• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney

Pick your THREE starting front rowers for Sydney

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

im convinced that Quade needs another playmaker in the team, although they do have JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale sniffing around fullback.

I guess this is just a testament to our growing backline depth, but its pretty incredible that Australia are going to get back Genia, Giteau and Ashley-Cooper this weekend.

I cant think of a position on in the backline that doesnt have at least 2 or 3 quality candidates.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I don't think Quade needs a play maker right next to him. But he can certainly play with one if that is the game plan. I think it is more important to have straight runners and hard defenders around him, to act as a kind of foil to his creative madness.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I think a new ref and a thirst to prove themselves will benefit this Aussie front row, they must be repicked. I think they should bring Dunning into the squad for a bench spot, he can play both sides and Al can't.

If Gitts' injury persists pick Rabbit at 12 and Kurtley at 15, take a risk. Rabbit's defense has never been much of an issue (not that England really even attacked that channel) and this WILL be a back-line of the future. This attack will have a whole heap of flare but it might meet the "too many chefs spoil the broth" theory.

Also I think we should take a punt on a young lock, at least off the bench. Mumm had a shocker in my mind and should not be playing close to 80 next week.

Well, there is my crazy thoughts. None will happen though.

I hope not, en_force_er! Dunning to the bench? Riiiight. And Barnes had a good game... why drop him?

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I agree with the front row it should stay predominatly the same. Robbie won't bring in Baxter, I'd like him to but but its not a big show of faith to his 'next generagtion' and it goes against his mantra of picking on form (if you need to bring in someone in to because the ones you picked don't cut it you weren't picking on form in the first place).

Tom I know you meant that jokingly, but it's worth pointing out that 'picking on form' has two elements to it: picking on form, and remorselessly dropping on form.

T

TOCC

I don't think Quade needs a play maker right next to him. But he can certainly play with one if that is the game plan. I think it is more important to have straight runners and hard defenders around him, to act as a kind of foil to his creative madness.

He was targetted succesfully in the later half of the S15 season by teams like the Brumbies and Hurricanes, QLD had no alternate playmakers to turn to and were in turn shut down effectively, he was a different person against the Highlanders when Ben Lucas was there initally to relieve some of the playmaking pressure.

C

chief

Would love to see Quade play with Toomoua partnering with him. I think that would be nothing short of incredible.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Would love to see Quade play with Toomoua partnering with him. I think that would be nothing short of incredible.

Toomoua has a bright future for sure. Where would you play him with Quade tho? I really can't see him playing anywhere but 10.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I hope not, en_force_er! Dunning to the bench? Riiiight. And Barnes had a good game... why drop him?

Well I explained why, Dunning can play both sides of the scrum and is experienced. He also has as much hate as anyone for England (started and was destroyed in the 07 WC). Maybe he could convert that hatred to passion for victory? Neither him nor Baxter are traditionally dominant scrummagers at Wallaby level but sadly Al in only a TH, thus wouldn't be amazingly useful on the bench.

Also I'd drop Berrick partly because he kicks away good counter attack ball and that pisses me off and partly because the Quade 10, O'Connor 12 experiment deserves a punt. If you want Beale, Cooper and O'Connor in the same team in the future (they will all be around together for a long time) it will be the best way to go about it.

T

TOCC

Dunning is forever banned from the wallaby jerseys, Baxter still has credility but not Dunning

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Dunning is forever banned from the wallaby jerseys, Baxter still has credility but not Dunning

except on the highveld. play him at 12 outside cooper and get him launching droppies from 50+. not allowed to scrum.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Well I explained why, Dunning can play both sides of the scrum and is experienced. He also has as much hate as anyone for England (started and was destroyed in the 07 WC). Maybe he could convert that hatred to passion for victory? Neither him nor Baxter are traditionally dominant scrummagers at Wallaby level but sadly Al in only a TH, thus wouldn't be amazingly useful on the bench.

Also I'd drop Berrick partly because he kicks away good counter attack ball and that pisses me off and partly because the Quade 10, O'Connor 12 experiment deserves a punt. If you want Beale, Cooper and O'Connor in the same team in the future (they will all be around together for a long time) it will be the best way to go about it.

No way can any test team afford to have the defensive liabilities of those three in the same team! If anyone is going to replace Barnes outside of Cooper it has to be Horne or Fa'ainga (ignoring Giteau of course).

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I've added a poll to this thread, pick your THREE starting front rowers for Saturday

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I selected fairbrother and slipper. Both are TH's, but after last night's game, I'm not sure any of the current LH's are up to it.

Also after reading Noriega's comments in the press today I'm not to sure he is the man for the job. Sure instilling passion and a love for scrumming is great, which the wallabies have lacked in recent years, but I have a feeling it's not a lack of effort or application that had us going backwards. They youngies aren't strong enough yet, so they need to overcome that with better technique. You don't have to bigger you just have to scrum better.

Thought he was a great appointment following foley as he offered something distinctly different to him and perhaps the older contigent of Robbinson, Moore, Baxter and co. had learned about as much as they could from him. But these young lads really could use some of foley's genius.

D

daz

God help me, but I have gone for the Tripod to start.

Well, it is unlikely to get any worse, right? Right??

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Matt Banahan from England will miss out after being suspended for 2 weeks for a lifting tackle on Barnes in the Barbarians match

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I don't know whether you saw that Poly has been ruled out for Saturday - aggravated his ankle injury last night. Whoops.....

D

daz

Looks like the tripod is pretty much a dead set certainty for Saturday then. If so, do those of us who selected them as per the poll get some kind of winners prize?

I'm waiting to hear the shock waves of rage on these boards if the injury was a result of being thrust into THP last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.