• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
I think we've essentially found our best 23 after last night, with a few changes:

11. Still up for grabs. Mitchell wasn't great last night IMO but his boot was an asset. Speight has most upside but inexperienced. Tomane in the mix too.

One thing I've been noticing with Mitchell in the last game (and that highlights package from Toulon someone posted the other day) is that he is relishing the contact and even doing some serious bumping off of would-be tacklers.

Didn't have the space today, but that highlight vid also looked like he's regained most of his gas. Would like to see how a Mitchell/Speight pair of wings goes.

Edit: Just realised that 86's 2Dads. OK- no idea then. Depth is a great problem.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
1) Sio
2) Moore (C)
3) Kepu
4) Simmons
5) Horwill - got through a lot of tackles with a lot being dominant, seems to have lifted with cheika as coach, have him on for 60 then bring on Skelton
6) Fardy
7) Hooper
8) Pocock
9) Genia - combination with cooper and is a solid option without being outstanding, at the moment far less likely to have a off game like phibbs or white are
10) Cooper - lesser of two evils out of the flyhalfs, also more likely to spark our attack
11) Horne - purely there for his hard hits in attack and defence, would have been fuming that he missed out on the game last night where I think he would have really thrived
12) Giteau - brings a level head to the field and although hasn't sparked too much has done his job well and thrown some good passes.
13) Kuridrani
14) AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15) Folau
16) TPN
17) Slipper
18) Holmes
19) Skelton - big body bring him on with 20 to go and either use him in tight to suck multiple defenders in or use him out wide close to the line like the AB's do with Read sometimes
20) McCalman
21) White/phibbs - both seem to be better suited to the bench role, phibbs really ups the tempo when he comes on but I feel lacks the composure to start a test, meanwhile if White comes off the bench he tends to worry about playing footy more so than talking to the ref
22) To'omua - bit controversial given his outstanding play but the wallabies bench has been such a asset and the starting lineup hasn't been that bad that I think we should continue as is. Bring To'omua on with 30 to go either for gits or cooper and he completely changes the dynamic and playing style of the team which makes it so much harder to defend as a tiring defensive line.
23)Speight - Bring him on for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) with 20 to go and have him running off the inside backs and watch him shed tackles left right and centre

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If I go back and look at my posts towards the start of this thread I was worried then that if the Wallabies played the way they did on the EOYT and the way the Tahs did this year they wouldn't get out of the Pool stages at the RWC.

With selections and a slightly modified game plan we are seeing a much more complete skill set and playing ability.

Selections such as that postulated by @Southsider above suit the play of the Tahs and Wallabies under Chieka last year. In particularthe back three and backs reserves. The Wallabies last night were able to play with three fullbacks because they had three players who have played test match rugby and senior rugby in that position. It nullified the ABs kicking game a lot and we didn't see at lot of kicking from them and what was seen was well contested. Also the Wallabies had effective kicking options in the back three with even Folau letting rip with a good punt. Though I must say Mitchell's skewed effort in the second half led directly to Milner-Skudder's second try.

As for the rave that To'omua has gotten as being the second coming at 10, I think it very overdone and his form proves my other point from last year about hating the two playmaker system and a team having better balance with a true 12. To me To'omua is a very good 12, and so is Giteau, but when he actually plays as a 12, not a second 10.

All in all I have to say that the Pooper worked far better than the Smith/Waugh experiment of the early 2000s, probably because they complement each other's skill sets.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
All in all I have to say that the Pooper worked far better than the Smith/Waugh experiment of the early 2000s, probably because they complement each other's skill sets.

Although I would also just like to add that Hooper and Poey are much better players then Phil Waugh ever was..

But your right Pooper is better because of they complement each other so well, Hooper Runs all day attack and defense and is a dominant energizer bunny. Poey attacks the breakdown like no other in the world his strong as an Ox and actually has improved his ball running and is quite a big guy although short.

You have 2 Stud's you have to play them..

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was against it but have to say that we're a better side when they're on the paddock at the same time. We look a lot stronger in the collisions and more dynamic in the loose.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I still wouldn't have Giteau in my squad. Got the crap knocked out of him in one tackle by a bigger AB and lost the ball, this is going to happen to him in every game in the RWC, opponents are going to line up their biggest back to run at him every play. Scrummie passing was accurate, but painfully slow. Did I read somewhere Matt's scrummie cameo buggered up his legs? AND he crabbed sideways a few times.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Cheika said he cramped up a bit late so took him off as a precaution. How much that had to do with playing halfback for a bit I don't know. Suspect he's still not quite back to 80 mins in a Bledisloe fitness.

He was certainly a marked improvement on Phipps at half, although that had a lot more to do with Phipps' worst game in memory than anything else. White took them up another level again.

I still like To'omua at 12 and Giteau terrorising tired players late off the bench, although granted To'omua took huge strides towards the 10 jersey last night, which no-one else is claiming so the 10-12 combo this week will be interesting. I suspect it is the last chance to give Lilo a crack - if he's not there this week, he won't be on the plane.

Ditto for Carter and Douglas, and maybe even Speight.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
my 31 man squad

Prop: Slipper, Holmes, Kepu, Sio, Smith
Hooker: Moore, Polota-Nau, Hanson
lock: Simmons, Horwill, Skelton, Mumm
Flanker: Fardy, McMahon, Pocock, Hooper
No.8: McCalman, Palu
Scrumhalf: Phipps, White, Genia
Flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
Centre: To'omua, Giteau, Kuridrani
Wing: Tomane, Horne, Ashley-Cooper
Fullback: Beale, Folau

i wouldnt mind trying an experimental Backline against the USA.

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. O'Connor
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Beale

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Giteau's defensive effort was huge - his game against the AB's put to rest the whole silly notions that he is a defensive liability because of his size

Mitchell to my mind showed there is more to come -not a lot of run meters but replay showed beat 4 defenders on one run....plus nice left foot boot for clearance kicks....

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I suspect it is the last chance to give Lilo a crack - if he's not there this week, he won't be on the plane.

Lealiifano has been named for the "World XV" against Japan next weekend (along with the likes of JOC (James O'Connor), Cummins, Naiyaravoro, Liam Gill and a few other Aussies).

dru

Tim Horan (67)
my 31 man squad

Prop: Slipper, Holmes, Kepu, Sio, Smith
Hooker: Moore, Polota-Nau, Hanson
lock: Simmons, Horwill, Skelton, Mumm
Flanker: Fardy, McMahon, Pocock, Hooper
No.8: McCalman, Palu
Scrumhalf: Phipps, White, Genia
Flyhalf: Cooper, Foley
Centre: To'omua, Giteau, Kuridrani
Wing: Tomane, Horne, Ashley-Cooper
Fullback: Beale, Folau

i wouldnt mind trying an experimental Backline against the USA.

9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. O'Connor
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani
14. Folau
15. Beale

SNAP!

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Lealiifano has been named for the "World XV" against Japan next weekend (along with the likes of JOC (James O'Connor), Cummins, Naiyaravoro, Liam Gill and a few other Aussies).

Oh really? I didn't know that. Will be hard to pick him in the world cup squad without a game in the TRC.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a shame Lilo won't get a run against the All Blacks, because if you take into account test form of all of our 10/12 options - Foley is the who shouldn't make the cut.........

I think Cheika will need to take all of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Tomane, Speight and Mitchell..........

There's no other outside centre cover in the squad outside of of those guys and the likes of Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau will need to be rested in one or two matches.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's a shame Lilo won't get a run against the All Blacks, because if you take into account test form of all of our 10/12 options - Foley is the who shouldn't make the cut...

I think Cheika will need to take all of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Tomane, Speight and Mitchell....

There's no other outside centre cover in the squad outside of of those guys and the likes of Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau will need to be rested in one or two matches.
All fair points. It's a good thing if we have good players who don't make the cut as it speaks to better depth. Leali'ifano has no lack of talent, but has been unfortunate to not nail a place when the chance has been there, and been cruelled by injuries at critical times too. Foley's form is a worry indeed. If Lilo carves it up for the World XV this weekend he might still be in the mix. I think Horne must be in the 31 - his versatility (can play 12 or 13 if needed) and reliability the past 2 years are key. Not to mention his defence, which might be a massive key at the RWC.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wasn't sold on Horne for the longest time, but his ability to play in the midfield and his work on the wing for the Tahs gets him on the plane for mine.

Reactions: gel

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Squad seems to be getting closer and closer:

Props: Sio, Slipper, Kepu, Holmes, Smith
Hooker: Moore, TPN, Hanson
Lock: Simmons, Horwill, Skelton, Mumm
Backrow: Fardy, Pocock, Hooper, McCalman, McMahon, Palu
Halfback: Phipps, White
Fly half: Foley, Cooper
I/C: To'omua, Giteau
O/C: Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Wing: Horne, two of Mitchell/Speight/Tomane
Fullback: Folau, Beale

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
McMahon will be important giving Hooper and/or Pocock a rest against Fiji I think. Don't want any Fijians lining them up in the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.