• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I'm not a massive fan but I think Alexander will take the 5th jersey, he has the experience and has shown glimpses of been a very good scrummaging prop.. Could do worse then having Alexander on your bench..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not a massive fan but I think Alexander will take the 5th jersey, he has the experience and has shown glimpses of been a very good scrummaging prop.. Could do worse then having Alexander on your bench..

He'll be good for Uruguay and Fiji to rest Kepu in. Plus his open field play should help us rack up points

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One player can win a match and it usually is a forward. Pocock vs South Africa 2011 RWC. Forwards make it possible for backs to score tries 9 times out of 10 and players like Pocock and Gill almost single handedly provide the grunt work in tight when the tight 5 for each of their teams isn't performing, as well as wreak havoc in the ruck.

True, but I also believe the forwards deprive the backs of possibly just as many tries when they continually pick and drive within a couple of metres of the try line. More often than not, such play ends in a lost ball through a turnover or a knock on. Should be no need to drive from the base of the ruck more than a couple of times to unsettle the opposition defensive line.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think Skelton is becoming close to being first picked.
Madness isn't it. I watched him still running like a madman in the 70th minute and marvelled at how far he has come.

I consider him a definite selection at 4. But his limitation at the line out probably mean McCalman has to be 8 and a Fardy/Jones type 6. His selection hurts a guy like McMahon.

And to think, he's where he is due to Cheick's influence and support. I doubt he would be where he is today with any other coach.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I for one am absolutely chuffed with Big Will's development over the last 12 months. I think we've mostly been in agreement about the kind of footballer he could be, we were just wanting him to take that next step. Gone are the days when he would be walking between phases after 20 minutes and he's now an 80 minute player. I couldn't be more pleased as a Wallabies fan that we appear to have one position practically locked down (pardon the pun) in area that has presented us with a real issue.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Madness isn't it. I watched him still running like a madman in the 70th minute and marvelled at how far he has come.

I consider him a definite selection at 4. But his limitation at the line out probably mean McCalman has to be 8 and a Fardy/Jones type 6. His selection hurts a guy like McMahon.

And to think, he's where he is due to Cheick's influence and support. I doubt he would be where he is today with any other coach.
I think Fardy at 6 allows for a Skelton at 4.. Scrum is strong, lineout still ok, but does leave Poey or Hooper or McMahan at 6 at very long odds..

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There is still too much emphasis on who's going to wear 1-15. In a gruelling tournament that RWC is, the blokes in jerseys 16-23 are equally as important. And the selections will be made accordingly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gill certainly won't be the first backrower picked, but he won't be the last either...........

However, he still probably won't make the RWC if Hooper and Pocock are fit as we don't need more than two opensides in the squad..........

He'll be in the standby squad, and I think he should be given a run against the USA to give Hooper and Pocock a rest pre-RWC.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Easy to look awesome in a team finishing last.. Poey once again was massive in a good team playing well.. Gill good in a rubbish team playing at home..

Is it? I could also make a good argument that it is easy to look good when everyone around you is playing better. I don't question this just because it's Gill. Just seems like one of those things that sounds good but doesn't really mean much.

Status
Not open for further replies.