• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
From what I've noticed of Horwill, these days he's only effective over short spurts. He's a good bench option because you can definitely get 25-30 quality minutes out of him, before he starts getting fatigued and lazy.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
From what I've noticed of Horwill, these days he's only effective over short spurts. He's a good bench option because you can definitely get 25-30 quality minutes out of him, before he starts getting fatigued and lazy.

I noticed this too. Certainly not an 80 minute player any more. Seems to start games well but dies off at the end.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fair enough, but he still had poor series as a player. And when you put the two together (JOC (James O'Connor) & Badg), there is a greater expectation on JOC (James O'Connor) purely because of skillset.

Badger is really a one trick pony - funny and hardworking but only one feather to his cap. I look forward to his commentary career once he retires

I think you are being too hard on the Badger, last year he was bloody good, but the playing 12 months of the year (and playing to a Foley game plan) has smashed him

But .................... give him a couple of weeks off, get him outside a set of backs prepared to find him some space and he is a damn fine finisher, with a great work rate.

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
No-one plays the Crash-monster quite like Naiyarovoro. Nadolo has too much class, Skelton is too slow, Mr T just cleaves a path and leaves debris in his wake. I'm pretty positive he's playing for Fiji though, is that not certain?

He's signed for one of the Scottish clubs next year, Glasgow or Edinburgh, he backflipped so not sure sure which one he ended up at. Anyway, I was under the impression he wanted to try and get into the Scottish National team after he'd done his time up there and was eligible?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Edinburgh offered him a 3 year deal, but he had to remain internationally unattached, so he would be eligible at the end of his contract.

Glasgow offered slightly less cash (fractionally so), but matched the length and said he can decide his own international future. He'll be at Glasgow come hell or high water.

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
If we had Sio, Holmes, TPN, and Horwill coming onto the game in the last 20minutes - that will probably strengthen our scrum rather then weaken it, as opposed to say Alexander, Robinson, Dennis.

Assuming Horwill will replace Skelton, then our line-out will be strengthened also.

Good call - I'm backing Chieka to get the best out of Horwill one last time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If we had Sio, Holmes, TPN, and Horwill coming onto the game in the last 20minutes - that will probably strengthen our scrum rather then weaken it, as opposed to say Alexander, Robinson, Dennis.

Or Slipper, Kepu, TPN and Horwill.

I'm not unconvinced that Sio, Moore, Holmes is our best front row option in those two key pool games.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
and before anyone jumps on me, I've got no idea if that is the correct terminology.

Would our best scrummaging front row be Sio, a fit TPN, Holmes?

No It wouldn't be the best Wallabies front row. TPN wasn't exactly great on the weekend. The Tahs lineout had issues as well as the scrum. I agree with Reg against England especially we need a rock solid set piece and Holmes, Squeak and I think Slipper could be those 3. You don't need a good runner who breaks tackles in those games just a good set piece prop.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
No It wouldn't be the best Wallabies front row. TPN wasn't exactly great on the weekend. The Tahs lineout had issues as well as the scrum. I agree with Reg against England especially we need a rock solid set piece and Holmes, Squeak and I think Slipper could be those 3. You don't need a good runner who breaks tackles in those games just a good set piece prop.

Fair enough on TPN. Moore will undoubtedly get the nod anyway and rightly so.

Although I think Sio is a good set-piece prop. The Brumbies scrum is significantly weaker when he isn't playing.

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Fair enough on TPN. Moore will undoubtedly get the nod anyway and rightly so.

Although I think Sio is a good set-piece prop. The Brumbies scrum is significantly weaker when he isn't playing.

I certainly wouldn't complain if Sio, Moore and Holmes were the front row that would be rock solid as well. I just can't see TPN being any good for the Wallabies this year I think he would be more of a liability than anything due to his head knocks plus he hasn't got any great form to warrant selection if anything you would take Latu first.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we're highly likely to see TPN involved in the Rugby Championship tests if he is fit.

I thought his return against the Reds was pretty good given the time he has had off.

TPN's scrummaging ability is well known and it's hard to see Cheika not thinking that will be part of his best team this year. Obviously TPN has to uphold his end of the bargain by recapturing that form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm most worried about Taf's melon. When healthy I think he's an absolute certainty, but I'm concerned that his head isn't 100% right or he gets another knock. Forget about the Wallabies, I just want him to avoid to be a healthy bloke after retiring from the game.

Absolutely.

At least he's following what the experts are telling him.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sio has gone pretty well since return but so has Robinson. Would be a certainty that Slipper Moore and Keps are the starters.

Chek MIGHT go with the Old Dog instead of Sio at LHP and another one, being Holmes as reserve THP. Chuck TPN in there and all 6 guys have plenty of experience.
The Sio/Robinson nattle will get played out in the Super finals...... Have a sentimental spot for Robinson as he has been at the forefront of Aussie rugby for quite a while and still hasn't played in a World Cup - maybe Chek has some sentimentality in him too - we'll see:)

Status
Not open for further replies.