• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For Robbie, I suspect the following changes to my side:

3 Alexander
6 Dennis
7 Hooper
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 McCabe
15 Barnes

Bluuuurrrrgh.
I could live with Hooper, if he played as he did last night. The points of difference with Smith, Gill and Hooper are so fine really, they are all very good.
The others - yeah. That said, Alexander played OK at THP at the latter parts of last season. Still don't like it.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why do you think he'll pick Dennis? It's hardly like he was a favourite last year. He was the best 6 in Super rugby and deserved his spot last year. He played ok and sometimes Higgers got the spot. He's not really shown any favouritism for him.

There's no way McCabe and Barnes are going to get picked not playing Super rugby. Gotta remember he also picked Palmer at 3 in the first game and then he got injured.

Well I hope not, but both Barnes and McCabe made a squad with little or no super rugby, and Robbies history doesn't fill me with confidence.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I'd be very comfortable with your match day squad, Scotty. In fact I could see three tight wins, a la the recent Welsh victories, from that lot.

Last night's brutal game allied with the Tahs' excellent performance against the reigning Super champions on Friday would, surely, be causing some sleepless nights among the Lions brains trust. Throw in the Force's outstanding defence against the Saders last week and I reckon the tourists are up for six or seven bloody hard matches.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Our teams have definitely stepped it up in the physicality stakes.

The Tahs are the best in contact with the ball, the Brumbies are well organised in defense and attack plus have the best scrum, while the Reds have been added flare with their playmakers and get the quickest ball out of the break down.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Think its important use working combinations especially at 9 and 10. Like Genia and Cooper for example but I think Barnes is the key man to expose the Lions. Especially if they use the out-in defense most the NH teams are using. Cooper tactical kicking is awful and you end up making a lot of tackles in the end if you lose possession.

12 and 13 as well as 9 and 10 combo's will be a key. Don't make same mistake our clown did by taking 2 steps back every 2nd game by not selecting Jacque Fourie as he and De Villiers complemented each other well and robbed them of being one of the great combinations in the game. Other key would be the captain and a guy who have the ability to communicate well with the referee like Genia.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
I still think Mogg is going to need to continue to be a superstar in Super Rugby right up until the squad is selected to be a chance at being the starting 15. His defence will be a major worry, particularly with the potential that he will be the last line defender against the likes of Tuilagi, Roberts, BOD, Visser, and North. For someone with questionable tackling ability, these are not the sort of players you'd want running at him in open space.

I think Mogg's best chance is to come off the bench. I find it highly unlikely that we'd pick a debutant at 15 for the first Lions test. I also think he is more likely to be a Wallaby winger than fullback (much like Joe Roff).

Deans will be stuffed either way. If Mogg isn't selected at 15, there will be outrage that a star Super Rugby player has been left out. If he is and struggles on debut, dropping high balls and getting steamrolled by massive Lions backs, Deans will be pilloried for throwing Mogg to the wolves in his first test.

As long as Barnes isn't 10, the Wallabies generally look better with him in the side than out of it. Providing he comes back from the hand injury and doesn't sustain another injury prior to the squad selection, I think he has enough games to prove his fitness and form and retain the 15 jersey.
Its not the inside backs job to bring the attacker down. His job is to try and hold him up as long as possible and wait for a forward to bring him down while the defense reset. You will see this tactic being employed against the Bulls a lot especially if Spies standing next to Steyn. Always amazed me how the crowd roars and thinks him driving two guys back fighting not to go to ground is a good thing as its being done deliberate.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Here is a question that occured to me tonight- people say that if Folau signs with League, he shouldn't be picked to play the Lions. Should we take the same stance with Dan Palmer? I am far from certain he is our best 3 (was underwhelming tonight), and even if he is he is not far in front of 2 or 3 others. He has already signed with an overseas club. He may come back, but he may not. Do we need to be consistent here?

I understand the two situations aren't exactly the same, but the underlying fact is both are leaving the Aussie game (that is IF Izzy signs with league).

This is an excellent point. What about players who have announced that they will retire? Should we not have selected Sharpie last year? It seems to me that when it's a big series (Lions, TRC, etc.) you need to select the team that will give you the best chance of winning the series. EOYT or weaker visiting sides is when you blood players, reward service, etc.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What I still don't know:

Who is the best tight head, blindside and 12.

I thought Lilo was head and shoulders above Taps last night. The latter was fairly anonymous, perhaps because he was getting cut out by some beautiful wide balls from Genia and Cooper. But that's only one game and I think he's generally been very good all season. For me, it's Lilo a nose in front but could easily change.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
People keep saying that but it isn't true. Folau took a substantial pay cut to come to rugby.
This is just not true.
Folau left AFL without a contract to go to. He looked at the NRL but most clubs had spent their salary caps or only had a small amount to spend. Only then did he look at rugby and the Tah's and the ARU forked out for him.
He didn't take a pay cut he took the best offer at the time. 12 months later salary caps have eased. Who knows what he actually wants to do.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought Lilo was head and shoulders above Taps last night. The latter was fairly anonymous, perhaps because he was getting cut out by some beautiful wide balls from Genia and Cooper. But that's only one game and I think he's generally been very good all season. For me, it's Lilo a nose in front but could easily change.

I'd have to watch the tape, I didn't think either stood out in general play, but Lilo fell over the line for a try and was obviously prominent with his goal kicking.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Taps dropped at least 1 ball but ran hard. Lealifano got sin binned for cynical play. Pretty even I'd say

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Taps dropped at least 1 ball but ran hard. Lealifano got sin binned for cynical play. Pretty even I'd say

Lilo was unlucky to be sin binned. Jackson said he threw the ball away after the whistle but it was white who threw it away. Hence the look on lilos face when carded.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought it was for holding on i the ruck off his feet.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'd have to watch the tape, I didn't think either stood out in general play, but Lilo fell over the line for a try and was obviously prominent with his goal kicking.

Head and shoulders might have been a bit of an exaggeration. I thought Lilo did a good job stepping in for To'omua as well. The way the Brumbies play, he sees a lot more of the ball as second playmaker. To be clear, I'd be happy with either at 12 as both run hard, can kick and have good passing games.

Not that he's in the frame at all, but last night also showed why A Fainga'a is a high quality Super Rugby player but not a test match option.

Taps dropped at least 1 ball but ran hard. Lealifano got sin binned for cynical play. Pretty even I'd say.

Cynical play that saved a try. I thought it was the right choice. Gits did that a couple of seasons ago (against England? Wales? they're all a blur). Not saying it's a credit to either player, but to my mind it's not a black mark against Lilo's performance.

Rebel rouser

Ted Fahey (11)
Head and shoulders might have been a bit of an exaggeration. I thought Lilo did a good job stepping in for To'omua as well. The way the Brumbies play, he sees a lot more of the ball as second playmaker. To be clear, I'd be happy with either at 12 as both run hard, can kick and have good passing games.

I think this is a crucial point. Selecting the 12 is not as straightforward as who is the 'best' player - it's also about what style do you want your backline to play. Lilo (and Barnes) serve as a second playmaker in the backline whereas Taps and McCabe are basically hard-hitting ball-runners.

Personally, I think we should absolutely be pursuing a second-playmaker option. It gives the backline much more creativity and potentially opens up the attack. That, and Lilo's excellent goal-kicking make him my first choice.

Having said that, it is arguable that with Genia in the backline you already have two play-makers at 9 and 10 rather than 10 and 12... so make of it what you will.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I'd be happy with either as well. In fact I would lean towards Lilo as he can act as back up goal kicker.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I think this is a crucial point. Selecting the 12 is not as straightforward as who is the 'best' player - it's also about what style do you want your backline to play. Lilo (and Barnes) serve as a second playmaker in the backline whereas Taps and McCabe are basically hard-hitting ball-runners.

Personally, I think we should absolutely be pursuing a second-playmaker option. It gives the backline much more creativity and potentially opens up the attack. That, and Lilo's excellent goal-kicking make him my first choice.

Taps is underrated in this regard, I think. He doesn't need to play this role for the Reds, but he creates space and is a good and willing passer. He probably can't step into 10 like Lilo can, but he's certainly not one-dimensional like McCabe.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
What I learned from this weekend:

Cooper is the best 10 and creates much more than the others.
Douglas has to partner Horwill
Mogg and Folau need to be in the squad and probably the 23. Maybe Izzy to start at wing and Mogg on the bench.
Robinson is the best loose prop.
Smith is the best 7.
Palu if fit is the best 8 by far.
Digby still offers a running option the others can't match.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the best 13.

What I still don't know:

Who is the best tight head, blindside and 12.

I would substitute Mowen for Palu at 8 based on consistent form this year. Otherwise, agree with all points.

From this weekend's games, the Brumbies front row dominated the scrum. Palmer is the best No3 at scrum time. Doesn't do much otherwise. I would have Robbo in place of Benny A though. Christian finished in front of Taps last night, but only a split hair between them. Kyle Godwin next best. Best No 6 would probably be MMM but he may not be back in time. Otherwise, ?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
From this weekend's games, the Brumbies front row dominated the scrum. Palmer is the best No3 at scrum time. Doesn't do much otherwise. I would have Robbo in place of Benny A though.

Really? I was surprised at how much they didn't dominate in the scrum. I think the penalties were about even and the Brumbies never had the Reds on the ropes. I thought the best Aussie scrum performance was easily from the Waratahs, who had the Chiefs in serious trouble and used the scrum as a strong platform all game.

Status
Not open for further replies.