• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
6 is clearly an issue. At 7 we have an embarrassment of riches. There are few sides in the world for whom Gill or Hooper would not be starting (let alone Pocock, when healthy), and obviously that Smith bloke hasn't lost much while eating duck confit and drinking Bordeaux. I've been really impressed with Mowen and I think he deserves a shot, unless Palu comes back firing.

6. Smith
7. Hooper
8. /Palu

After watching Wales v. England, I think it's a fair chance that we'll see 6. Warburton and 7. Tipuric. Smith and Hooper/Gill would not be outmatched physically by such a pairing.
Mighty fine Manly back row there

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If we want smith I would be inclined to go with this as a starting backrow:

6 higgers or mowen
7 smith
8 palu

Palu to go nuts for 50, smith to move to 8, gill or hooper to come off the bench.
Scotty, like that combo and it is more balanced I know that.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Despite missing the opening two rounds, the 32-year-old ex-international is only behind Reds flanker Liam Gill for the most pilfers and turnovers forced in the entire competition after six rounds.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...-smith-loan-20130326-2grn8.html#ixzz2Odm27JkM

Stats well not bad and don't lie, them look at the work off the ball, ball in hand, and other skill sets that Gill hasn't yet developed. Gill, Hooper, and Pockock are all very fine players and will benefit from having Smith involved.
Gill has missed a game as well so not 2 less games only one. Hooper and Gill both have good all round games. And Gill can kick off both feet! :D.

The Question is Is Smith so much better than Hooper and Gill that we need to bend rules to get him in the team?

I, for one, wouldn't be breaking rules for him. The guys we have a top quality.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure Smith's case is so clear cut in terms of breaking the rules - he is currently playing for an Australian Super Rugby team. I would have thought that should be the major criteria. I always believed the rules were made to preclude people playing in overseas competitions.

I don't really have an opinion on Smith vs Gill - I haven't seen enough Brumby games to compare Smith's form. But I think the ARU should DEFINITELY make sure everything was done for Smith to be eligible. Even if he was considered 3rd in the pecking order that means he is potentially only 1 injury away from being in the match day squad.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Showed Sharpe the door.
Not sure about Smith I think everything was very mutual.
I think he thoroughly deserved to go off shore and play after 110 test, unlike Elsom who went to chase the coin and never really returned to the form prior to his sabbatical.

That had a lot to do with playing nonstop professional rugby for what was it, nearly 2 years? He produced some of the best rugby of his career both for Australia and Leinster during that period but his body simply fell apart and he's still feeling the impact of that today.

Gill has missed a game as well so not 2 less games only one. Hooper and Gill both have good all round games. And Gill can kick off both feet! :D.

The Question is Is Smith so much better than Hooper and Gill that we need to bend rules to get him in the team?

I, for one, wouldn't be breaking rules for him. The guys we have a top quality.

Gill is still a bit wet behind the ears at test level. He's just really cementing himself as a future star in Super Rugby this season and he hasn't really done much but come off the bench and see games out at the test level so far. I rate him very highly but he needs to start some more tests before anyone can really make a sound judgement on his value in the international arena.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As I was saying earlier, with typo courtesy of the Canberra Times.........

White wants keep Smith with Brumbies

ACT coach Jake White is intent on opening discussions with George Smith's Japanese club.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rug...-keep-smith-with-brumbies-20130326-2gsoc.html

Push to let Smith feast on Lions
BRUMBIES coach Jake White has begun to pave the way for openside flanker George Smith's return to the Wallabies by looking into extending his loan from Japanese club Suntory.
If they can extend the contract then there is no issue regarding eligibility.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If we want smith I would be inclined to go with this as a starting backrow:

6 higgers or mowen
7 smith
8 palu

Palu to go nuts for 50, smith to move to 8, gill or hooper to come off the bench.
If you want to challenge the sense of entitlement across Australian rugby pick mowen and smith.
Not sure the lions is the place to be sending messages for the run in to RWC2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I like it. Would like to see MMM at 6 in super xv though.
Yeah I would also like to see evidence of his mobility

On the back row, it depends on the balance and who compliments who

So........
Robinson, Moore, Palmer
Horwich, Douglas
Mowen, Smith, Palu

Bench
Hanson
Alexander
Ryan
MMM (if he can demonstrate the mobility) to cover 5/6, other options Kimlin or Dennis as workrate options
Fotu for Palu (power for power)

I would budget for Smith to play 80

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think we would be mad to not at least have Smith potentially available. How daft would we look if Hooper and Gill get crocked, and Smith is unable to be selected on a technicality. It isn't that far-fetched, I mean we all thought Pocock was made of Unobtainium, and these guys are constantly in a spot where they are subject to being smashed every which way.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I wouldn't throw out Higgers yet, think he has been pretty good so far this year.

I'd go with a backrow of Higgers, Smith and Palu at this point, with MMM and Fotu on the bench.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't be discounting anyone who played for the Wallabies last season at this stage.

There are still 10 rounds (of which most teams will play 9 games) before the initial 25 man squad is chosen. There will then be one final game where the fringe players get a chance to grab the last few spots in the squad.

Players who are currently considered on the outer due to injury or form have plenty of time to turn things around. For players that Deans will want to pick because they've been important members of his team in the last year or two, finding strong form in the month before the squad is announced is probably going to be enough.

I still see players like: Beale, Barnes, Polota-Nau, Cooper, Simmons, Cummins, Tomane, Phipps, Dennis, Slipper, A. Fainga'a, S. Fainga'a having plenty of chance to make the squad/team.

For the fringe players trying to break into the Wallabies, their form in the month or so leading up to the squad being announced is going to count for far more than their form at the start of the season. Players like Mogg, Lealiifano, Mowen, MMM, Gill, White, Auelua, Carter, Pyle, Fardy, Ryan etc. still have it all to do. They've all started the season brilliantly but that will count for nothing if they don't continue their strong form and look better than the experienced Wallabies they're trying to force out of a spot in the weeks leading up to the squad being picked.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Right now my backrow would probably be:

6. Mowen
7. Hooper
8. Palu
20. Smith (covering 6,7,8)

Status
Not open for further replies.