• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Seeing as Quade has actually played the odd game defending at 10, I suspect that it is actually more a tactical choice than to cover his defensive inadequencies.

Whatever you believe, Quade's defence, while still not great, is way improved on where it was two years ago. Perception is a hard thing to change for a lot of people.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Seeing as Quade has actually played the odd game defending at 10, I suspect that it is actually more a tactical choice than to cover his defensive inadequencies.

Whatever you believe, Quade's defence, while still not great, is way improved on where it was two years ago. Perception is a hard thing to change for a lot of people.
He has definitely defended in the front line at certain stages of matches.But he has spent plenty of time out the back as well.I haven't cracked the code as to when he defends where yet.Anybody??
I would agree that his tackling has improved.But I'm not yet sure it's at an acceptable stage yet.
It's definitely as good as some other high profile players, that don't get the same criticism...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Don't worry, even he's getting tired of the same crap getting trotted out again.

^ From the Tahs v Brumbies thread when Hugh Jarse made a joke about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s and Tom Carter's pass allocations. ;)

I guess even the great Rex Hunt hooks himself occasionally.

P

Paradox

Seriously though, it's unfortunate that there are big trade-offs with all our 10s.

I think Lilo could be the complete 10 but has no test rugby experience and isn't playing that position for the Brumbies. Has 50+ Super caps.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Barnes may be predictable, but he is a player everyone knows will play well under test pressure, bar perhaps his kicking options, and Cooper doesn't exactly have a glowing record there himself.

Lilo isn't playing at 10, telling as i'd have expected Deans to have been pushing that agenda heavily, To'omua is an EOYT prospect, leaving a Beale who in many ways is Cooper without the formidable pass and who imo should be at FB, and JOC (James O'Connor) who is heavily remniscent of Giteau and better suited, I think, to centres.

If we could be sure Cooper was going to manage the inevitable pressure he will get in the coming Lions matches I think his selection would be almost inevitable, even for Deans. But how can he (Cooper) prove it in time?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I hope we don't have to worry about Lelo and To'omua trying to match it with QC (Quade Cooper) for hot dogging under the tuterlage of Stephen Larkham, Laurie Fisher and Jake White. Something tells me they woudn't accept too much hot dogging.
I think and hope you're right - ahhhh Larkham: what better role model?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Barnes may be predictable, but he is a player everyone knows will play well under test pressure, bar perhaps his kicking options, and Cooper doesn't exactly have a glowing record there himself.

Lilo isn't playing at 10, telling as i'd have expected Deans to have been pushing that agenda heavily, To'omua is an EOYT prospect, leaving a Beale who in many ways is Cooper without the formidable pass and who imo should be at FB, and JOC (James O'Connor) who is heavily remniscent of Giteau and better suited, I think, to centres.

If we could be sure Cooper was going to manage the inevitable pressure he will get in the coming Lions matches I think his selection would be almost inevitable, even for Deans. But how can he (Cooper) prove it in time?

If Barnes controlled his option-taking in regards to kicks I'd be very happy with him wearing #10 for the Wallabies. He's a proven performer as you've mentioned and I think he's the only option for #10 right now who has a long passing game that can even compete with Cooper's. He's also great at using those long passes to unlock defenses (last gasp try against Wales) and showed us a couple of flashes of Larkham during the tests this past year. While I don't think he'll ever be able to pull razzle-dazzle moves like Cooper, he is an incredibly consistent player and those can be even harder to come by.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think Lilo could be the complete 10 but has no test rugby experience and isn't playing that position for the Brumbies. Has 50+ Super caps.

Kinda goes to my point. Might be the perfect option, but we don't know because he hasn't played test rugby yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.