• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I would like to say.. I was drunk in my post about Gill.. But Stand by that most things he does Poey does better.. Last night his running game was massive...

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I would certainly argue that it's harder to look good in a team playing poorly than in one that is playing well..all that said the Reds played pretty well on Friday and Gill looked good.

T

TOCC

I'm calling it, Gill should be one of the two open side flankers to take to the World Cup, I think all 3 will get their opportunity in the TRC and the final decision made following those performances.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
This is my Ideal 15 with the bench being still in contention.
1. Kepu 2. Moore 3.Slipper
4. Skelton 5. Timani
6.Gill 7. Hooper
8.Pocock
9. Phibbs
10. Cooper
11. JOC (James O'Connor) 12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

This team would have big ball carries in Skelton, Timani, Pocock and Kurindrani.
They would also have 3 jumping options in Gill, Pocock and Skelton at the front
A slick backline with 2 of the back 3 being decent kickers with ball in hand.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'll have a dig.....

1- Slipper
2- Moore
3- Kepu
4- Skelton
5- Simmons
6- Fardy
7- Pocock (C)
8 McCalman
9- Phipps
10- Cooper/Foley
11- Horne/Cummins/Tomane/Ashley-Cooper (who bloody knows)
12- To'omua
13- Kuridrani
14- Speight/Ashley-Cooper
15- Folau

Bench: Polota-Nau, loosehead (?), Holmes, Palu, Hooper, Stirzaker, Foley/Cooper, one of the non-starting wingers.

As noted, I don't think we have any wingers you'd say are 100%.

I think Gill has played better than Hooper, but I know he won't get selected regardless of how well he has played this year.

Cooper would be my first pick, but his injury run makes if hard to judge.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gill has been great for the Reds, but hasn't been in better form than Pocock or Hooper this year..........

He should be a part of the wider squad though for the RC, and I think he should play against the USA with some other fringe Wallabies.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
KOB1987 said:
I would certainly argue that it's harder to look good in a team playing poorly than in one that is playing well..all that said the Reds played pretty well on Friday and Gill looked good.
Really.. Poey looks amazing in shit games...And even better in good games...

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Adam Coleman
5. Rory Arnold
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nick Phipps
10. Quade Cooper
11. James O'Connor
12. Matt To'omua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Henry Speight
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau 17. Scott Sio 18. Greg Holmes 19. Will Skelton
20. Michael Hooper 21. Will Genia 22. Kurtley Beale 23. Rob Horne

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Really.. Poey looks amazing in shit games.And even better in good games.

I'm not quite sure how that differs from what I said.. (Regardless of who we are talking about)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Is it? I could also make a good argument that it is easy to look good when everyone around you is playing better. I don't question this just because it's Gill. Just seems like one of those things that sounds good but doesn't really mean much.

Pretty much all truisms have their faults, like the one where a half back can't look good behind a beaten pack. Nic White MOTM against the LIons when the Brumbies' scrum was being demolished.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Easy to look awesome in a team finishing last.. Poey once again was massive in a good team playing well.. Gill good in a rubbish team playing at home..
Well NO no it's not easy to look good in a forward pack that's going crap. Its fucking hard. But what's that got to do with this weeks game where the Reds pack destroyed the Rebels and Gill was a standout?
The battle for the Wallabies 7 jersey isn't a two way battle and shouldn't be billed as such.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
In test matches Fardy doesnt dominate collisions either in attack or defence, whereas Higs and palu offer that, higs out wide and palu in close, and his slightly better breakdown work is now not required due to pocock. He also gives away more penalties then higs now!

1. slipper 2. moore 3. kepu
4. simmons 5. skelton
6. higs 8.Palu 7. Pocock
9. Genia 10.Quade 12. To'omua 13, Kuridrani
11/14 Speight & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 15. Folau

16. TPN 17.Sio 18. Alo-Emile 19. Timani/Fardy 20. Hooper 21. Phipps 22. Gits 23. JOC (James O'Connor)

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
My crazy thought for today is what if Scott Fardy had played 2nd row for the last two years at the Brums.

Would we be considering a back five of

4 - Simmons
5 - Skelton
6 - Higgers
7 - Pocock or Hooper
8 - Big Dog

19 - Fardy
20 - Palu or Hooper or Pocock

?

For mine the answer is I don't know.

Would Fardy's line out calling skills (plus the advantage of having higgers to jump at 2) offset not starting Simmons?

Would his on ball presence complement Pocock or Hooper best from the start?

If Fardy starts at 6, from a balance perspective it makes more sense to start Hooper at 7 but if you want to start Pocock without benching Fardy you have to find that ball running ability slmewhere, and right now none of the 2nd rowers worthy of our best 23 really bring that so is converting Fardy and including Higgers the worst option?

Point is, the last couple of couple of weeks have caused me to think that perhaps Fardy isn't as safe a selection in the first 15 as I thought early this year (for reasons of balance primarily). Perhaps some time in the 2nd row over the last 12 months would have improved his chances rather than hindered them.

Status
Not open for further replies.