• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
JOC (James O'Connor) is a proven performer for the Wallabies in pressure games. He has a wealth of test experience and that is why he is in this initial 45-50 man squad.

At this stage it certainly seems unlikely but if he progresses to later squads and eventually gets to the RWC it will presumably be due to performing well at training and then on the park.

I can't believe people are surprised that he has been included. I imagine every seasoned Wallaby will make it to this first squad. Several wouldn't be there on form alone but they'll get their chance to contribute to the squad going forward and compete to remain in the squad.

Bhahaha JOC (James O'Connor) proven performer? On what planet?

Please share his most recent dominant performance? Against decent opposition too?

Whose a proven performer? GSmith - gone overseas 2+ yrs, returns and dominates in soup rugby then is restored into the wob 7 - thats a proven performer. JKaino - same again, didnt miss a beat

Throw around such acclaim too loosely and it loses it punch - or just proclaim Horwill as a hall of famer now...

The last of the spoiled rascals, stuck in the age of entitlement...

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Ah great timing then, plays well every 4years :)

He's definitely due a good game.

Too bad the bloke had a poor Lions series, I really do hope, he turns the corner - he was sumthing special early in his career and since those very few occasions you've named, he's been surpassed easily by the work ethic of Horne & Honey badger.

Recently I think he's more a moments player, has patches of good work then goes missing. Prolly a victim of being utility - centres, fly, wing

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think the Lions series can have an asterisk because he was playing 10 and he's not being selected as a 10. Nick Cummins is a quite a poor example of a player who should be selected over him. He's played worse than James - in fact I'd put Cummins up there with the worst defenders in Super Rugby.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He really seemed to lack confidence in those last few games for the Reds. He was indecisive and made a lot of errors. If Cheika can turn that around then all power to him.
The Reds are now a very pale imitation of their former selves. It will be interesting to see what Cheika and Larkham can pull out of their test players

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Fair enough, but he still had poor series as a player. And when you put the two together (JOC (James O'Connor) & Badg), there is a greater expectation on JOC (James O'Connor) purely because of skillset.

Badger is really a one trick pony - funny and hardworking but only one feather to his cap. I look forward to his commentary career once he retires

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Obviously Hooper won't be great in the backs but he'd still be better then any other forward if things go pear shaped.

Actually, Higgers also has the speed of a centre. never forget a game he played for the Reds at Ballymore against the Shorks, where he ran from his defence 22 metre line the length of the field, out pacing the Shark centres

T

Train Without a Station

Actually, Higgers also has the speed of a centre. never forget a game he played for the Reds at Ballymore against the Shorks, where he ran from his defence 22 metre line the length of the field, out pacing the Shark centres

It was the Bulls and Suncorp. But yeah. Absolute gas.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Dont have a problem with JOC (James O'Connor) in the squad - shitty year but has shown he has the goods at this level.

Hunt was a fabulous league but largely unproven rugby player. Dont give a shit he played well at Churchie a thousand years ago. His selection in the wifer squad is just laughable to me. Reckon even Karmichael would be embarrassed

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
At this stage of his career and how he has started to play in the back end of this season Hunt appears to be almost the best pick for opposed training sessions actually.

If we are accepting of picking front rowers to provide starch in scrum training, then it stands to reason to have similar guys running around in the train on squad for backline training as well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
At this stage of his career and how he has started to play in the back end of this season Hunt appears to be almost the best pick for opposed training sessions actually.

If we are accepting of picking front rowers to provide starch in scrum training, then it stands to reason to have similar guys running around in the train on squad for backline training as well.

point taken gel - agree

Reactions: gel

Joeleee

Ted Fahey (11)
I know there's a lot of extra emotion around it because it's a representative squad, but I see Hunt's selection as similar to Naiyarovoro's in the Tahs. He's someone with the necessary skill set to do what Cheika wants, that he probably thinks he can mold into a valuable member of the team. If you're picking on potential, then I think Hunt has a bucket load of it (even though he hasn't shown a heap this season).

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
Seeing Naiyarovoro in the squad wouldn't be too bad. He could definitely "do a job" in the Chieka plan... Nothing wrong with Chieka wearing two hats to keep him in Australia and the Tahs next year... right?

T

Train Without a Station

Neither Naiyarovoro or Hunt should be in the 31. Due to the large nature of the squad I could see Hunt being more so recon for 2016 than anything to do with this year, where as Naiyarovoro won't be here.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Seeing Naiyarovoro in the squad wouldn't be too bad. He could definitely "do a job" in the Chieka plan. Nothing wrong with Chieka wearing two hats to keep him in Australia and the Tahs next year. right?

I would think his only chance would be if Speight was injured, I expect Speight to be the first choice to play the blind side crash ball monster role

topgun

Billy Sheehan (19)
I expect Speight to be the first choice to play the blind side crash ball monster role

No-one plays the Crash-monster quite like Naiyarovoro. Nadolo has too much class, Skelton is too slow, Mr T just cleaves a path and leaves debris in his wake. I'm pretty positive he's playing for Fiji though, is that not certain?

On a different note I can understand selections of Horwill, Genia and JOC (James O'Connor), and while I'm not mad about them, Cheika has the right of it, You pick an old dog for a hard road.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree on Horwill, he hasn't been as bad as I first thought. I now think he would be a better option on the bench in front of Jones/Dennis. Mainly for his set-piece work, especially the scrum.

If we had Sio, Holmes, TPN, and Horwill coming onto the game in the last 20minutes - that will probably strengthen our scrum rather then weaken it, as opposed to say Alexander, Robinson, Dennis.

Assuming Horwill will replace Skelton, then our line-out will be strengthened also.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Badger is really a one trick pony - funny and hardworking but only one feather to his cap. I look forward to his commentary career once he retires

OH my god, spare us yet another commentator with the mistaken idea that his commentary IS the entertainment!

They have got it all arse-backwards, their job is to be 'interested', NOT 'be interesting'.

Sadly we've already got the likes of Maloney et al commentating, do we need yet another bozo behind the mic?

Sure, when being interviewed be as interesting/entertaining as you like, you ARE the focus of interest in that situation.

They make the mistake and think people are interested in them continuing that whilst commentating on the game. Got news for you, we ain't.

Bring back the Ritchie Benaud style of commentary. The less the better.

FAR better.

Status
Not open for further replies.