• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A few people have put the boot into Genia but not nearly enough. I wouldn't care except it makes me worry that not enough people appreciate the value of quick ball. I'd go as far as saying it's the whole bloody point of rugby. Genia played like no-one in his life had ever suggested that getting quick ball was important. How on earth are you supposed to break down defences like that?? I guess they answered that question last night.

It would've been nice to have Nic White on the bench...

Although Deans probably wouldn't have subbed Genia anyways... :rolleyes:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It will be stupid to win the toss and play with the wind in the first half. First time I read this. Always play against the wind in the first half. Genia and Barnes should also have tried to kick with a low tragetion into the wind. They tried way to often the up and under kicking which is a bitch to get right in those conditions.

Agreed.

And I don't know what they were thinking trying to run around the Scottish from their own 22m at the start of the game...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Wallabies seemed to wisen up for a period... and then resorted to playing dumb again...

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I arrived at the stadium at 5.30pm and thought, wow it isn't that bad, a bit chilly but not too bad. At 6pm the wind came up and down she came along with the temperature. I live on the New England for quite a while and I have to say I was rarely colder even when it was sub-zero up there.

As for those going on about Cyclonic conditions, I would seriously suggest they have never been within cooee of a cyclone if they thought that blustery strong wind was anything like a Cyclone. What over dramatized rubbish.

Now as to the game, Farrah got one over St Xavier College in the 7s final. Twas great and some superb running and passing on display.

As for the other game, well what can I say that hasn't been said? I thought that the Oz scrum, from my vanatage point high in the western stand, was lucky a couple of times not to be penalised for collapsing. I was screaming at Barnes and Genia to kick low in the first half. Who kicks high into a strong wind. I also couldn't understand why they persisted in kicking for the western touch line, the wind favoured a kick to the eastern side. In the first half they had the control to be able to work to the eastern side to get the kick away. Why did they not. This is part of being a "smart" Rugby player that Australians were always supposed to be. This is not something that is the province of the coach, it smacks of a lack of forethought and planning by the halves though.

All here know of my immense support and admiration for Deans as the Wallabies coach. I will not comment on selections any further than I have already on this thread, apart from to say everything I said about certain individuals not being up to the job and being selected on their potential and not on actual form was fully relaised. The only thing I will say about Mr Deans is just once before he is sacked I would like him to say something in an interview that makes sense and is actually relevent and means something. His latest installment of a press conference was just the latest in a long line of meaningless dribble. SACK DEANS NOW.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gnostic it's St Francis Xavier (not trying to be a nazi on corrections or anything its just that its my old school :)).

Agree re: the kicking, was one of the biggest issues for mine. I thought they did try a couple of low ones but didn't persist with it.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
A couple of things I meant to post:-

I am not blaming James Slipper in any way but just to ask a question - is he a LHP? I have always considered him a THP just from his relative performances for the Reds. I have always felt he was unstable at LHP and I think last night confirmed this. He wasn't helped by Simmons and Hooper not assisting him but he was under pressure a few times before those two were even on. I was unsure about this selection from the start but I readily admit from previous watchings he plays a better LHP than the other THP Kepu.

One other thing I noted during the second half the Wallabies had a very good chance after a drive on the western side of the park, Sharpe picked and went with Timani following to support and cleanout. Timani committed to drive Sharpe but his first contact with Sharpe was when he had already past him so he was left dragging Sharpe forward by the jersey instead of helping him and driving him. It also left SHarpe isolated and rightly got him penalised. My point - very poor technique. Maybe not the fault of Deans who has had him this year for a couple of days, but a school boy error that has been repeated a lot.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gnostic it's St Francis Xavier (not trying to be a nazi on corrections or anything its just that its my old school :)).

Agree re: the kicking, was one of the biggest issues for mine. I thought they did try a couple of low ones but didn't persist with it.

:). I stand corrected. Not to rub it in but the Farrah 6 has a nice turn of pace does he not?

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Why is the excuse getting tired? You can get the best out of your players, but if they don't deserve to be playing for their country they aren't going to perform on the international stage.

Our full strength side would have won that match tonight. I don't think that's a huge leap of faith to believe that.

And another tired old chestnut that has seen plenty of use during the Deans tenure.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Horrible night, awful result. I was staggered to read in the paper today that WE WON THE TOSS AND CHOSE TO PLAY INTO THE WIND!

Never mind all the criticism of the kicking by Barnes and Faainga spending the whole game offside in the loose, that decision alone cost the game. Hoof it upfeild, Play it in their half, healthy lead, defend and play safe second half?

No, lets do it real tough against people who play in this weather every week and who know each other and then we can coast home in the second half? Who on earth made that decision?

It was 6-6 with over 35 minutes to play .. The Wallabies had a hurricane at their backs playing in front of a home crowd against Scotland who had to traverse half the globe to get to the damn game and they had this advantage for almost an entire half. I'd take those odds any time.

Many coaches elect to play into the wind as it takes 20 mins or so at Test level just for teams to settle down and get into their patterns. They feel they can more fully take advantage of the wind,

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
After last nights debacle I needed some cheering up so I watched the U/20 Australia vs. Scotland. We won 67-12. Aggregate score between last night and the U20: 73 - 21. We win!

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
I wont be that upset if I was a Wallaby supporter. I know its not nice losing to any NH team but you lot had the same against the Poms in the past. If you take into consideration its only a few days after the last S15 match (goodness crazy the one that appoint this fixture should be shot dead) , its a newest team and the conditions a huge equaliser. Mind you I'll be heavy upset if we drop saturdays test against the Poms but thats just because its them. Good luck for saturday, bliksem those Druids.

We must be in a dark place when we are consolidating getting pats on the back from our friends from the veldt.

Thanks for your kind words, but for me, it only makes matters worse.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
There was better rugby being played in the mud and slops at Manly Oval on Saturday.

I actually enjoyed watching that despite the hug amount of kicking, but you just waited for someone to chance their arm and run it and it often paid off.

Definitely a tough loss to digest for Wallaby fans. I think one of the saving graces in this day and age is that there is so much (test) rugby that this will pass when focus turns to this weekend. More test rugby.

There is no doubt that there are concerns with player form and availability. While some are questioning Pocock's decision to not take the penalty, but where were the other leaders to help in that key decision (if it was the right decision). Sharpie and Moore should have been in the ear telling him what for.

This has been the biggest concern with the Wallabies for a few years - where are the wise old heads there to give a rocket, provide a 2nd opinion, etc. who are these players that all other top nations have?

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
It was 6-6 with over 35 minutes to play .. The Wallabies had a hurricane at their backs playing in front of a home crowd against Scotland who had to traverse half the globe for almost an entire half. I'd take those odds any time.

Many coaches elect to play into the wind as it takes 20 mins or so at Test level just for teams to settle down and get into their patterns. They feel they can more fully take advantage of the wind,

I new we were out of our depths when, having battled into it during the first half, finally the wind was at our backs, our kick went to long, comfortably over their on-goal, and we had to come all the way back and turn it over.

Schoolboy stuff really?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I question whether this not in great part the culture inculcated by the coach? He is known to be intolerant of those who do not buy into his systems and methods. Team first but not do much time for strong headed individuals.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think everybody should cut everybody slack. Payten shouldn't have called Bruce a moron. Bruce shouldn't launch needless attacks on Payten. I concede both had rational reasons that drew them to make such statements. But nothing is advanced by this at all. No-one wins.

That's deep Barbarian :)

I think OZ are in a world of pain if Barnes has to play 10 vs Wales in wet, dry, hail or cyclone. He is struggling big time IMO on actually steering an attack.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
:). I stand corrected. Not to rub it in but the Farrah 6 has a nice turn of pace does he not?

Pretty sure I saw him go in, very good gears & brakes for sure. I was walking around the stadium trying to get to the Wallaby autographs room at the time of the game. I did see them go in going around the outside of a couple of SFX/Frannies backs who aren't slow themselves. I love it when I see a player do that because I've always had team mates tell me to run straight no matter what. For mine, straight is good but if you see an opportunity to get the ball into space & you believe you have the pace to beat an opposing player on their outside then I say go for it. I did start rugby as a winger though - so maybe old habits die hard.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip...

I don't think a ground is harder just because its underwater. The local women's teams here have played at grounds like Gibbs Bros, a nice ground, but when it rains you can't see the side lines & some areas are literally under 15cm or more of water & other areas are sludge. I think its easier as a player on these grounds running around though than sitting there not moving as a spectator.

I'd like to see him say we are weak as p*** to my 61 year old mother straight after she braved the weather all night. Quite simply, the hard man, would have ended up with his gonads lodged up in his throat.

A quick google has revealed my mate's memory was a little rusty. It was 1975 not 1974 but he was not telling porkies about the water on the oval. Check this out. Scotland seem to be rain magnets.

Having been to Windy Wellington once or twice and experienced some their "gentle breezes with a wee bit of moisture", I think full credit to the 20000 + brave Novacastrians who braved the elements last night. I think they can rightly claim those who didn't turn up despite having tickets to the sell out match were as weak as p***. For one night the brave 20000 spectators at the ground became honorary Wellingtonians.

A great shout out to Mother Seahorse. Awesome effort. She did us all proud.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
It just about attitude. Scotland's skills are inferior and yes, the conditions are an equalizer of sorts but it's just about getting stuck in. The attitude of this Wallabies team has been wrong too often.
Well, Riptide the scotish pack is OK, what lets scotland down is their backs or lack of them, they are totally inept of thought, scotland scored 4 tries in the 6N and only 4 in the WC, it was a slugging match between the packs and scotland had the balls to keep fighting.
I have'nt read all the posts here but, what I have read seems to blame the backs, how can the backs perform in those kind of conditions, this was always going to be a fight up front.
Leaders on the field never stamped their authority, you were camped on scotlands line but, could;nt take advantage, you complain about the selection of some of th players yet the scots had 1/2 a doz players with just 10 caps between them
Now the northern sides fight a little longer, no more do they give in when just some points behind, they have learned to play for the 80.
Wales best chance of a win against you is the first test, some of the players who were not there to face you at the WC or Cardiff are now fit, as you say attitude, the Welsh will come to fight this time they may not roll over so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.