauls, (go go gadget arms)

Lets see how much work he gets through

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Yep. While I find the list of Skelton superlatives depressingly short, "one-man maul destroyer" is definitely on the list.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Inviting the wrath of Pfitzy, the last word in player selections so long as they are all Tahs,

Your derision is noted, O Keeper of the Brony Lodge.

Starting Skelton with a backrow including Hooper and McMahon leaves the Wallabies with two lineout operators only.

It is more like 2.8 - add 0.3 for Hooper to 0.5 for McMahon.

It isn't ideal, but then if you're good enough you can win your own ball with three lineout options.

We are unlikely to threaten England's ball.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've got a prediction for everyone, so listen closely:

Even if Skelton rips shit out of it, there will be a metric fuck-ton of people on here saying "Aw yeah but England weren't trying because it was a dead rubber. <Insert preferred option> from <my franchise> would have done heaps better!"

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Does he? I honestly can't remember Skelton ever being held up in a tackle. Ever. But that might just be me.

He does have a tendency to go in too high, but he's so fucking massive that when he decides to go to ground there isn't anyone who can stop him.

Maybe I'm just remembering the bad Skelton, not the human wrecking ball Skelton that bust through the lines, and has a nice little pop pass.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I've got a prediction for everyone, so listen closely:

Even if Skelton rips shit out of it, there will be a metric fuck-ton of people on here saying "Aw yeah but England weren't trying because it was a dead rubber. <Insert preferred option> from <my franchise> would have done heaps better!"

Nah, I think this is just a bit hyperbolic.

Pretty sure near everyone would be happy to see "wrecking ball" Will come out and for "dead fish" Will to be wrapped in a cloth and thrown into the fucking sea never to be seen again.

The vitriol around Skelton has always been that we're told to expect one thing (and we've seen flashes of it) but many times are presented with something that is very different and almost insulting in the way that it's apparently the best we've got to invest in from Australian rugby at the moment.

Anyone who implies that a team isn't trying in a test match is an asshole.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
3 of those missed tackles were from Wallaby kick-offs where he's the shooter.

The shooter gets stepped pretty much every time, and it's even harder when half the forward pack's impeding your line.

And one of his tackled made was the try-saving tackle (something the Wallabies have been struggling with) on Yarde.

DHP has the potential to be the next AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with a better boot.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I think Skelton needs to be in the side, if anything to draw in defenders. It was very noticeable that England were able to just commit one to the tackle for most of the night and fan out creating less space for the backs to work with. There were opportunities not taken by Australia for sure, but the biggest problem was the inability of the forward ball carriers to create doubt in their opposition.

This. Skelton has been able to suck in a few and throw a cheeky offload in the past. He has done it once or twice for the Wallabies and had a great game against the Chiefs. He can also be the worst player on the pitch by some distance. Big gamble.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I've got a prediction for everyone, so listen closely: Even if Skelton rips shit out of it, there will be a metric fuck-ton of people on here saying "Aw yeah but England weren't trying because it was a dead rubber. <Insert preferred option> from <my franchise> would have done heaps better!"

He's not from my franchise but I hope Coleman gets some time. Of the other second-rowers Mumm's somewhat limited, Horwill's getting long in the tooth, Simmons waxes and wanes, ditto for Carter. Arnold hasn't played enough test rugby to rate, but I rate him for the bit he's done this series. Coleman deserves an opportunity.

And I've got a prediction: Skelton's not fit enough and will be shown up on Saturday.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
And one of his tackled made was the try-saving tackle (something the Wallabies have been struggling with) on Yarde.

DHP has the potential to be the next AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with a better boot.

Are you telling me that the raw statistics don't tell the whole story ..........................................................

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Without a doubt, his strongest point, but Rory Arnold is just as adept at disrupting opposition mauls (has longer arms probably) and is better at most other aspects of the game. That shouldn't be a ground upon which a lock who is sub=par in set piece is picked to play for his country.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Your derision is noted, O Keeper of the Brony Lodge.

It is more like 2.8 - add 0.3 for Hooper to 0.5 for McMahon.

It isn't ideal, but then if you're good enough you can win your own ball with three lineout options.

We are unlikely to threaten England's ball.

As is your usual sarcasm.

It will be interesting during the match and afterwards to keep an eye on how the lineouts go. I agree that it is umlikely we will win any England throws (at least until the replacements come on), and will be surprised if we manage to win all of our own. I suspect having Skelton in the side will encourage the Poms to kick for line a bit more than just putting in bombs for Folau to defuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.