• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I don't want Mogg at 15 until we know he can consistently defend there. For mine, he comes off the bench and tries to make something happen if its needed. That leaves fullback difficult, but I'd prefer Barnes there.

Assuming Kurtley doesn't make it back and Mitchell doesn't score 6 tries in the next 3 games:

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Tapuai
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. JOC (James O'Connor)
15. Barnes

21. White
22. Lilo (10/12 cover)
23. Mogg (back 3 cover)

T

TOCC

If he does it won't be at fullback, the Hurricanes exploited his poor positioning at fullback all game. Yes the Hurricanes kicking was fantastic, but Folau was caught out of position a number of times.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
All the talk a few pages back about MMM not being injured as much anymore put the mocker on him. Fuck.
They were speculating that he's done a grade 3 AC injury in his left shoulder.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
If he does it won't be at fullback, the Hurricanes exploited his poor positioning at fullback all game. Yes the Hurricanes kicking was fantastic, but Folau was caught out of position a number of times.
I'm glad someone else noticed it. It won't make a difference to the Sydney media tomorrow unfortunately.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
All the talk a few pages back about MMM not being injured as much anymore put the mocker on him. Fuck.
They were speculating that he's done a grade 3 AC injury in his left shoulder.
Will he have time to be in contention for the wallabies with that injury?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
so at week 8 id suggest the following are pretty obvious
palmer> slipper

Palmer had possibly his weakest performance of this season and Slipper didn't play so I'd love to hear how you came to that conclusion based on the Week 8 performances.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Palmer had possibly his weakest performance of this season and Slipper didn't play so I'd love to hear how you came to that conclusion based on the Week 8 performances.
He said "at" week 8, not "on the evidence of" week 8. This originally started as a team based on the Super season thus far, not who one wants in the Wallabies, or who played well just this week (or badly).

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Will he have time to be in contention for the wallabies with that injury?

In a grade 3 you have a partial rupturing of both the AC and CC ligaments, this results in a displacement of the shoulder out of the socket. Essentially the ligaments tethering your clavicle to your shoulder tear and your collarbone becomes unattached from your shoulder blade.

He's out for the Lions. Sorry guys. The minimum recovery time for an injury like this to even get back to 'normal' usage (aka much less strenuous than anything involving rugby) is around 8 weeks. Unless he has an absolute blinder of a recovery he isn't going to be fit or healed in time.

Fuck.

Source: Mammalian Anatomy/Phys and two friends who have had multiple shoulder reconstructions over the past few years

T

tranquility

Slipper is a darn good player. Although Palmer does bring the 'Gimli' aspect to the trenches.

T

tranquility

Funny you should ask, Grade 3 AC separations are pretty much the hardest to gauge in terms of recovery (there are 6 grades). In a grade 3 you have a partial rupturing of both the AC and CC ligaments, this results in a displacement of the shoulder out of the socket. Essentially the ligaments tethering your clavicle to your shoulder tear and your collarbone becomes unattached from your shoulder blade.

He's out for the Lions. Sorry guys. The minimum recovery time for an injury like this to even get back to 'normal' usage (aka much less strenuous than anything involving rugby) is around 8 weeks. Unless he has an absolute blinder of a recovery he isn't going to be fit or healed in time.

Fuck.

Lucky the force literally have the best physio in the business. Plus Ian King is over there, who will look after his rehab and is a genius. He will be doing all the right things, so I wouldn't count him out just yet.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Lucky the force literally have the best physio in the business. Plus Ian King is over there, who will look after his rehab and is a genius. He will be doing all the right things, so I wouldn't count him out just yet.

Based on the reports it's a big ambiguous how bad the tearing was, this can make a huge difference. Based on the fact that it was a Grade 3 you could have 5% tearing or 65% tearing basically. Luckily since it didn't get marked as a Grade 5 the degree of separation isn't that bad which may indicate that the degree of tearing wasn't too severe either.

If for whatever reason they opt for surgery though he's likely out for a few months. I hope they can patch him up and get him fit in time. He's going to be spend a lot of time on the bike in the coming weeks.

T

tranquility

No way he will get surgery unless their is literally no other option.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
There isn't any real way of telling until the swelling goes down and they scan it.

From what I saw though, didn't look too bad. He was moving and circling his arm (with assistance) while on the field, and jogged off. Now I know from experience, that there isn't a chance in hell he's ruptured/dislocated etc the joint, because he sure as hell would not have jogged off, or even tried to move his arm while out there.

I reckon we might see him back about 2 weeks before the Lions, which would be excellent (less time to get injured again).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Hugh McMeniman
6. Ed Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Digby Ioane
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Alfi Mafi
15. Israel Folau

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
There isn't any real way of telling until the swelling goes down and they scan it.

Yeah I was thinking the same which is why I was questioning the first diagnosis a bit. I can't imagine the swelling would have been low enough to get an accurate idea of what was going on for at least a few hours after the game. Sadly I'm going into the administrative and not practicing side of the medical field but would the swelling stop them from getting a proper MRI reading? They seem to be able to rush those guys into the MRI machine pretty much right away after injuries.

I agree with you on your last statement too. Although a guy like MMM who is pretty accustomed to pain with all that adrenaline coursing through him could potentially have played through an injury that was worse than it looked. If they were that quick to call it a Grade 3 though then he had to have some kind of tearing because the clavicle separation is literally impossible to miss, you can usually see it with your eyes as the end of the bone presses up against your skin. Gross.

I really hope he is back in time. Losing him or Mowen would seriously fuck our pack balance for the Lions tour.

P.S. I thought Speight wasn't eligible until the end of 2013?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
They can scan people 24 hours after an injury, but only because they have the injured limb on ice almost the whole time. There is a fantastic herbal cream/ointment that does an even better job than ice, called Arnica. It's un-fucking-believable how much that stuff reduces swelling/bruising etc, all rugby teams should have buckets full of it.

I really am dubious about hwo bad this injury is though, you cant jog (bouncing of the shoulder) or move your arm if its a serious injury, and unless somethings torn badly he could be back in 6 weeks or so.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I really am dubious about hwo bad this injury is though, you cant jog (bouncing of the shoulder) or move your arm if its a serious injury, and unless somethings torn badly he could be back in 6 weeks or so.

How long did he stay on after he got hurt? I was half asleep during the match and don't remember at all. If he came off pretty quickly and jogged off it could have just been adrenaline. Hopefully it's just that he isn't hurt badly.

Definitely going to look into that Arnica stuff. I have some pretty minor but chronic tendonitis in my left ankle from an injury when I was a kid. Also probably always going to have issues with swelling in my back from breaking it the other year, anything that I could topically apply to reduce the swelling (and the pressure on my nerves) would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.