• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I think you gotta wait for the announcement of the team to play Wales before you can judge at how good or bad these selections are. Let's just hope for no injuries.

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Something just occurred to me. (lightbulb pic)

As much as we are cursing O'neil for the piss poor sceduling of the matches, perhaps he's one step ahead of us. The schedule has forced our selectors to choose players dependant on their Super Rugby schedules. Said Dingo:

"We looked at all the options around each position, in terms of the relative workloads each of the players have already had this year, the amount of preparation we were able to have with them before the game, and their ability to back up off a tight turnaround, before settling on the final combination,” Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says.

Perhaps big Jon has had enough of Dopey Deans making him look bad, and has limited his ability to make tired old selections by placing the schedule limitations on him. I suspect that this may be a condition of his 2012 contract. Dingo - a figure head only.

Wallabies in receivership?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Agree Slim, when you lift the lid and look through the whole media release, there's lot of rather odd and inexplicable things going on...

And what does Deans mean re QC (Quade Cooper): '...if we can can get him game time...' clearly referring to playing outside the Tests? Brisbane Premier Grade?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Could Kurtley be one of the 16 joining the squad after the Scottish test?
That would explain Deans giving Cooper more time to recover. He really is a confidence player and could do with a couple of good wins under his belt before TRC.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I still can't understand why Pyle has been cut from the squad. My only explanation as to why is "it's Robbie Deans". I am getting tired of that explanation though.

Other than that, I think this is a decent team to face the Scots.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
I get the feeling that quite a few are jumping onto the 'Bag Berrick Barnes Bandwagon'. Have we all forgotten how well Quade performed at the WC?

My recollection of Barnes and Cooper's recent performances for the Wallabies seems to accord with the view of The Roar (at http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/17/wallabies-rugby-world-cup-player-ratings/):
  • Cooper - "The big disappointment of Australia’s campaign. Says he was unaffected by the intense pressure of being ‘Public Enemy No.1′ but performances showed otherwise"; and
  • Barnes - "Had an impact every time he was introduced, noticeably made Cooper’s life easier but was under-used".
I don't think Barnes can be blamed for the Waratahs poor season in 2012. Also, with JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and Cooper (to an extent) unavailable through injury, I certainly don't think that there are too many better options for the Wallabies at 10.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I think you gotta wait for the announcement of the team to play Wales before you can judge at how good or bad these selections are. Let's just hope for no injuries.

Hmm. I rather think the actual game on Tuesday night may provide an equally good guide.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
I get the feeling that quite a few are jumping onto the 'Bag Berrick Barnes Bandwagon'. Have we all forgotten how well Quade performed at the WC?

My recollection of Barnes and Cooper's recent performances for the Wallabies seems to accord with the view of The Roar (at http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/17/wallabies-rugby-world-cup-player-ratings/):
  • Cooper - "The big disappointment of Australia’s campaign. Says he was unaffected by the intense pressure of being ‘Public Enemy No.1′ but performances showed otherwise"; and
  • Barnes - "Had an impact every time he was introduced, noticeably made Cooper’s life easier but was under-used".
I don't think Barnes can be blamed for the Waratahs poor season in 2012. Also, with JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and Cooper (to an extent) unavailable through injury, I certainly don't think that there are too many better options for the Wallabies at 10.

Barnes didn't get much time at 10 in the RWC, apart from the playoff for 3rd with Wales. He looked good at 12, but McCabe really ended up doing a great job there.

I'm not filled with confidence, but live in hope.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Would have liked to have seen Pyle over Timani. Barnes is a worry though, yes he did well at the WC, but that was at 12. He has been poor this year, really hope he avoids his traditional kick first mentality.

I do like the backrow combination though.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
Further to my previous comment - am I correct in assuming that Barnes being picked at 10 for the Scotland match, suggests that he will not start the Wales match (either at 10 or 12) and that Cooper & McCabe might be Dingo's 1st choice 10 & 12 pairing? as per the his selections throughout most of 2011.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Have a read of the comments of Deans in the SMH. Appears that Cooper will not play against Wales if I read it correctly.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
Further to my previous comment - am I correct in assuming that Barnes being picked at 10 for the Scotland match, suggests that he will not start the Wales match (either at 10 or 12) and that Cooper & McCabe might be Dingo's 1st choice 10 & 12 pairing? as per the his selections throughout most of 2011.

Yes, you most probably are, except QC (Quade Cooper) has been released from the squad... not sure if he comes back in after Tuesday given the comments by Deans about him needing game time.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Would have liked to have seen Pyle over Timani. Barnes is a worry though, yes he did well at the WC, but that was at 12. He has been poor this year, really hope he avoids his traditional kick first mentality.

I do like the backrow combination though.

He slotted in at 10 after Cooper did his knee in the Wales game....It was the best we looked all tournament, mind you Cooper was doing pretty well that match before the knee went to.
JOC (James O'Connor) played 10 on the EoYT, with Barnes at 12.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Maybe Cooper has been released for a flashmob game of touch (twitter style) and will be back in camp on Wednesday for Saturday.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I cannot get this re QC (Quade Cooper) if true. Especially with our serious lack of good 10s this June, surely using him on the bench and playing after say 50 mins could make major sense, for the team and for QC (Quade Cooper)'s lower profile return? Not to play him at all in June seems really odd to me.

Unless....we have a return of the darker elements of the Giteau syndrome whereby many insiders have told me that Deans did not at all take kindly to Giteau's willingness to confront issues that went against the coaches' known opinions. (Btw, a leading figure in Aus rugby told me recently that Gits did this with all his coaches all his career, just his way.) You'll recall that recently QC (Quade Cooper) defended himself publicly wrt RWC criticism of his play by arguing that he was not always given RWC game plans that in his view worked, or worked for his attacking style of play.

Pardon my idle speculation.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have thought that QC (Quade Cooper) speaking in that forthright fashion regarding the obviously poorly conceived RWC tactics would come back and bite him.

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)
You'll recall that recently QC (Quade Cooper) defended himself publicly wrt RWC criticism of his play by arguing that he was not always given RWC game plans that in his view worked, or worked for his attacking style of play.

Missed that - where was that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom