• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Reading between the (many) lines it'd probably be safe to think that Chieka knows what some of those players bring, Dennis/Lilo/Hanson, and is keen to see what several others bring in their position, Taf/Gitea/Mumm/Arnold. From memory those 3 who have missed out did play a significant amount of rugby this year so perhaps it is a rest thing as well. You'd have to think that those 3 will get a shot against the Pumas.

The Taf reference is more in relation to game time.

T

TOCC

Swap Mumm with Jones and I'm relatively happy with that squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Kurtley Beale, Will Genia andJames Horwill are there on reputation not form. Hopefully Chieka can bring them up to form and quick.

There is nothing wrong with picking on reputation. Especially if you have the confidence as a coach to play a game plan that suits them and help them to re-find form.

Except even an in-form Beale is a huge liability in defence.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is nothing wrong with picking on reputation. Especially if you have the confidence as a coach to play a game plan that suits them and help them to re-find form.

Yes but more than this. How have they been going at training? "Form" will be, at least in part, what Cheika and Larkham have been seeing.

Truth is, the 40 strong squad hasn't been culled at all.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Except even an in-form Beale is a huge liability in defence.

Myopic - remind me who did Fekitoa run through to score the winning the try for last years Bledisloe Cup?

A game the wobs were winning... this merely points out the defensive frailties are shared equally throughout the wobs line.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Myopic - remind me who did Fekitoa run through to score the winning the try for last years Bledisloe Cup?

A game the wobs were winning. this merely points out the defensive frailties are shared equally throughout the wobs line.

Except some players are more equal than others.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Pic from the Wallabies Facebook page.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436508093.979458.jpg

Has anyone that's watched a Chieka training session seen him use these NFL (assumed) positions in conjunction with Rugby positions?
Hooper 7, Taqele RB, Higgers and Dennis Safeties etc.

T

Train Without a Station

A game the wobs were winning. this merely points out the defensive frailties are shared equally throughout the wobs line.

But to pinpoint it to one moment doesn't consider what leads to that moment.

If one player has to cover for another's misses multiple times he's fatigued when it comes to his own tackles.

How did the opposition get to the field position for that miss to occur.

To lay the blame solely at one play ignores the fact that unless the player ran 100m to score, it's probably down to errors by others too which lead to a try.

D

daz

A bit off topic but as I don't seem to be able to post in "Suggested Threads" here goes:
I will be in Amsterdam the night of the RWC final and would like to watch it with other rugby nuts. Can anyone suggest a rugby club in Amsterdam that I can contact?

Amsterdam
O'Reilly's
Paleisstraat 103 - 106
(020) 624 94 98
http://www.oreillys.com
Comments: 2 Big screens and a staunch rugby following. Big match specials from the kitchen. A big reputation for quality food.

Amsterdam
The Tara Irish Pub
Rokin 89
Comments: Has lots of TV and 2 large screens. Unfortunately they show football at the same time. Lots of rugger fans in there though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

It's not shared equally at all if everyone else in the back-line is tackling 70-80% and Beale is only tackling at 60%.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't understand this hand wringing for Beale, he is at best a bench option on the fringe of the squad

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
But to pinpoint it to one moment doesn't consider what leads to that moment.

If one player has to cover for another's misses multiple times he's fatigued when it comes to his own tackles.

How did the opposition get to the field position for that miss to occur.

To lay the blame solely at one play ignores the fact that unless the player ran 100m to score, it's probably down to errors by others too which lead to a try.

Absolutely.

Drawing upon a dimension of one player negating everything else contributes merely to this simplistic binary - either he tackles or he cant

KB (Kurtley Beale) rightly accepts criticisms particularly for poor play on the field.

So should others - Im merely pointing out on this occasion since defense is an issue - Foley was one on one, and he missed badly. It also happened during a particularly significant part of the game that allowed the darkness to level scores after the bell - Im not at all criticising his efforts etc but criticism of his defense is justified.

You get paid the big bucks and the duck yellow guernsey to have no excuses.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
It's not shared equally at all if everyone else in the back-line is tackling 70-80% and Beale is only tackling at 60%.

As Fatprop says, Beale's defence at fullback is much better than that. Not as good as Folau. Probably better than Dagg (although that probably includes all international fullbacks). He's pulled off a few very good try-savers at the back.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Ok so now beale's inclusion in the trimmed down squad is responsible for lealiifano's omission. Aside from having difficulty recalling lilo's performances at fullback, I'm also thinking that cooper, foley, To'omua and giteau all still being there might have something to do with it..

Assuming a 5:3 split, I'm thinking that Beale and Mitchell are fighting it out for the 23 jersey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.