• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Last season it was Moore, TPN, daylight, twilight, one of those anti-depression sunlamp lights, Fainga'a. This year is a totally different story. After all those head knocks, I'm not sure that TPN should play rugby, let alone for the Wallabies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The tahs/Chiefs game was nice to watch from a Wallabies perspective. All of the big names performed.
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - exceptional.
TPN - had a very strong game, albeit one or two dodgy throws in the first half. If he continues to perform like this he is a shoe in for the bench spot for the first test imo. What he brings to the table is undeniable. He has a good work rate, plays a very physical style in attack and defence, takes a lot of hit up, and is clearly a strong scrummager.
Palu - anyone who says Palu doesn't break tackles needs glasses. Palu continually got the tahs on the front foot. exactly why the wallabies need him.
Robinson - strong in the scrum and otherwise solid.

Finally I thought Folau was super impressive. He certainly doesnt look green anymore; he looks comfortable. He has to be up there with Mogg as the form fullback of the comp. If I see more performances like this I'll be calling for his inclusion in the squad come june.

T

Train Without a Station

I agree Folau had a great game but he can't be a real contender for the full back spot. He does not possess a complete game. He is primarily lacking in a kicking game. If you had no Mogg or JOC (James O'Connor) to choose from maybe, but not at their expense.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I agree Folau had a great game but he can't be a real contender for the full back spot. He does not possess a complete game. He is primarily lacking in a kicking game. If you had no Mogg or JOC (James O'Connor) to choose from maybe, but not at their expense.

Definitely agree. If we do see him for the Lions, you'd think it would be on the wing or off the bench -- and probably both. A complete lack of a kicking game has not stopped Digby from being a successful and dangerous international winger.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Even before yesterdays game Folau was a sure thing for the squad, just too dangerous around the field to leave him out. Add in a proven big game temperament - and didn't we see that yesterday - and the question was always how. Run on winger or bench impact player?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So IMO here is where things stand at the moment:

1. Robinson
2. Moore (even as Robbie's favourite you'd think TPN would be on the bench)
3. Alexander, Slipper or Palmer (Kepu a longshot)
4. Horwill
5. Douglas (you'd think he's locked this down, only Timani, MMM or Simmons are challengers)
6. Higgers, MMM, Dennis or Mowen
7. Smith, Hooper or Gill
8. Palu (Auelua a contender but not for starting you would think. Mowen probably a 6)
9. Genia
10. JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, To'omua, Cooper or Lealiifano
11. Ioane, Shipperley, Folau, Mogg, Tomane or Mitchell
12. McCabe, Tapuai, Barnes or Lealiifano
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Ioane, Shipperley, Folau, Mogg, Tomane or Mitchell
15. Beale, JOC (James O'Connor), Barnes, Mogg or Folau

I think people are too quick to rule out Beale, first test is still just under two months away, reckon he will be back by then. At his best he is very good, so if he shows a bit of form for the Rebels he MAY get picked.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Definitely agree. If we do see him for the Lions, you'd think it would be on the wing or off the bench -- and probably both. A complete lack of a kicking game has not stopped Digby from being a successful and dangerous international winger.

This is going to be a controversial statement, but provided he commits to Australian rugby I wouldn't mind seeing him take Digby's wing spot sometime.this year. Digby has been playing well but his ball security still often let's him down. Folau brings a set of skills that are different but more diverse and he would match up well against the ABs.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I agree Scotty. Digby no longer has a lock on a wing spot. I'd still call him a front-runner because he has lifted in big games in the past, but he needs to show a bit more for the Reds.

A lot at stake tonight after a few Tahs players threw down the gauntlet last night. Will be watching Simmons, Mowen, Ioane, Tomane, Ships and Mogg extra closely.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I reckon we have two options vs the lions:

A. Pick the same guys from last year ignoring form and hoping they click (likely what deans will do)

B. Pick form experienced players plus form combinations (even if it means debutants).

1. Robinson
2. Moore
3. Palmer or Slipper (see what happens tonight)
4. Douglas
5. Horwill
6. Mowen
7. Smith or Gill
8. Palu

9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Tomane
12. Tapuai
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Folau
15. O'Connor

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
The thing is Digby does more work than any other winger in the country. He doesn't have the high end speed of others but he is great in close to the action. He does need to continuously work on his ball security as this can be an issue. If Cooper plays 10 then Digby will be the 11. They really work well together.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Ball security and catching the high ball. Not to mention that we know he isn't going to pass it.

He is awesome but there might be other options that are more awesome.

Don't forget that JOC (James O'Connor) also works very well with QC (Quade Cooper), and if QC (Quade Cooper) is 10 then JOC (James O'Connor) will be in the back three.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slipper vs Palmer tonight is the real contest, not Reds vs Brumbies

Kepu and Ryan haven't been that good this year, Ryan's fallen off since his great start to the season.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
This is going to be a controversial statement, but provided he commits to Australian rugby I wouldn't mind seeing him take Digby's wing spot sometime.this year. Digby has been playing well but his ball security still often let's him down. Folau brings a set of skills that are different but more diverse and he would match up well against the ABs.

Glad it was a Reds fan who said it. Digby needs to show a bit more, IMO. We know he's class, but there are some game breaking outside backs in Oz right now. The team you suggested is bloody dangerous. I would be happy with Digby instead of Folau or Tomane since either would be deadly off the bench.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Digby starts with Tomane, Folau comes off the bench. Somebody like O'Connor at the back to do the distributing/kicking would hopefully counteract both their flaws in that area.

Personally I like Alexander over Robinson, but I don't see it happening.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
cheated a bit and put Mogg and Folau in there, no wingers have really stood out imo

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Dan Palmer
4. Sam Carter
5. Kane Douglas
6. Ed Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
10. Bernard Foley
11. Henry Speight
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Jesse Mogg

T

Train Without a Station

cheated a bit and put Mogg and Folau in there, no wingers have really stood out imo

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Dan Palmer
4. Sam Carter
5. Kane Douglas
6. Ed Quirk
7. Liam Gill
8. Ben Mowen
9. Will Genia
11. Henry Speight
12. Christian Lealiifano
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Israel Folau
15. Jesse Mogg

Fuck you hate Quade that much you'd rather just not have a 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.