• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
The worst part of watching that game was the all-to-familiar, sick feeling of dread watching a Wallabies scrum pack down within penalty range. I knew straight away the penalty was coming and Scotland were going to convert it.

I don't see how a team can have such a massive liability and justify being ranked #2. When is this going to change? Palmer seemed to do a good job but I wonder how much work it will take to change our reputation in the eyes of refs

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Well, Riptide the scotish pack is OK, what lets scotland down is their backs or lack of them, they are totally inept of thought, scotland scored 4 tries in the 6N and only 4 in the WC, it was a slugging match between the packs and scotland had the balls to keep fighting.
I have'nt read all the posts here but, what I have read seems to blame the backs, how can the backs perform in those kind of conditions, this was always going to be a fight up front.
Leaders on the field never stamped their authority, you were camped on scotlands line but, could;nt take advantage, you complain about the selection of some of th players yet the scots had 1/2 a doz players with just 10 caps between them
Now the northern sides fight a little longer, no more do they give in when just some points behind, they have learned to play for the 80.
Wales best chance of a win against you is the first test, some of the players who were not there to face you at the WC or Cardiff are now fit, as you say attitude, the Welsh will come to fight this time they may not roll over so easily.

Dai, most of the frustration expressed here in drive by shooing fashion is directed at the failures of the collective.. the ARU, coaching, the players tactics and execution. Scotland are a very poor side, with an "OK" pack, none of whom will probably start for the Lions next year, although Grey is a shot. Yes, the rain rendered the role of the outside backs as being less important but the Wallabies with over 35 minutes to play with an enormous wind a their backs in front of a home crowd still conceded more points in the period with an overwhelming share of possession. This is nothing to do with NH or SH sides knowing how to play out the full 80.

No excuses for either side this Saturday. If Wales win, they will grow in confidence and I fear the Wallabies will not be able to stem the momentum and recover.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Rip, I cant overestimate the importance of having Sam Warburton on the field, he is not just a very good player he is an inspirational leader some say the difference between winning and loosing, I don't think I would go quite that far, But Wales will set you different Problems than the scots,
Yes you had opportunities that you didn't take, is that because like you the Australian side thought the scots unable to beat them no matter, the saying goes, pride comes befor a fall, was Complacency the only thing the aussies were guilty of Perhaps,
You will be stronger against Wales and now you will have something to prove, The SH sides have contemptuously writen off the NH sides and their tournaments without really knowing too much about them.
You talk of skill levels some of the NH sides are every bit as skillfull as your S15 sides, but Conditions up here prevent us playing to the style of the SH sides, I wont bore you any longer, there is so much I could say, but all Ill say for now is roll on saturday;)

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Rip, I cant overestimate the importance of having Sam Warburton on the field, he is not just a very good player he is an inspirational leader some say the difference between winning and loosing, I don't think I would go quite that far, But Wales will set you different Problems than the scots,

I think Tipuric is a superb 7; Wales are well covered in the event Warbuton is unavailable. Tipuric is probably an even better fetcher, and younger than Warburton.

Wales are a big mobile team who finally introduced some variety into their game before the RWC and then figured out how to play to those strengths. They were entirely too predictable in their patterns. Now they can punch a whole in the gain line in more varied ways and go from there. Nobody is underestimating Wales

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The worst part of watching that game was the all-to-familiar, sick feeling of dread watching a Wallabies scrum pack down within penalty range. I knew straight away the penalty was coming and Scotland were going to convert it.

Yeah, I admit when we were packing the scrum just before the final penalty there was a lot of nervousness in the area I was sitting. You could have cut the tension with a knife.

Just added this herald article. Pocock had some hypothermia after the game - not surprising. He wrote some very nice words about Newcastle & the crowd.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...-strong-claims-to-more-top-rugby/2582727.aspx

Moving on now to Wales...

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I think Tipuric is a superb 7; Wales are well covered in the event Warbuton is unavailable. Tipuric is probably an even better fetcher, and younger than Warburton.

Wales are a big mobile team who finally introduced some variety into their game before the RWC and then figured out how to play to those strengths. They were entirely too predictable in their patterns. Now they can punch a whole in the gain line in more varied ways and go from there. Nobody is underestimating Wales
Roberts will be missed in the middle, he organises the defence, which has been pretty good up till now, have to wait till sat to see the difference if any, Tupric is good but lacks a little of the strength of Warburton, I think the balance of our back row is very good at the minute, As I've said before Our TH is all we've got Adam Jones and then ziltch,

FANATIC

Fred Wood (13)
It will affect selections for Saturday night's Test against Wales. ''There are a couple of blokes we were looking at, but it would now be unrealistic for them to back up and expect them to put in the same effort,'' Deans said.

Excuse me but I am still stunned after this loss and just read this, and did I get this right; it sounds like Pocock is blaming the wind and the fact the scots didn't miss tackles. It is bloody rugby, not golf! About time Camp Wallaby moved moved from the holiday resort weather of Coffs and started sending our warriors into the freezer to harden up. Heres and idea, send them to Jindabyne, our lads grew up playing in the damn snow. If someone of Pococks fitness gets hypothermia playing an 80 minute game then the lads need to toughen up. I bet the scotts don't train anywhere they can work on their tan!

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Roberts will be missed in the middle, he organises the defence, which has been pretty good up till now, have to wait till sat to see the difference if any, Tupric is good but lacks a little of the strength of Warburton, I think the balance of our back row is very good at the minute, As I've said before Our TH is all we've got Adam Jones and then ziltch,

I dont think even the Kiwis have much depth at TH now that Hayman, Afoa are plying their trade abroad.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It will be stupid to win the toss and play with the wind in the first half. First time I read this. Always play against the wind in the first half. Genia and Barnes should also have tried to kick with a low tragetion into the wind. They tried way to often the up and under kicking which is a bitch to get right in those conditions.

It was a good choice to play into the wind in the first half with local knowledge suggesting the wind would probably increase in the second.
Pocock goes onto explain that they decided at half time not to rely on the wind in the second half but to concentrate on keeping it tight............WTF is that?
If you decide to run into the wind in the first half to gain advantage in the second, then why consciously decide to not to play to your earned advantage? Madness. Was this a mis-quote?
I thought at half time we were in an excellent position after a very well played 40 minutes by the Wallabies. It was very simple, or seemingly so, from that point on. Kick to the corners and take all points on offer. And yes, kick low and towards touch. Often in those conditions with the wind at your back it is best to not have possession and play field position and wait for the errors that will inevitably come for opportunities to score.
How many years has Deans had with the Wallabies? 4 maybe. Why has he not been able to alter their DNA in that time?
It really was a very poor second half performance on the back of a very good first half.

B

Bagger288

It really was a very poor second half performance on the back of a very good first half.

How can going in 6-3 down be seen as a very good half?
You had plenty of possession and field position in that first half, but failed to score more than one penalty.
Despite the wind, being behind on the score board is never 'very good'

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
How can going in 6-3 down be seen as a very good half?
You had plenty of possession and field position in that first half, but failed to score more than one penalty.
Despite the wind, being behind on the score board is never 'very good'

Because they were playing into a gale and were camped in their own half for most of the time. I am sure that Robinson would have hoped for another 12-15 points for the Scots effort in the first half.

I for one felt that we had it in the bag at oranges.

edit - Are you suggesting that the wind did not offer any advantage?

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
d
Because they were playing into a gale and were camped in their own half for most of the time. I am sure that Robinson would have hoped for another 12-15 points for the Scots effort in the first half.

I for one felt that we had it in the bag at oranges.

edit - Are you suggesting that the wind did not offer any advantage?

I don't think he's saying that, Ithink he's saying that despite the wind being to your advantage in the second half you were behind on the score board, which is where it counts, some very poor decisions too, in conditions like that you always take the points. Scotland could still be playing now there was no way they were going to score a try, you were looking for that golden opportunity to show scotland how good you are, when they allready knew.

Its a myth that you let the other fella go for his gun first.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
d
I don't think he's saying that, Ithink he's saying that despite the wind being to your advantage in the second half you were behind on the score board, which is where it counts, some very poor decisions too, in conditions like that you always take the points. Scotland could still be playing now there was no way they were going to score a try, you were looking for that golden opportunity to show scotland how good you are, when they allready knew.

Its a myth that you let the other fella go for his gun first.

I agree. Pococks says that the locals suggested that the wind would increase in the second half. That was his reasoning behind running into the wind first up.
Make hay while the sun shines is a better philosophy.
However, I think that the Wallabies did well to keep the deficit to 3 points at the half and that the Scots would have been a little disappointed to be restricted to scoring only 6 points.
The Wallabies started well in the second half and leveled the scores within minutes. A slow accumulation of points,WHENEVER ON OFFER, should have continued and the Scots would have lost heart pretty quickly.

That's my view from my warm living room watching the 46" flat screen. It may well have been a very different scenario in the middle.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
It was a good choice to play into the wind in the first half with local knowledge suggesting the wind would probably increase in the second.
Pocock goes onto explain that they decided at half time not to rely on the wind in the second half but to concentrate on keeping it tight....WTF is that?
If you decide to run into the wind in the first half to gain advantage in the second, then why consciously decide to not to play to your earned advantage? Madness. Was this a mis-quote?
I thought at half time we were in an excellent position after a very well played 40 minutes by the Wallabies. It was very simple, or seemingly so, from that point on. Kick to the corners and take all points on offer. And yes, kick low and towards touch. Often in those conditions with the wind at your back it is best to not have possession and play field position and wait for the errors that will inevitably come for opportunities to score.
How many years has Deans had with the Wallabies? 4 maybe. Why has he not been able to alter their DNA in that time?
Underestimate the Scots the only explaination.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Excuse me but I am still stunned after this loss and just read this, and did I get this right; it sounds like Pocock is blaming the wind and the fact the scots didn't miss tackles. It is bloody rugby, not golf! About time Camp Wallaby moved moved from the holiday resort weather of Coffs and started sending our warriors into the freezer to harden up. Heres and idea, send them to Jindabyne, our lads grew up playing in the damn snow. If someone of Pococks fitness gets hypothermia playing an 80 minute game then the lads need to toughen up. I bet the scotts don't train anywhere they can work on their tan!

Do you want thave a guess who was wallaby coach last time they a camp in coffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.