• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I wonder if starting to use Hodgson off the bench is a bit of an experiment towards combining Pocock and Hooper next year?

It must be crossing Link's mind about having them both available and hoping that Pocock is back in form. Given how short the lead in to the RWC is (and how tough the opposition is in those games), there's not much time for experimentation. Perhaps some of the experimenting is happening now with Hodgson subbing in for Pocock.

You could be right there. Hodgo has actually been pretty good off the bench in the last couple of weeks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You could be right there. Hodgo has actually been pretty good off the bench in the last couple of weeks.

He has been good off the bench. The dual openside seems to pay more dividends late in the match. The fresh fetcher can really cause problems against tired opposition.

Sam Cane has done it very well this season too. That included the turnover against us in the first Bledisloe that cost us a chance to win the game.

T

Train Without a Station

Pocock is actually a decent ball carrier. The Wallabies use to use him often in the Deans era to crash it up off first phase ball. He had very safe hands and strong leg drive. Very rarely would he make a break or hit a gap but to say he is not a ball carrier is not quite true. Certainly enough there to play at 6.

Sounds like Stephen Moore. We wouldn't play him at 6 to accomodate TPN though.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Pocock is actually a decent ball carrier. The Wallabies use to use him often in the Deans era to crash it up off first phase ball. He had very safe hands and strong leg drive. Very rarely would he make a break or hit a gap but to say he is not a ball carrier is not quite true. Certainly enough there to play at 6.

Pococks ball running was always under-rated. I always use to think of him as an extra prop, he would almost always get over the gain line and always secure his own ball. Nothing flash but strong.

Pocock and Hooper would combine well I have no doubt. One is probably the best defensive backrower in the world and the other one of the most attacking. Their is really only one glaring weakness and that is the line-out IMO. And we all know how important set-piece is at Test level.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
When I look at the AB and Bok backrows, I don't think "well we could improve ours by playing two 7s and no 6"

Shoehorning players into positions they don't play is generally a bad idea. Link isn't immune to this, but even he isn't going to play Pocock at 6. If Pocock is actually fit, either him or Hooper will be on the bench.

T

Train Without a Station

Pococks ball running was always under-rated. I always use to think of him as an extra prop, he would almost always get over the gain line and always secure his own ball. Nothing flash but strong.

With all due respect, Pocock offers nothing with ball in hand that requires, speed, skill, or any inherent ability. He is a decent tight runner, but he isn't a tackle breaker.

How many teams say "oh geez we could use another tight forward to truck the ball up consistently without ever breaking the line".

Not to try and knock the guy, but he what he offers can easily be replaced, and is generally covered well by all our front row options.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Such as? Kicking out of hand would be one, but in your view what would be the others?

His kicking is the primary one - it's weak. Nowhere near where you need to be to play 15 at test level. There's wilful blindness to this as Australians generally consider kicking to be evil and think we should be running the ball from our own in-goal area all night. "Ball in hand" or "running rugby" syndrome.

I mean, Le Roux and Dagg, they are playing a different game when it comes to kicking from hand.

His passing is also pretty ordinary and therefore his participation in the midfield is pretty useless.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Except he's one of the best offloaders in world rugby.

This is true. He will have opportunities to exploit this on the wing.

His passing through the hands though, or as part of a move, is pretty shit. I mean, it isn't anywhere the skills Beale has in that department.

T

Train Without a Station

And Beale's ability under the high ball isn't anywhere near that of Folau.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Lorenzo, Not sure that Le Roux is a good role model for all the attributes needed of a World Class 15.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I never said I wanted Le Roux.

Is it seriously too much to ask that the fullback, as a starting point, can kick the ball a long way often and accurately?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Every player has faults. Folau is still one of the best players in the side and easily the best fullback in the country.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Every player has faults. Folau is still one of the best players in the side and easily the best fullback in the country.

If he was easily the best 15 in the country, at least 2 of Horan, Sharpe and Kafer would have him there, if not all 3. That two of them don't should tell you that there's genuine dispute as to whether he is the best man for that job.

T

Train Without a Station

I note that you didn't dispute that folau's kicking and passing were shit, which should tell you something about his fullback credentials, even if he can catch.

I'd say a fullback will be subjected to more high balls than opportunities to kick.

In addition, the style of rugby we are playing we will kick less. If we had a Chris Latham it may be worth discussing but whilst marginally improving kicking, Beale brings in a fucking shitload of problems by being at 15.

Folau can kick. He's not a great kicker, he's not a terrible kicker. Larkham wasn't considered a great kicker of the ball and he became one of our greatest every fly halves.

T

Train Without a Station

If he was easily the best 15 in the country, at least 2 of Horan, Sharpe and Kafer would have him there, if not all 3. That two of them don't should tell you that there's genuine dispute as to whether he is the best man for that job.

And who have the provided instead? Beale? Yeah fucking right. It aint 2010 fluffybunnys.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Clearly they're both trying to slot Beale into the starting XV.

Note that the one that didn't include Beale in the starting XV had Folau at fullback.

I think if you asked them who they thought the best fullback was they'd all say Folau.

Status
Not open for further replies.