• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney

Pick your THREE starting front rowers for Sydney

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whocares

I thought i'd get this underway. First and probably most obvious

front row selection.... do we keep with the same guys who got ravaged (and not in a good way) last time? Or a new lot, who will probably end up being even less experienced unless Fuse and Co come back

also Genia comes back into the fray and after the game Burgo just had does he deserve to walk back in

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think a new ref and a thirst to prove themselves will benefit this Aussie front row, they must be repicked. I think they should bring Dunning into the squad for a bench spot, he can play both sides and Al can't.

If Gitts' injury persists pick Rabbit at 12 and Kurtley at 15, take a risk. Rabbit's defense has never been much of an issue (not that England really even attacked that channel) and this WILL be a back-line of the future. This attack will have a whole heap of flare but it might meet the "too many chefs spoil the broth" theory.

Also I think we should take a punt on a young lock, at least off the bench. Mumm had a shocker in my mind and should not be playing close to 80 next week.

Well, there is my crazy thoughts. None will happen though.

C

chief

The thing is barely any refs know anything about the front row. We have Romain Poite this weekend, he and Wayne Barnes are two of the only ones that know a thing about it. He won't tolerate it at all, I expect the Aussies to get screwed around in the scrums this weekend again.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Same front row again but with Weeks over Mafu. I still think combination is our best bet. We need some locks with mongrel so bring in Van. Bring Baxter on to the bench.

Cyril Towers (30)
I think Weeks deserves another go. He struggled playing for BBs on Tues but nowhere near as bad as Ma'afu, and I think he is a better scrummager than Salesi. When he was yellow carded at the end of the game he was on the loose head side, where he never plays, so to judge him on that is a bit harsh. The trouble with THP is that when the LHP and the hooker get fractured (as they were all night last night), you get the whole pressure of the scrum on you. You can either try desperately to bring it to ground or get snow on your arse. Ma'afu took both options at times last night. Daley was the one who was really smashed as his opposing prop did whatever he liked with him. Sometimes took him down, sometimes kept him up and drove through him. If you've got a wiley big hooker he can help you out in that situation sometimes, but it wasn't the case last night. Daley needs to go back to school. I think he will be a good prop one day, but he's got some learning to do. Fortunately I suspect that he is tough enough to take last night in his stride and work harder to get bigger and better. So, who to play? It can't come out of the current squad. You either go with what you had last night (+/- promote Slipper to start at LHP) or go the Weeks/Finger/Cowan option that didn't work against the BBs. I'd bring in Greg Holmes at LHP and Weeks at THP (Fuse should be there but Deans just won't do it) and leave Finger at hooker. Slipper on the bench.

W

whocares

I think a new ref and a thirst to prove themselves will benefit this Aussie front row, they must be repicked. I think they should bring Dunning into the squad for a bench spot, he can play both sides and Al can't.

If Gitts' injury persists pick Rabbit at 12 and Kurtley at 15, take a risk. Rabbit's defense has never been much of an issue (not that England really even attacked that channel) and this WILL be a back-line of the future. This attack will have a whole heap of flare but it might meet the "too many chefs spoil the broth" theory.

Also I think we should take a punt on a young lock, at least off the bench. Mumm had a shocker in my mind and should not be playing close to 80 next week.

Well, there is my crazy thoughts. None will happen though.

I agree with the front row it should stay predominatly the same. Robbie won't bring in Baxter, I'd like him to but but its not a big show of faith to his 'next generagtion' and it goes against his mantra of picking on form (if you need to bring in someone in to because the ones you picked don't cut it you weren't picking on form in the first place). If he was going to do this he would have done it as soon as Alexander kicked it and had the excuse to, but i hope i'm wrong and his pride doesnt get in the way.

In terms of JOC (James O'Connor) going to 12 it seems that now would probably be the best time to test it out since we're just playing a forward pack and some cardboard cut out backs. But I don't think much will change in terms of flair, with Cooper Giteau and JOC (James O'Connor) you have the same amount of flair and playmakers than with Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor) and Beal.

too many chefs spoil the broth or
many hands make light work

I would like to see Douglas come off the bench. he showed some mongrel, more than Mumm and Chisholm combined

O

OZGOD

The question will be - will a week be enough for this front row to a) get over their technical deficiencies; and b) their mental state after getting rogered every which way in Perth? Players can take this type of trauma two ways - they can shrink further into their shells or it can galvanise them. If it was a mental thing and they were unprepared in Perth but they have the technique and the quality to improve within a week then pick them. Otherwise I reckon the safe option is to go with the tried and trusted, guys like Baxter and Fatt Dunning who at least have a lot of experience playing at this level.

That said, I think Robbie will take the bold choice and go with Daley, Fainga'a and Ma'afu again. To drop them might do some damage to their confidence plus these guys are the future, no matter how shyte they are today. Give them a chance to make amends. I think he will further refine a gameplan that will make sure we keep the ball in play as much as possible to run the Pommies off their feet and minimise the chance of set pieces, particularly close to our line.

What about Gits and Genia? Anyone know if they will be fit? Otherwise I can't see much chance to the backline.

In any case, the Pommies have heaps more than us to worry about, and a lot more to fix in a short span of time.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
6-8 months before Ben Robinson was dominating Pommie scrums he was dropped to the Junior Waratahs.

Is 6 months is a long time is rugby and there is more than a year till the World Cup. I have no doubt that we will see some genuine contenders emerge from this lot of front rowers and thus I think Robbie should persist with them, they are the future.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The trouble with THP is that when the LHP and the hooker get fractured (as they were all night last night), you get the whole pressure of the scrum on you. You can either try desperately to bring it to ground or get snow on your arse. Ma'afu took both options at times last night. Daley was the one who was really smashed as his opposing prop did whatever he liked with him. Sometimes took him down, sometimes kept him up and drove through him. If you've got a wiley big hooker he can help you out in that situation sometimes, but it wasn't the case last night. Daley needs to go back to school. I think he will be a good prop one day, but he's got some learning to do.

That's exactly how I read it too. One of the problems for us is we don't have the option of bringing in a 110kg hooker to help shoulder some of the load. In contrast, England's Steve Thompson is as big as a test prop.

I'm unsure how to rate Slipper's effort off the bench. He does seem to have a better body for test scrummaging than Daley. Why not go with the guy with more upside ?

In the backs, Barnes HAS to go. Is there an Alcoholics Anonymous equivalent for Compulsive Kickers ? I thought he bombed a certain try too. Hard to justify him as a playmaker when he's bombing plays and depriving strike weapons of the ball. Perhap I just expect too much of our inside centres. It is the fucking hardest position to play in the backline for mine (you've got to have all the skills and the selflessness of Job).

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree re Barnes bombing tries, Naza. A couple of times he was in good field position with attacking ball AND options, yet chose to kick. I may have screamed about it on the blog. He looked far less assured than when he was playing 10 in the latter stages of the S14 (not the earlier games). The Crab defaults too easily to this tactic too. I'm not sure of the answer.
Of course, the real question is in the first half of your post. Nobody has that answer.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I hear AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is making a return from injury this weekend. If they put him in the starting line up I'd have him at outside or wing and drop Horne to the bench. Alternativly they could drop Barnes and chuck O'Connor into 12 or straight up drop O'Connor and play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback. Based on recent performances i think O'Connor and Mitchell deserve there spots in the starting line up, more so than barnes and beale.

In the forwards I'd stick with pretty much the same front row, give them another chance to prove themselves. Mumm had a shocker and i dont thinks hes big enough to make an impact at international level. Chisolm to start with douglas on the bench.

Only other selection delema is whether you pick hynes or beale on the bench. Deans seems to rate both of them. I dont think it really matters that much as i dont think either wil get game time unless someone gets injured. Touch wood.

D

daz

That said, I think Robbie will take the bold choice and go with Daley, Fainga'a and Ma'afu again. To drop them might do some damage to their confidence .

Yeah, because being anally raped with your own head in front of millions of viewers doesn't hurt your confidence at all...........

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
In the forwards I'd stick with pretty much the same front row, give them another chance to prove themselves. Mumm had a shocker and i dont thinks hes big enough to make an impact at international level. Chisolm to start with douglas on the bench.
Welcome aboard.

I'm a fan of Mumm as a player but its increasingly apparent he's not a true test lock. Just lacks elite size and power and doesn't make up for it with aggression or leg drive. He could probably still do a good job for us as lock/blindside cover off the bench.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree re Barnes bombing tries, Naza. A couple of times he was in good field position with attacking ball AND options, yet chose to kick. I may have screamed about it on the blog. He looked far less assured than when he was playing 10 in the latter stages of the S14 (not the earlier games). The Crab defaults too easily to this tactic too. I'm not sure of the answer.
Of course, the real question is in the first half of your post. Nobody has that answer.

Do you not feel that Barnes' real level of confidence seems very down at this time, and at this level? As you and others note, his play under pressure last night was not encouraging for a top player in a key game....and btw, if I recall correctly, there were not dissimilar examples of these types of issues for him when vs the ABs last year. I have to say when a few days ago he indicated that an option he might consider was going back to League, I thought this was a sure sign his confidence was waning, deeper down...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think Barnes does lack confidence, and doesn't really know what position he should be playing. In response he defaults to a defensive option - stand deep, kick it if in any doubt. I was really impressed with his play in the last few S14 rounds - took it strongly to the line, flat passing, aggressive. He is perhaps too "structured" in his make-up to gel with a loose cannon like Cooper, and feels better with a definite game plan to revert to.
On the other hand you may not want too many free spirits in the backline together if things go a bit pear-shaped!!

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Welcome aboard.

I'm a fan of Mumm as a player but its increasingly apparent he's not a true test lock. Just lacks elite size and power and doesn't make up for it with aggression or leg drive. He could probably still do a good job for us as lock/blindside cover off the bench.

Thanks for the welcome.

To be honest both players are just stand in's until Horwill is back to full fitness. It will be interesting to see who partners Horwill in the second row going into the WC. The old hand of sharpe is alway extended, and there is talk that vickerman might be coming back for another crack at the big time. Chisolm is a good player, but he seems to play his best rugby when he's playing for the brumbies against queensland. Of the younger guys, Kane Douglas is probibly the front runner, behind him are Symmons and Byrnes.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
1. Daley
2. TPN/Fainga'a
3. Ma'afu
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6. Rock
7. Pockock
8. Brown
9. Burgess. he deserves another shot
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Gits
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Beale/JOC (James O'Connor)

16. Fainga'a/TPN
17. Baxter
18. Douglas
19. Hodgson
20. Genia
21. Barnes
22. JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale

Thats my side.
This is my full-strength side

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Alexander
4. Mumm
5. Sharpe
6. Rock
7. Pockock
8. Palu
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Schmoo
12. Gits
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

16. Moore
17. Baxter
18. Douglas
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Beale

O

OZGOD

Yeah, because being anally raped with your own head in front of millions of viewers doesn't hurt your confidence at all...........

Getting dropped for it though makes it worse, doesn't it :D

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I agree about Burgo. But maybe not 80 minutes. He deserves a chance to show if he can reproduce the Perthshire effort, so maybe 60 minuts or so. Genia needs a run to keep prevent cobwebs building up.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
14. Turner
17. Kepu
Two holes in your full strength squad #1. I really want Lachie to get a crack at a wallabies wing spot, and show us what all Tahs fans see every week, but he hasn't had that yet so can't really be in most peoples' sides above Ioane.
But Kepu? Are you serious, mate? I spent the whole year wishing the Rebs or someone, ANYONE would take him off our hands. Baxter, Weeks, Daley, Slipper, Yana, TILSE even would be above him in my pecking order. Eww.
Otherwise, swap Baxter to THP, Slipper on the bench and you have my team for this w/end.

Status
Not open for further replies.