• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Barnes may be predictable, but he is a player everyone knows will play well under test pressure, bar perhaps his kicking options, and Cooper doesn't exactly have a glowing record there himself.

Lilo isn't playing at 10, telling as i'd have expected Deans to have been pushing that agenda heavily, To'omua is an EOYT prospect, leaving a Beale who in many ways is Cooper without the formidable pass and who imo should be at FB, and JOC (James O'Connor) who is heavily remniscent of Giteau and better suited, I think, to centres.

If we could be sure Cooper was going to manage the inevitable pressure he will get in the coming Lions matches I think his selection would be almost inevitable, even for Deans. But how can he (Cooper) prove it in time?

After several poor performances at 10 for the Wallabies, I gave up on Barnes in that key position. I've not seen anything in his game to suggest he should be given that job again. IMO he should only be considered at 15, nowhere else.

I don't think either Beale or O'Connor have made a great fist of 10 at S15 or test level either. I am hoping that Will Genia's return will see an improvement in Cooper's attacking game which so far this year has also been off the pace.

Christian Lealiifano has a long pass to challenge Cooper's, but unfortunately this year has sometimes gone to ground rather than to hand. This has been uncharacteristic and will undoubtedly be corrected. Christian should be on the bench in the Lions tests as backup to Cooper so that he can get some of the experience so many claim he is missing. Experience can only be gained by playing at the level, and his form this year and last warrants his inclusion.

I also hold the view that the Lions will not be the formidable opponents some on this site seem to believe. I truly believe the All Blacks and Saffas remain the toughest opposition for the Wallabies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Christian Lealiifano has a long pass to challenge Cooper's, but unfortunately this year has sometimes gone to ground rather than to hand. This has been uncharacteristic and will undoubtedly be corrected. Christian should be on the bench in the Lions tests as backup to Cooper so that he can get some of the experience so many claim he is missing. Experience can only be gained by playing at the level, and his form this year and last warrants his inclusion.

No he doesn't. I agree with you that Lilo should be involved in some capacity, but his long pass simply isn't as good as Cooper's. Like it or not, Cooper has the best long pass in world rugby, and, with Cruden, the best overall passing game.

The Lions are a different issue to the All Blacks and the Springboks if only because of the atmosphere and the intensity of the contest. Logically they shouldn't be, but sport is full of weird little intangibles.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No he doesn't. I agree with you that Lilo should be involved in some capacity, but his long pass simply isn't as good as Cooper's. Like it or not, Cooper has the best long pass in world rugby, and, with Cruden, the best overall passing game.

The Lions are a different issue to the All Blacks and the Springboks if only because of the atmosphere and the intensity of the contest. Logically they shouldn't be, but sport is full of weird little intangibles.

Not disputing the class of Cooper's pass at all. Am saying that Christian's is the next best in Aust teams. I would not be at all concerned about Christian (or any other deserving debutant) playing the Lions if his form in S15 keeps up.

P

Paradox

His pass wouldn't impede the Ws.

0:15
1:05
1:19

Scott Allen's excellent piece here is why I rate JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 as well:

Scott Allen doesn't mention defense though.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Lions will have a very formidable pack. Plus some dangerous backs. That is a dangerous combination.

Eternity

Stan Wickham (3)
I think this game against the Cheetahs has once again shown why there isn't a single Tahs player that deserves a place in the XV against the Lions. Even Hooper, for all his running game, didn't make a dent at the breakdown. Gill would be a much better option. As for the others, Douglas looked hopelessly unfit and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a shadow of the player he was a few years ago. I think we can do better than both; Carter or Pyle spring to mind for Douglas, and Fainga'a or Tomane rather than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Dennis continues to be absolutely hopeless, as does Timani. The fact that both have represented Australia boggles the mind. They're not Super Rugby standard, let alone international standard. Betham does look like a decent prospect though, but not for this year.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think this game against the Cheetahs has once again shown why there isn't a single Tahs player that deserves a place in the XV against the Lions. Even Hooper, for all his running game, didn't make a dent at the breakdown. Gill would be a much better option. As for the others, Douglas looked hopelessly unfit and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a shadow of the player he was a few years ago. I think we can do better than both; Carter or Pyle spring to mind for Douglas, and Fainga'a or Tomane rather than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Dennis continues to be absolutely hopeless, as does Timani. The fact that both have represented Australia boggles the mind. They're not Super Rugby standard, let alone international standard. Betham does look like a decent prospect though, but not for this year.
I would argue that Paddy Ryan has been playing well for the last four weeks and deserves to be in the Wallabies.

P

Paradox

You have to find space at least for Robinson, TPN and Hooper in the 22 IMO. The Gill Vs Hooper thing is interesting but Hooper did very well at international level. Gill came off the bench for the W's and didn't show much. It could be Gill's year but Hooper hasn't got worse IMO.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Tahs who I'd pick:

Robinson
TPN
Douglas
Hooper

MAYBE AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), as he's performed for us int he past. Who knows what damage the Tahs are doing to his psyche.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Is that the criteria for representing the Wallabies these days is it? A Waratah who doesn't stink the place up for a couple of weeks and he 'deserves' a place?

So someone says a bloke is playing well for the Waratahs and your response is "A Waratah who doesn't stink the place up for a couple of weeks and he 'deserves' a place?" Thank Christ no one had said anything bad about Anthony Fainga'a this week. The hyperbole machine light explode!

;)

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
So someone says a bloke is playing well for the Waratahs and your response is "A Waratah who doesn't stink the place up for a couple of weeks and he 'deserves' a place?" Thank Christ no one had said anything bad about Anthony Fainga'a this week. The hyperbole machine light explode!

;)

I would argue that Paddy Ryan has been playing well for the last four weeks and deserves to be in the Wallabies.

You do know the definition of hyperbole, right?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I"m really confused.

What does Fainga'a have to do with people calling for Paddy Ryan to be made a Wallaby off the back of a couple of games where he was better than the rest of the Waratahs on the field?

P

Paradox

I"m really confused.

What does Fainga'a have to do with people calling for Paddy Ryan to be made a Wallaby off the back of a couple of games where he was better than the rest of the Waratahs on the field?

They're trying to discredit you fellow wise Brumby supporter. :mad:

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I"m so confused I cant even laugh, i'm genuinely baffled as to his point o_O

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you have something of a reputation for wearing Fainga'a-coloured glasses. I figured Paddy Ryan might get less derisive treatment if we tacked another surname on. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.