• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Taqele for TRC ???

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w.../story-e6frf4pu-1227355612951?from=public_rss

Cheika replied: “I think you’d have to say he’s right up there, he’s a profile that we don’t have, that big type of winger so he’s right up there challenging with the other wingers that have been performing and have performed for Australia already, in last season’s spring tour. It would be naive of me not to have a look at him but the last five round games and then finals will see if he can go up to the standard.”

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
"Now NSW will focus their attention on retaining his services for next season.

Naiyaravoro has a deal with the Scottish Rugby Union to join Edinburgh but is believed to have a get-out clause should he be capped by the Wallabies.

On current form he would deserve a test call-up anyway, but the situation gives Cheika extra reason to hand him a Wallabies debut in The Rugby Championship."
AtomicBomb.gif

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
"Now NSW will focus their attention on retaining his services for next season.

Naiyaravoro has a deal with the Scottish Rugby Union to join Edinburgh but is believed to have a get-out clause should he be capped by the Wallabies.

On current form he would deserve a test call-up anyway, but the situation gives Cheika extra reason to hand him a Wallabies debut in The Rugby Championship."
AtomicBomb.gif

Curious about this one - Wondering if Cheiks trials him in the TRC, does that kybosh the Scottish deal altogether? Given he’s a work in progress, he’d theoretically have to have a few goes at it if he makes the squad. I seem to remember a few years back there was backlash when Samo was picked for the Wallabies (Eddie?) for one or two tests and then he fell by the wayside and the cynics said that he was picked to prevent him being snapped up by Fiji.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I see Naiyaravoro as a work in progress and don't think he's a serious prospect of being in the world cup squad. However, his form has been good enough to warrant selection in an extended Rugby Championship Squad and with all things considered (with a view to keeping him in Australia) I wouldn't besmirch Cheika if he selected him on the bench in a RC game.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He's a very effective lineout operator, I see no reason why he is 'too small' at all.

Combinations are the important issue, I think as you've mentioned many times. I remember the backrow from last EOYT of McMahon, Hooper and McCalman. It was inadequate as a combination.

The best test match combination imo would be Fardy, Pocock and Palu/Higgers depending on fitness and form.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's not the lineout where you need physical size, and the higher rate of momentum that yields.

I see no evidence that Fardy's extra 10-20cm in height leads to any real advantage in contact. Attitude and execution are far more important IMO, as Michael Hooper demonstrates time after time.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I see no evidence that Fardy's extra 10-20cm in height leads to any real advantage in contact. Attitude and execution are far more important IMO, as Michael Hooper demonstrates time after time.

To be fair, Hooper is probably a poor example of attitude and execution because his size and frame certainly aids in his success. I actually think Fardy is best example of that.

For example, a shorter guy has a much lower point of gravity, Taller guys will need much lower body height into contact whereas Hooper doesn't have to worry about it as much - there is room for error with Hooper but Fardy their is no room for error - if he goes into contact too high the consequence are certainly higher.

Hooper's natural speed, strength and as you mentioned great attitude and execution - makes Hooper a very dangerous weapon. If McMahon was shorter he'd probably he just as effective as Hooper as a 7, if he was taller he'd be better in the line-out - But he's just in the middle which is the worse to place to be IMO.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
If McMahon was shorter he'd probably he just as effective as Hooper as a 7, if he was taller he'd be better in the line-out - But he's just in the middle which is the worse to place to be IMO.

I never thought of it that way but it makes sense

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Yes , it's a different social structure in the front row ...would work in League as he reminds me of a young Robbie Farah but McMahon is a beast of a back rower in Rugby and brings plenty to the table . I think we may be looking at the RWC too inwardly ...maybe step back and consider what players our opposition would hate playing against ..Hooper , Pocock , McMahon , Skelton etc may be an interesting exercise . It won't necessarily work on a cohesion basis but may help as a part of the overall selection process.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hooper's natural speed, strength and as you mentioned great attitude and execution - makes Hooper a very dangerous weapon. If McMahon was shorter he'd probably he just as effective as Hooper as a 7, if he was taller he'd be better in the line-out - But he's just in the middle which is the worse to place to be IMO.

Agree with much of that, but the evidence suggests that both his running and lineout work are as good as any of the other 6s we have. I'd love him to be taller, sure, and I'm not arguing he should be ahead of Fardy. Just that I think he could be a long-term Wallaby at 6, and his size shouldn't affect him too much.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
On balance, strength and speed are way more important than height for flankers. If you've got tall timber in your 4, 5 and 8 you can easily get away with two not so tall flankers. The premise that the 6 has to bigger than the 7 is merely a stereotypical one. This is something all us budding Wallaby selectors are contemplating right now..

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
Few good match ups tonight
Jones Simmons
Stirzaker Genia
Naiavalu feauai sautia
Inman kerevi
Gill reid
Harris O'Connor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Gill showed again that he should take that last back row spot if we are not worried about height. He had such an influence on that game and is a proven performer at the highest level.
He carries the ball well now and imposes himself on the game in every aspect.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Higgers fell to pieces when it all started to get hard last night. Gill just lifts in the same circumstances. Not sure he is my first picked backrower but he is definitely in my 31.

Reactions: gel

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
My 7 is based on the encumberant rules and the fact that he is playing good rugby. That would apply to any of them - but seriously one player, and especially a forward can not win a match.

Would much be working out the balance of the side.
I prefer ball in hand rugby and scoring tries.
RWC are often playing field position for kicks at the sticks - some of the most crucial games have been turned on a drop goal or a penalty. (Bernie against the Boks) & ( Johnny against us). Even so I'd much rather score enough tries so we cant loose, and retain enough ball so we control the game.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
One player can win a match and it usually is a forward. Pocock vs South Africa 2011 RWC. Forwards make it possible for backs to score tries 9 times out of 10 and players like Pocock and Gill almost single handedly provide the grunt work in tight when the tight 5 for each of their teams isn't performing, as well as wreak havoc in the ruck.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
One player can win a match and it usually is a forward. Pocock vs South Africa 2011 RWC. Forwards make it possible for backs to score tries 9 times out of 10 and players like Pocock and Gill almost single handedly provide the grunt work in tight when the tight 5 for each of their teams isn't performing, as well as wreak havoc in the ruck.

That settles it we can have a pack of 7's because they can win games by them selves. Sweeeet problem solved ;).
Yes forwards (plural) usually do the work and allow the backs to earn the right to go wide. YOu can say a half back can win a game by himself (but only after the pigs get the go forward).

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
That settles it we can have a pack of 7's because they can win games by them selves. Sweeeet problem solved ;).
Yes forwards (plural) usually do the work and allow the backs to earn the right to go wide. YOu can say a half back can win a game by himself (but only after the pigs get the go forward).

I don't remember saying anything like that. Dave I wouldn't worry if I were you, I'm pretty sure Cheika will select Hooper anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.