• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Can you reference which tries you're referring to? Just because he wasn't there in defence but that does not mean it's his fault, on numerous occasions the Tahs had just turned the ball over and he was in front line on attack.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've just watched this weeks highlights package on the blog.
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/super-rugby-highlights-round-8/

I have to mention Folau's positioning in defence on 3 of the Hurricanes tries. Just terrible.
On the "cruel" bounce he seemed to be loping across banking on a good bounce: not sure that's forgiveable.
Of the 2 tries scored down the near touchline I'm not sure what you want from him - tackles had been missed by others: he might have read the first one better but that would have been a bonus - although for $700k maybe I should expect him to give us that bonus.
One of them was Betham's fault - I am sure not getting the man love for him.
I think generally IF's positioning is poor and he's covering it 80% of the time with sheer ahtleticism.
Of his claim to a Wallaby jersey I would rate it: unconvincing.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs have their back three very mobile and active in attack. They are all struggling in transition and team in totality is not working hard enough to cover

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
If Izzy plays for the Wallabies (and I am saying 'IF' Slim), surely it will be on the wing and not at 15. This would reduce the impact of his defensive issues (although he can tackle just fine).

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Folau's positioning was not a problem in any of the tries.

1st try - came from a kick by Canes that they recovered - Folau was one of the players trying to catch the ball on the near side of the field - when it was moved immediately to the far side of the field he was caught on the near side - nothing he could do about that.

2nd try - down the near side touchline - Folau was exactly where he needed to be - close to the touchline and in behind the defensive line - he made the tackle on Smith but there was a man outside him who scooted down the touchline.

3rd try - previous ruck centre field right under the posts with Hurricanes lined out on both sides - Folau started directly behind the ruck - McKibben recognised there were threats both sides so you can see him direct Folau to cover the far side whilst he provides cover on the near side - ball was kicked in behind the line on McKibben's side so if anyone was out of position it was McKibben.

4th try - started with a turnover - Folau in centre field behind the line so was in good position but then didn't show enough urgency to get across to the kick through and was then beaten on the inside once Savea had recovered the ball - positioning was fine but clearly needed to do better than he did.

Positioning might have been out on other occasions during the match but not when the tries were scored.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Guys I have created a specific thread for discussion of the upcoming 30-man squad. Let's keep this as a weekly wishlist/form discussion thread.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. James Slipper
4. Sam Carter
5. James Horwill
6. Richard Brown
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Matt To'omua
11. Alfi Mafi
12. Ben Tapuai
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Henry Speight
15. Israel Folau

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i thought brown was great last night
do not understand what peolple see in kimlin> can be counted on for multiple dropped balls/lost in contact errors a game
those times when u think "fuckin forwards in the backline" are usually attributed to him

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
i thought brown was great last night
do not understand what peolple see in kimlin> can be counted on for multiple dropped balls/lost in contact errors a game
those times when u think "fuckin forwards in the backline" are usually attributed to him

Because he has a phenomenal workrate, and is good in the lineout........ despite having tits for hands........

Hoolly Doolly

Fred Wood (13)
1. Alexander
2. Moore
3. Palmer
4. Horwill (Presence has lifted the reds Pack.)
5. McMenimum (hoping he's back in time)
6. Mowen (alt McMenimum but more likely Dennis or Higgenbotham YUCK!))
7. Smith (DO IT ARU!!! Likely Hooper but think Gill has been more impressive so far this season)
8. Auelea (Fills a damaging ball carrier and bring the hurt on in the mould of Kefu thats unfullfilled with years of using Palu here alt Mowen but it is likely Higgenbotham)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mafi or Speight (likely pick will be Ioane)
12. Tapuai or Lealifano (likely pick will be McCabe YUCK!)
13. Ashley-Cooper ( i really think Ioane should have a crack here)
14. Folau (ARU have spent a packet on him. he's in the 15 whether we agree or not. Wing is best at this level)
15. Mogg (My Pick) Judas (Likely Pick. ARU are unlikely to play a rookie ahead of someone theyve forked out a squillion over)
16. Hanson
17. Slipper
18. Ryan (more likely Kepu will get the cap)
19. Simmons(alt Pyle)
20. Likely to be Dennis or Higgenbotham but should be either Brown or Cotterall
21. Coin Toss between Gill and Hooper
22. White (my Pick) Phipps(Likely pick and no idea why)
23. Judas(can cover 10,11, 12,14,15) Mogg (hopefully) Drew Mitchell will probably be the likely pick from the ARU.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wont name them from 1-15, but based upon super rugby form this year, I hope these following guys are given a run in TRC or the End of Year Tour, if they haven't already been capped in the Lions Tour.
Forwards: Scott Sio, Hugh Pyle, Ben Mowen, Fotu Auelua, Ed Quirk, Jake Schatz, Albert Anae, Tetera Faulkner
Backs: Nic White, Jesse Mogg, Matt To'omua, Christian Lealiifano, Kyle Godwin, Israel Folau, Alfie Mafi, Tevita Kuridrani

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Gill's form atm is ominous. I'm finding it hard to pick Hooper ahead of him on current form, even taking into account Hooper's standout performances at test level last year.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
It's getting to that time of the season where I'm starting to cross my fingers that we do not sustain any major injuries before the lions tour. It is almost inevitable that we will lose one or two along the way. Let's just hope they are not a key player. Losing Horwill, Genia and Moore (touch wood) would destroy our chances of winning. You could probably add Palmer and Robinson to that list as our two best scrummaging props

Status
Not open for further replies.