• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Russia - last game before the QFs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Aside from some of the weird selections he's made, it's interesting to look at the combinations he's obviously going to try for the next round.
- Samo is on the wing, why would you start your first choice number-8 on the wing in the final match before a knockout-clash against the Sprinboks. Easy, he is no longer the first choice number 8. Palu was ahead of him pre-injury, McCalman has been playing a consistent 80 mins (although at #7 and not very well) and Higgenbotham is getting his chance to impress now. Makes sense to play McCalman with Pocock if you believe that these two will form the backrow combination in the following round.. does it not?
- Sharpe and Horwill. Their first game together in a while and arguably the two premier locks in the country. Both were highly influential in their respective teams' supuer campaigns. What one offers in experience the other offers in leadership and youth.
- Cooper, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Our obvious midfield combination, perhaps we left the trial too late. None of these players have played together for a while and you'd hope that they are doing a lot of work on the training paddock together. It's hard to see anyone other than these three playing in their positions or forcing their way back into the squad at this stage, regardless of recovery. Deans' wouldn't be trying this combination for no reason, get ready to see it again in the QF's.
- O'Connor at 15. The guy hasn't played there in ages and if you had to pick a member of the squad to play there after Beale it would be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). This demonstrates two things, a) Digby is nearly ready, b) JOC (James O'Connor) is not part of the Deans' QF XV. Why would any coach play Samo (a forward) on the wing ahead of a player who is going to be playing there the following week, surely JOC (James O'Connor) would need to be part of the backline plays and be able to link up with the trio mentioned above..

I'm probably wrong, and going to get crucified.. but just my thoughts.

M

Mica

Been in the backs for one day and he's already throwing no-look passes out of the back of his hand..

art-radike_samo1-420x0.jpg

No - I think they are practicing backline moves and QC (Quade Cooper) has just thrown him a cutout pass :lmao:

G

GC

Vicks has a niggle so that's probably why Sharpe is in. It may indicate that Sharpe was overtaken Simmons though for the reserve sport. Sharpe is usually very effective against SA though so maybe he will be in. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be OC for the SA game and Barnes likely IC, so them getting a combo going again is important. No option but for JOC (James O'Connor) going to FB in that situation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah I think Samo is best, at test level, coming of the bench as an impact player with someone else doing the early hard yards

A duo of Palu followed with Samo would have been optimal.

I see this game as a trail for 6/8 with Elsom Higgers & McCalman battling for the two spots

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Samo is on the wing, why would you start your first choice number-8 on the wing in the final match before a knockout-clash against the Sprinboks. Easy, he is no longer the first choice number 8. Palu was ahead of him pre-injury, McCalman has been playing a consistent 80 mins (although at #7 and not very well) and Higgenbotham is getting his chance to impress now. Makes sense to play McCalman with Pocock if you believe that these two will form the backrow combination in the following round.. does it not?

That argument only makes sense if you... erm... no, I'm stumped.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Samo is in his taper for the marathon effort he will need to put in the during the finals. That's why he's on the wing.

First 2 weeks he got belted by Deans playing full/near full matches. Last week was bit of a rest, this week too compared his usual stuff.

Then next weekend he's feeling nice and refreshed and ready to roll some ****s.

N

nicobinho

''The Wallabies have been warned''

''Robbie Deans has warned his Wallabies to avoid being drawn into trouble by antagonistic Australian-born lock Adam Byrnes in the RWC clash with Russia.''

''Byrnes, a former Queensland Red and now Melbourne Rebel who qualified for Russia through his mother, is renowned for irritating opponents into distraction.''

Hopefully the Wallabies don't succumb to this psychological attack lol.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/the-wallabies-have-been-warned/tabid/91/newsid/78000/default.aspx

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I really think there is absolutely nothing to be read into the selections for this game apart from the fact that we are picking a team from the cattle available.

The only think I would say is that Sharpe might have leapfrogged Simmons.

I do think Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) are a real chance to be the centre pairing for the quarter final however their selection for this game is forced more than suggestive of a change from McCabe and Fainga'a.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Aside from some of the weird selections he's made, it's interesting to look at the combinations he's obviously going to try for the next round.
- Samo is on the wing, why would you start your first choice number-8 on the wing in the final match before a knockout-clash against the Sprinboks. Easy, he is no longer the first choice number 8. Palu was ahead of him pre-injury, McCalman has been playing a consistent 80 mins (although at #7 and not very well) and Higgenbotham is getting his chance to impress now. Makes sense to play McCalman with Pocock if you believe that these two will form the backrow combination in the following round.. does it not?
- Sharpe and Horwill. Their first game together in a while and arguably the two premier locks in the country. Both were highly influential in their respective teams' supuer campaigns. What one offers in experience the other offers in leadership and youth.
- Cooper, Barnes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Our obvious midfield combination, perhaps we left the trial too late. None of these players have played together for a while and you'd hope that they are doing a lot of work on the training paddock together. It's hard to see anyone other than these three playing in their positions or forcing their way back into the squad at this stage, regardless of recovery. Deans' wouldn't be trying this combination for no reason, get ready to see it again in the QF's.
- O'Connor at 15. The guy hasn't played there in ages and if you had to pick a member of the squad to play there after Beale it would be AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). This demonstrates two things, a) Digby is nearly ready, b) JOC (James O'Connor) is not part of the Deans' QF XV. Why would any coach play Samo (a forward) on the wing ahead of a player who is going to be playing there the following week, surely JOC (James O'Connor) would need to be part of the backline plays and be able to link up with the trio mentioned above..

I'm probably wrong, and going to get crucified.. but just my thoughts.

Hey, at least its half logical. I couldn't make any sense of the team at all except for Barnes at 12. Whether that's what Deans is thinking is another question entirely.

For the knockouts we desperately needed Cliffy. If he had played the first 50 against the Saffers with Samo coming on for the rest and Rocky for the first 50 with Higgers on for the balance, I would have thought we could match the SA physicality and then let the backs take the points. Now I think we are one aggro player short, especially for the semi. But, that's life.

However, if Italy got up (hope and prayer required everyone) we've probably got the cattle to make the final in a good enough state to be very very competitive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
''The Wallabies have been warned''

''Robbie Deans has warned his Wallabies to avoid being drawn into trouble by antagonistic Australian-born lock Adam Byrnes in the RWC clash with Russia.''

''Byrnes, a former Queensland Red and now Melbourne Rebel who qualified for Russia through his mother, is renowned for irritating opponents into distraction.''

Hopefully the Wallabies don't succumb to this psychological attack lol.

http://www.bigpondsport.com/the-wallabies-have-been-warned/tabid/91/newsid/78000/default.aspx

I reckon that it is good that Vickerman is sitting out this game for the Byrnes reason. Vickerman would be the guy to knock him the fuck out and miss the quarter final.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
from what i have seen the russian wingers are good> one in particular>>
i hope samo doesnt find himself one on one with one> they'll run around him quicksmart

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)

I'm not so sure about that one. JOC (James O'Connor) hasn't played FB for a while but IMO he offers much more in attack than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at FB and only slightly less in defence. Plus with the injuries to the centres he not only needs AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) as OC but he is the best in that position out of those left (and arguably the best OC anyway). Also, it might be worth noting that when 2 dads built some good form on the 2010 EOYT (culminating in paris) it was outside of a cooper/barnes combo

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I can't wait for this game just to see how Samo goes......and I thought previous AB coaches were 'ouside the box' with selections like Cullen to centre, Jeff Wilson to FB, Leon MacDonald to centre and goal kicker etc......this is awesome.....

The difference obviously is that the Wallabies are playing Russia....not France....

Status
Not open for further replies.