• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Scotland - 5 June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Blackjack

Why?

God dam it being a Wallabies supporter is hard. Did you see how fired up the Scots were that last scrum? Why weren't we? We looked like we wanted to be any place but there. We'll done Scotland. You wanted it more.​

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We needed to risk a few passes on attack when we were camped in their 22. And we needed to try for a drop goal earlier.

Only issue I had with Jaco is that he didn't make tacklers roll away. Another game where the attacking team got penalised as much as the defensive team. It shouldnt work out like that.

Get tacklers releasing faster and both teams would have had at least half a chance in attack.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Some crucial match official mistakes had a big bearing on this game - 2nd last scrum was wheeled - should have been Wallabies ball.

Was that after the Scot scrum had marched the OZ pack 5m and the OZ flanker had detached. I thought OZ were lucky not to have been penalized in the first one.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Honestly, no need for knee jerk reactions here. Couple days together and some players backing up after a few days vs a (poor admittedly) team that had been through the six nations. Credit to Scotland, but I'd blame scheduling.

Really, playing in driving rain, after a few days together, and maybe half a full strength team, if that. The Wallabies were on a hiding to nothing here. I'm not trying to be an apologist, just stating the facts.

In saying that, full credit to Scotland. Faster off the line in defence and less penalties meant a smart game and a close, but good, win.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Scotland deserved that win for their defensive effort in the 2nd half. For all Popock play impresses me his decision making as a captain leaves a lot to be desired. He should have taken the kickable 3 points early in the 2nd half to go 9-6 ahead.

After all the debate about the players who were unlucky to have missed the squad and could have featured in this game, they turn out to be the lucky ones. Not many debutants for Aus will win much praise for their performance. Some will be wrongly overly tarnished by the result making winning a 2nd cap extremely hard for them. For me the most of the poor play and decision making came from the senior players and they let down the new guys. Ioane was the best player for Aus and looked really sharp.

Well done to Scotland for the win that will give them the boost in confidence they need. Although they finished bottom of the 6Ns they made life difficult for most of their opponents and showed signs that with a little confidence it could be a very different story. I have a feeling those predicting a walk over to Aus don't watch much NH rugby and just based it on looking at the 6Ns table.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Just been following commentary online, so haven't seen the scrum, but this screams of another guess by the referee. Why would a team infringe in the set piece at the death knowing they will lose the game if caught? Surely the much much better percentage option is to give easy scrum ball to Scotland and trust your defence?

Slipper went down. I thought it was a fairly obvious penalty. I don't think we can have any complaints about that.

I think the previous scrum wasn't awarded to us because we started wheeling it once we were getting pushed backwards. The scrum didn't screw through the 90 degrees because we were dominant over their scrum whatsoever. If anything, we could have been penalised there as well.

Wallatahs

Allen Oxlade (6)
Waratahesque. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. At least we got a virtual Force - nice one, Pohman!
I agree that it was Waratahesque. At least now we know that it's not just the Tahs that can butcher a perfectly winnable game.

I thought both Morahan and Harris were ordinary. We could have used McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The big issue is that we had to play first choice players for 80 mins and we still lost. Wales this weekend will be very difficult to back up for.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
And highinbottom needs to learn how to take the ball into contact from the base of a scrum on your try line. Basics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Honestly, no need for knee jerk reactions here. Couple days together and some players backing up after a few days vs a (poor admittedly) team that had been through the six nations. Credit to Scotland, but I'd blame scheduling.

Really, playing in driving rain, after a few days together, and maybe half a full strength team, if that. The Wallabies were on a hiding to nothing here. I'm not trying to be an apologist, just stating the facts.

In saying that, full credit to Scotland. Faster off the line in defence and less penalties meant a smart game and a close, but good, win.
South Africa would have won that by several penalties. Just drive them into the corners all night. Just saying. We should have made more of all that field position.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Deans needs to go, terrible coaching. Scots were up quick in defence and with 3 pretty good kickers in the back line and quick chases the short grubber kick would have been better than high kicks.

I've hated deans from the 1st day as the wallabies coach. And I blame him for everything

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)

blame the scheduling?Rain? What a cop out, you sound like you are on the coaching panel.

We are the whipping boys of the NH, we hold no fear anymore, even now at home. Scrum falters AGAIN just when we need it.

We are up for a long miserable season

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree that it was Waratahesque. At least now we know that it's not just the Tahs that can butcher a perfectly winnable game.

I thought both Morahan and Harris were ordinary. We could have used McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

What did Harris do wrong? I doubt he even got the ball in attack and he had no issue in defence.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Dissapointing that we couldn't score a point in 40 minutes with a fucking gale up our arse. Great Sottish defense. Well done them.

Fuckin kick corners and roll it in? 6 word game plan for these conditions, what was TT and Dingo telling them?

up&under

Frank Nicholson (4)
its been hard enough supporting the tahs all year. now the wallabies dish that rubbish up. faarrrrk

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
The only problem I had with the last penalty was that both front rows had folded in a similar fashion for the last 6 scrums, at the Scotland end on the wallaby feed, and it was play on. But this was the Scotland feed, and they made it count - very professional.

Anyway, being at the wrong end (despite the wind) when the game was in the balance and not having taken it away from scotland in that second half was where it was lost. It was a slow train wreck to watch, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom