• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Russia - last game before the QFs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Sad but interesting, that of the players that were picked in the original WC squad that were coming back from injury and had little (top level) game time, four of them are not looking so good - Palu, Mitchel, Slipper, Horne. Horne looking like the only one still with a chance of playing a part in the rest of the tournament. That would leave TPN and Barnes as the only ones that are still in it from that original bunch.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
I am clinging to the memories of going to the SF in 2003.
Everyone had written Aus off.
Stirling scored an intercept try and we were all delirious with joy.

2011 - Clearly not an ideal campaign.
But let's not underestimate the ability of the Wallabies to put together 80 minutes when it matters.
The highs of being a Wallaby are made better because of the emotional lows.
WR (World Rugby)'re not fairweather supporters.
Stand up and be counted.

Agreed. The disappointment makes the victories all that much sweeter and I love a great "story". We still have the ability that is for sure but the boys need to pull it together. Lets just hope they can do it next weekend and do it in style.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I've got absolutely not problem with Baxter coming in. He's certainly got enough experience to help get us through the finals as a loose head prop!

Holmes would be the only other person I'd consider coming in right now, Daley and Cowan are way too green and shocking horrible at scrummaging.

Yeh I agree, Daley and Cowan shouldn't be brought in simply cause they will get destroyed at scrum-time.

Holmes just finished playing in the Brisbane club final so he is definatly match fit, I dunno if Baxter has been playing.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Yeh I agree, Daley and Cowan shouldn't be brought in simply cause they will get destroyed at scrum-time.

Holmes just finished playing in the Brisbane club final so he is definatly match fit, I dunno if Baxter has been playing.

Baxter Got knocked out in the first round of Shute shield finals, he said he was gonna keep training for the RWC final, so guess he woul be it.

S

saulih

Those claiming QC (Quade Cooper) had a bad game, need to watch the match again. He played his style of rugby to perfection: look for creative opportunities to get teammates on the front foot. That style of play brings additional mistakes over a more conservative playing style as it entails taking on a greater level of risk. This game against Russia was always going to be a free flowing one, with ball being thrown around - a true playmakers match - one exactly suited to QC (Quade Cooper)'s strengths. Those claiming he sucked are spouting hyperbole. A second watch of the game with fresh eyes is called for.

With the ball being tossed around more, the crappy weather was going to increase the handling errors as well.

Was it Australia's best game? Not by a long shot. Can we make anything out of it as they go into the final series? Not really. I just hope some of the injuries clear up quick, cause the road gets real hard, real soon.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Those claiming QC (Quade Cooper) had a bad game, need to watch the match again. He played his style of rugby to perfection: look for creative opportunities to get teammates on the front foot. That style of play brings additional mistakes over a more conservative playing style as it entails taking on a greater level of risk. This game against Russia was always going to be a free flowing one, with ball being thrown around - a true playmakers match - one exactly suited to QC (Quade Cooper)'s strengths. Those claiming he sucked are spouting hyperbole. A second watch of the game with fresh eyes is called for.

With the ball being tossed around more, the crappy weather was going to increase the handling errors as well.

Was it Australia's best game? Not by a long shot. Can we make anything out of it as they go into the final series? Not really. I just hope some of the injuries clear up quick, cause the road gets real hard, real soon.

Really? So a world class team like Aus go into a match against a minnow nation where players 1-15 are better than there opponents. We dominate the first 25, gaps are easy to find, play is open, we run in several try's. Then the rain comes and Quade and co through fresh eyes or not fail to not throw or push stupid passes or try stupid plays, instead they continue to play as if every moment should create something and in doing so create mistakes and bring pain on themselves.

We were outplayed in the second half, not due to passion, tactics or anything else. We were outplayed because the Russian team new there limitations and played within them, to there strengths. It's not hard and for people to make excuses for the Australian team as a whole including quade Cooper for making mistakes is the reason we as fans have to out up with that shit.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Quade was electric in the first half, not many teams would have been able to stop him and Barnes. People are quick to criticise him for giving away that second pass but he did set up at least another 3 to make up for it. The positives far outweigh the negatives, get off his back.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Quade gets given a raw deal by you lot, believe it or not he is not the only player on the field. As soon as things go to shit everyone blames him, but when we are performing its everyone else whose playing awesome.

I disagree with that, I think he is a brilliant player, as I said above, I think he try's way to hard to produce something special to often, he only needs one or two touches of brilliance to win a game, not the 40 he try's.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
So we beat Russia- that was entirely expected but what wasn't was the poor showing towards the end of the match - especially after allowing 3 tries to so called 'minnows'. Once again we started like a house on fire with the bonus point sewn up in the first 20 minutes but as has happened in recent games, the weather conditions changed but our game plan did not to match the conditions.

I've said it many times before that trying to play running rugby in the wet, or the conditions that NZ throws up, will not win many games and especially not against the better teams. South Africa wouldn't be too concerned about what they saw from us in the second half and if we do end up playing them, I think the winner will come from who survives the forwards battering each other throughout the game.

On the forwards, there were some players IMO who have played themselves out of a starting position throughout the knockout stage. This was probably the game to give some a last chance before the serious stuff starts and some proved they aren't up to the level needed to bring Bill home.

To be fair, some things worked well in this match and the return of Drew Mitchell was great up until his hamstring died on him. Berrick Barnes was also solid and it's great to see him back in the team - not sure he'd appreciate him team mates smacking him over the head after scoring a try.

James O'Connor's kicking was very good and needs to be maintained at that success rate for us to be a chance to progress.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Barnes played a lot of first receiver in the first half. Cooper did well coming in as the second playmaker when the defense was already sliding. Wouldn't mind seeing more of this action from the Wobs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Pretty average effort IMHO, they played pretty but there was little discipline from the pigs.

It got wet and we didn't play the required rugby.

Just chuck it around and tried to score from everywhere.

Compare that to the Bok's efforts, they get on and do the job and keep their structure

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Won't be long before we hear the "Bring Back Baxter" calls on these forums haha.

If Slipper goes home you'd think Daley, Cowan and Holmes are the front runners

If the best scrummagers we have are Daley and Holmes then I'll start the Fuse to NZ campaign! When our scrum has been under pressure all tournament, why would you send either of these, who have been beaten in scrums all year?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd almost send over Baxter to provide experience. It's unlikely we're going to play this reserve prop in the quarter final so bringing over someone who can add some experience to the overall squad is probably a good idea.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I disagree with that, I think he is a brilliant player, as I said above, I think he try's way to hard to produce something special to often, he only needs one or two touches of brilliance to win a game, not the 40 he try's.

He has started to overplay his hand considerably. Quade is best when he mixes it up, like he does with the Reds, simply distributing efficiently most of the time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
If we have Lawrence in the quarters we will lose. He is determined to penalize the wallabies scrum no matter how good they are going and completely ignores the other teams indiscretions. How he let the whole Russian back five detach when we went for the pushover try is completely beyond me. He is only watching the wallabies at the scrum.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ps was at the game, they ran out of beer with 30 minutes to go! Good atmosphere around the town though, and love the Nelson area in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.