• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think most people here had him in the RWC squad, no doubt his EOYT was poor but his Super form was very good. To not even rate worth mentioning as an omission by literally every journo is very strange. Especially when Benn Robinson and Nick Cummins are considered shock omissions by some..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Actually I just read something that suggests Smith will be picked later on, he's still having time off.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-...or-the-wallabies-at-wor/6590960?section=sport

None of the Aus journos seem to making a big deal out of Jones' omission interestingly. The big omissions are all listed as O'Connor, Robinson, Alexander and Cummins. Is there something we don't know?

And on Smith, I read Earlier that he wasn't expected for the start of the RC but he'd join the squad at some stage before the world cup..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think most people here had him in the RWC squad, no doubt his EOYT was poor but his Super form was very good. To not even rate worth mentioning as an omission by literally every journo is very strange. Especially when Benn Robinson and Nick Cummins are considered shock omissions by some..
True, I though he was a shoe in when Carter went down..

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Scoey, my post wasn't intended to be a slight on Gill as a player or a person. I think he's a very good talent. But as you say he is behind two excellent players who both happen to have served as Wallaby captains. I think his non inclusion was mentioned during the flurry of who's in and who's out.

Gill reminds me of Scotty Waldrom not only in play but the situation they find themselves. Waldrom was a hell of a player, excellent over the ball and extremely quick. He got one AB game against Munster, because he was behind two quality players in McCaw and Masoe.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I really don't understand the decision to omit Jones............

He hasn't had much test experience so I don't think that can be an excuse, particularly when you take into account the test failings of the other candidates..............

Statistically, he is the best performing Aussie lock in Super Rugby this year.............

He has a high workrate, good defender, carries well, is a solid lineout option.............

I'm baffled.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think a better comparison would be Matt Todd or Marty Holah. Even when McCaw retires Todd will probably lose out to Savea and Cane.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I really don't understand the decision to omit Jones....

He hasn't had much test experience so I don't think that can be an excuse, particularly when you take into account the test failings of the other candidates......

Statistically, he is the best performing Aussie lock in Super Rugby this year.....

He has a high workrate, good defender, carries well, is a solid lineout option.....

I'm baffled.
It's gotta cut deep, will he disappear oversea's, not in the squad is harsh.. he basically just got told his 7th best lock in oz tied with the injured Carter and equal with Coleman..It's not a true reflection

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I really don't understand the decision to omit Jones....

He hasn't had much test experience so I don't think that can be an excuse, particularly when you take into account the test failings of the other candidates......

Statistically, he is the best performing Aussie lock in Super Rugby this year.....

He has a high workrate, good defender, carries well, is a solid lineout option.....

I'm baffled.

I don't get it either. I'm gutted for him, because I think he's got more to offer than both Dennis and Mumm at either lock or blindside.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Quote "we have spesifically chosen 3 sets of tight fives and go hard on set piece and see who comes on top" -MC
Still doesnt settle why Jones is in there.

Does anyone know who all are on the panel who make the choices or is it just Cheika who has everything to say?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yeah I was just about to comment on that statement from Cheika about the set piece. I hope he's serious (and I imagine he would be), because that is the biggest area of improvement required if we're to give the tournament a shake.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
actually I reckon it is his work around the field, there is a bees dick between the lot of our LHPs at scrum time, but Slipper, Sio & Smith get a lot more done around the field

I thought I saw the Fox stats have Alexander as the most penalised prop in Super Rugby IIRC. If that is true there is the story right there.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Along with Redshappy I remain very concerned about the total coaching situation in Australia. A key area of concern for me is kicking. For years, right back to the 2007 RWC I have been whinging about the loss of kicking from hand as a talent in Australian Rugby. Its almost as if the myth of "running rugby" has meant it is a sin to learn and practice the skill.

Back in the good old days, when they still had leather balls (of the game type and had to walk to school bare foot) Australian backs could kick that sucker from 22 to 22. Now we have players lucky to get the ball outside the 40m mark from the 22, with a nice water shedding synthetic ball. This in the country that created the bloody AFL. Even the F%%#$ All Blacks see the value in having an AFL kicking coach.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Along with Redshappy I remain very concerned about the total coaching situation in Australia. A key area of concern for me is kicking. For years, right back to the 2007 RWC I have been whinging about the loss of kicking from hand as a talent in Australian Rugby. Its almost as if the myth of "running rugby" has meant it is a sin to learn and practice the skill.

Back in the good old days, when they still had leather balls (of the game type and had to walk to school bare foot) Australian backs could kick that sucker from 22 to 22. Now we have players lucky to get the ball outside the 40m mark from the 22, with a nice water shedding synthetic ball. This in the country that created the bloody AFL. Even the F%%#$ All Blacks see the value in having an AFL kicking coach.

Time to give Chris Latham a recall I reckon!

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Moore or Poey for mine as Captain but i'm really concerned Cheiks will go with Hooper. Also i think there's a possibility of Beale at inside Centre which concerns me a lot more.

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
Hi guys, what do you think of my starting XV?

1. Slipper
2. Moore (C)
3. Kepu
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock (VC)
8. Higginbotham
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
12. Giteau
13. Kuridrani
14. Speight
15. Folau

Please note Jones would have been a straight swap for Simmons if in the squad, and O'Connor would have come in for speight.

Status
Not open for further replies.