• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Italy - 25th Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

as was touched on previously, in the game against England they moved the ball to the wings quick and opened things up. They did it for a bit in the first half and then once Sheehan went down and Phipps came on things went AWOL.

The contrast in performance with the Wallabies is baffling. Digby has no idea at the moment. The team as a whole just seems to be able to grind things out. Not pretty but can scratch out a W.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
You didn't see the flick pass? And his attacking positioning?

..sitaleki timani is a born 10..at least I hope so as he is know lock
He had a shocker, but I do think he is a decent player normally.

Also I met his brother recently and I'm only saying nice things about the Timani family

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Beale looks a lot better a few channels wider, at 10 he struggles to get his runners right and his backline running. Off set plays he's fine, but his running of a backline over multiple phases isn't there. If the Rebels play him there in the Super 15 season it might improve.

A few channels wider and Beale gets more space to time his run, and use his foot work which doesn't seem to work for him in traffic.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Where was Samo? His imact at the end of the game was seriously missing.

Robbies subs were shit house again too. Hansen and Gill should have both made it onto the park.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Beale looks a lot better a few channels wider, at 10 he struggles to get his runners right and his backline running. Off set plays he's fine, but his running of a backline over multiple phases isn't there. If the Rebels play him there in the Super 15 season it might improve.

A few channels wider and Beale gets more space to time his run, and use his foot work which doesn't seem to work for him in traffic.
Why bother? He is a 15. Use JOC (James O'Connor) there for the Rebels and give Beale the space he needs.

M

Moono75

Does anyone else feel dirty after that? Like we should have lost it and now feel bad because we won

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
will take the win. Just wished we were playing a better style of rugby. The best Wallabies team is a mix of some of the new guys that have got a run with the extended injury list and some of the injured guys to come back in. RD just has to get that mix right....but I don't know if he will.

it is time for a fresh injection of coaching ideas for the Wallabies.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Talk about leaving it down to the wire... Would have been absolute mayhem up in here had they lost... which was possible with 7 to go... Lets put Mr Jekyl Wallabies back into the cupboard....

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Deans that performace rest on your shoulders. For the record it was a win BUT
We are nearing the end of our season, watching that game was like watching a team that was put together the morning of game day - nobody new what each other was doing, angles, phases, kicking, was all done aimlessly without structure or thought - toxic, or terrible, the coach is suppose to create plan/s for the team to execute on the park.
SACK DEANS

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Agree completely. His decision making and it seems communication is appalling. He again went back to being a ball hog on occasions, also kicked poorly and when passing took wrong options (why keep picking timani to pass to instead of tapaui?).

However half the issue is the structure and therefore the coaching. If you want to have a player improve at something what do you need to do? Give him practise practice practice! So what does Deans do? Keep swapping Beale and Barnes in the playmaker role!

Either he thinks Beale is good enough to be there, and therefore that is where he sits the majority of the game, or just pick Barnes at 10 and Beale at 15! It is just appalling player management. Criminal almost.

Oh, and then pick a big slow lock to play in the centre for most of the game? Didn't deans notice anything about out backline last week - it works best with taps at 12 and cooper at 13. Not timani at 12?! Just fucking nuts. Taps, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) an the wingers must have been filthy seeing how many times the ball died with either Beale or timani.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Brett Sheehan - You poor bastard. Deserves to be there and had 30mins of run on time before being injured. Absolutely gut wrenching.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I had to run out and only caught the beginning of the test. The last phase I saw was Cummins scoring his try.
I left thinking all was right with the world and was a little disappointed that I was going to miss the running rugby smorgasbord that was to come.

A win is a win and congrats to Italy for putting in another solid performance. They are on the up and will no doubt cause some problems for top tier teams in the near future.
It is great to see a level playing field where the likes of Samoa, Tonga, Italy and Argentina can trouble, and sometimes beat, any opposition on their day.

Having said all of that Deans should still go.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the Swings and Roundabouts Philosophy, where we play like the under 14's one week, and then turn up to play the next, it looks like the Leek Eaters are going to get absolutely rogered next week.

Many punters on here opined that the team that ran out last night was the best outfit the Men in Gold had fielded all year, and then they go and turn in a performance like that?

Was the turning point the loss of Sheehan, or had Suzie the Waitress mixed the gatorade for half time drinks?

T

TOCC

what a remarkable difference between this last week...

pointless kicking crept back into the game, poor choices and non-committed running also seeped into the back-line again..

dissapointing

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You can talk about all the pointless kicking and bad choices you want, but you are missing the real problem....

We got bitched in the forwards. Well bitched.

T

TOCC

You can talk about all the pointless kicking and bad choices you want, but you are missing the real problem..

We got bitched in the forwards. Well bitched.
Even in the first half when the forwards were on the front foot at times they were still sending pointless kicks downfield

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I don't get this team. Deans gets them doing three half-arsed plays and they do them over and over again.

1) 9 passes to 7 (whether it's Pocock or Hooper) or maybe 1,2,3 who is static 5-10 yards from the base of the ruck. Ball carrier gets enough assistance from the rest of the pack to get smashed in place (5 yards behind the gain line). Ball carrier is able to recycle. Eventually.

2) 9 passes to 10 who passes to 2nd rower standing in centres. Unsurprisingly in test rugby opposition centres usually make their tackles. 2nd rower either goes to ground leaving 10/12/13 to try and recycle possession in face of opposition back row, or (Timani) tries to SBW an offload in the tackle.

If through some fluke this comes off and we still have possession, 10, 12, 13 are caught up in the ruck, so either go back to 1) or proceed to 3)

3) 9 passes to 15 who hoofs it downfield. The opposing back 3 have not been challenged to the preceding plays so appreciate the chance for a run.

Though maybe I'm being a little unfair. Beale in the first half did get some ball to 13, skipping 12. This is a revolution for a wallaby backline of the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.