• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
There should be a matching thread re 'the optimum Wallaby coaching team to compete in the RWC'.

Seemingly, Cheika has still not found a complete forwards and/or set piece coach, nor an adequate kicking coach. Media rumours this last week had M Ledesma as about to be appointed Wallaby set piece coach; if so, what on earth does he know about Test-level line outs? And where is the forwards coach to work on the forwards' performance and technique in broken play, off the ball work, and within overall team attacking patterns?

These appointments - assuming they get made - for the good or the bad will be of far greater importance than a few nuances around team selections.

McKenzie made huge errors from mid-2013 in this this department in keeping on Blades, who'd achieved nothing whatsoever with the Wallaby forwards and set piece since early 2012, and picking the comfort choice in McKay who had shown zero attacking innovation and/or enhanced back line play in the Reds since 2011. Let alone the foolishness of appointing no Wallaby kicking and catching coach (of the type and calibre as the ABs retain, for very good reason).

Watch the calibre and completeness of the whole Wallaby coaching group - more than anything, that will point to the optimum or otherwise chances of Wallaby success in 2015.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Could Sam Carter be the bolter in front of them, I would have suspected he would have been in the squad if not for injury, Mumm does offer experience.

Possibly, there is a long way to go, there will be injuries and this is a massive training squad

Another thought is that both Horwill & Mumm may be there to offer an options in both leadership and experience

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If that is what Chieka wanted, George Smith would have been the perfect option to have in the squad.

he maybe, but he maybe a bit short for a locking role ;)

We will probably start with Simmons & Skelton, and old head, who is a decent lineout unit, maybe useful option off the bench or just squad cover for Simmons, if one of them aims up in training.

Because if Simmons goes down, the cupboard is quite bare

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
RH....

I assume Ledesma would know something about lineouts considering he was one of the top test rugby hookers during his time.

Granted that fact, but, especially in a RWC year, I'd far prefer to have someone coaching set-pieces that has a clear track record in coaching - versus playing - success in these crucial areas. They are different talents and skills and mindsets.

To me, and on my logic, Nic Stiles (for example) would be a better choice as the demonstrated quality of his work on set piece with the Reds was of a Super-leading standard. This was especially impressive as (a) Stiles had an arrogant buffoon as HC and (b) the Reds had vast morale and play-quality issues outside Stiles' domain.

(As a general comment, I still consider it incredibly regrettable that L Fisher went overseas. He would have been superb at Wallaby level, and in a RWC year.)

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
he maybe, but he maybe a bit short for a locking role ;)

We will probably start with Simmons & Skelton, and old head, who is a decent lineout unit, maybe useful option off the bench or just squad cover for Simmons, if one of them aims up in training.

Because if Simmons goes down, the cupboard is quite bare

This is a very interesting point. Because starting Skelton means 2 lineout jumpers are needed at 6 and 8. Which pretty much assures Fardy the 6 jumper and excludes Palu from 8 options. It also means we have to choose between Hooper and Pocock, with the loser almost impossible to fit into the 23 (unless we play a 6-2 bench, which is predicated on Giteau covering 9,10,12 - an unlikely scenario at this stage).

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The most noticeable weakness I can see in the squad is Beale, Naiyaravoro and Kerevi as they are all huge defensive liabilities.

Surely could not afford to start with any of them or have more then one on the field at the same time.

Which means they are purely picked as impact players in the last 20mins or as development players.

JOC (James O'Connor) would have been more logical. He doesn't have the same weakness just needs to find form.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
I can't fathom Jones not being selected.... is he injured? Did he pick something up this week at training?

Taqele will get exposed badly at test level. Given a couple of years he may produce the goods. I get he is big and kind of fast (not as quick as Nems or anywhere near as skilled). I'm also worried because he appears to have no interest in Australian rugby given that he is off to Scotland next year and has been open to representing Fiji rather than spending a year or two developing to make the Wallabies.

People have been bagging JOC (James O'Connor) all year. Definitely doesn't look like he has had the best year probably due to injury as we all know what he is capable of. One must think having no offseason to recover has hampered his year. But if you compare the stats between JOC (James O'Connor) and Taqele it's quite interesting. T has played 3 more games for about 110 more mins. T has more tries(8-0) and line breaks(19-10). They have pretty much the same run meters(T 12m more) and offloads. JOC (James O'Connor) has beaten more defenders, carried more (62 passes to T's 15), more try assists (5 to T's 0) and a higher number of tackles along with less missed tackles. Interesting numbers. You could safely say his numbers would be significantly better had he been on the wing for the Tahs.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a genuine world class player when physically and mentally right. Shame he won't get the chance under Chieka.

Another selection I would have liked to see would have been Smith included in the squad. If for nothing else his experience leading into a world cup. IMO offers more than McMahon.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The most noticeable weakness I can see in the squad is Beale, Naiyaravoro and Kerevi as they are all huge defensive liabilities.

Surely could not afford to start with any of them or have more then one on the field at the same time.

Which means they are purely picked as impact players in the last 20mins or as development players.

JOC (James O'Connor) would have been more logical. He doesn't have the same weakness just needs to find form.

Naiyaravoro can be burnt on the outside or kicked behind as he has the turning circle of a container ship, but his front on tackling is very solid.

Honestly I can't see Naiyaravoro or Kerevi in the smaller squad.

Beale? dunno who is the 15 cover for Folau if not Beale?

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
..... I'm surprised some are shocked/surprised that Gill didn't get in. He had a good year, but was never going to be ahead of Pocock or Hooper.

I think only because he doesn't have the runs on the board at Test level. Purely on talent, I don't think there's much difference between the 3 of them and certainly not the gulf that some people would suggest exists.

I don't think anyone is shocked or surprised either. There's only been one post mentioning him before yours I think, and that poster was simply saying that he was gutted for Gill. He's a genuinely good bloke and an outstanding Rugby player that will likely never reach the heights that he could without Poey and Hooper in front of him. Hard not to feel for the guy.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)

I think most likely, Naiyaravoro and Kerevi will be development players. Get them in the system and exposed to the inner workings of the machine. I'm fine with that. Beale is a different kettle of fish and I'm not on board with that selection.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Actually I just read something that suggests Smith will be picked later on, he's still having time off.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-...or-the-wallabies-at-wor/6590960?section=sport

None of the Aus journos seem to making a big deal out of Jones' omission interestingly. The big omissions are all listed as O'Connor, Robinson, Alexander and Cummins. Is there something we don't know?

Maybe he didn't impress on last years end of season tour, he only got a small chance and didn't grab it..

I personally would have had him in front of Mumm and Arnold.. Let's face it Dennis has gone alright for the Tah's at Lock..

Status
Not open for further replies.