• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I'm not actually an advocate for Beale at 15. I'd prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

I feel a bit sorry for Beale as he's been fucked around a bit in terms of positioning. He was a fly half then a fullback then a fly half then a 12 then he's a fly half against the all blacks and is the fall guy when things don't work.

The best thing to happen to foley is that he dodged the stench associated with being the 10 during the Bledisloe cup tests. It could just as easily have been him resigned to the bench if he has started those games.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not actually an advocate for Beale at 15. I'd prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

I feel a bit sorry for Beale as he's been fucked around a bit in terms of positioning............

But you're happy to continue fucking AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) around more than a bit in terms of positioning in order to accommodate KB (Kurtley Beale)?

Call me a dumb-ass kiwi, you'd be far from the first, but why would you wanna simultaneously take away Folau's greatest positives (ability to take the high ball, beat the first defender at least, take the ball into contact without coughing it up) & expose Beale's greatest negatives (poor under the high ball, often gets held up in contact & coughs it up)?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not even sure why we're discussing starting with Beale anywhere?

He's not the best player in any position on the field, yet he provides great impact off the bench, ergo.................

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
But you're happy to continue fucking AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) around more than a bit in terms of positioning in order to accommodate KB (Kurtley Beale)? Id have Folau on the wing and Beale on the bench.

Call me a dumb-ass kiwi, you'd be far from the first, but why would you wanna simultaneously take away Folau's greatest positives (ability to take the high ball, beat the first defender at least, take the ball into contact without coughing it up) & expose Beale's greatest negatives (poor under the high ball, often gets held up in contact & coughs it up)?

I don't understand your post - I'd prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback to both Beale and Folau.

As a separate issue, I feel sorry for Beale due to him being shifted around and thrown to the wolves at Eden PArk. That and me wanting to put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 are not mutually exclusive and I don't know why you think they are.

RWCs (at the pointy end) are generally low scoring defensive affairs. I value a fullback strong on defense (kicking, defensive positioning and tackling) and I genuinely think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the most qualified person for that job. His high-ball skills are not exactly shabby, either.

I am not suggesting Folau be removed from the field, he will still have as many opportunities to break tackles as they want to give him.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I don't think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback is a crazy idea by any stretch (he's done it before after all), but I just wonder if that's his best position. Does he provide maximum value there or somewhere else? Or is he best when being a utility man? I'm a bit torn to be honest. I think up until TK came on the scene that he was so far and away our best outside centre that there wasn't even any debate. Now after Tevita playing well in the last two tests you can make a strong case for him starting and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on the wing.

Folau has to be fullback in my view. He's imperious at the back, breaks tackles and puts doubt in the minds of oncoming defences. I think he's wasted on the wing. His kicking isn't fantastic, but that can be taught. The question really is: does it detract enough from the rest of his game to make other blokes a better option? In my view, no.

M

Moono75

Love the thread title. Unfortunately nobody knows the answer, coaching staff included. A year or so out from the RWC and things aren't looking as promising as they could have. The away tests against the Boks and Pumas will tell us plenty.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't understand your post - I'd prefer AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at fullback to both Beale and Folau.

As a separate issue, I feel sorry for Beale due to him being shifted around and thrown to the wolves at Eden PArk. That and me wanting to put AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15 are not mutually exclusive and I don't know why you think they are.

RWCs (at the pointy end) are generally low scoring defensive affairs. I value a fullback strong on defense (kicking, defensive positioning and tackling) and I genuinely think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the most qualified person for that job. His high-ball skills are not exactly shabby, either.

I am not suggesting Folau be removed from the field, he will still have as many opportunities to break tackles as they want to give him.

Having read that & re-read your earlier posts (rather than just AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)..... fullback) I can see your argument. Don't necessarily agree with it, but you make some valid points & I apologise for my initial misapprehension(s) about what you were getting at.

That said, I still don't see room for Folau, Beale & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the same starting XV, regardless of who gets put where.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
What's the pecking order for Wallaby wingers?
In my mind by next year I'd have if available
Speight
O'Connor
Cummins
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Horne
Tomane
In that order

something

Jim Clark (26)
Can someone clarify the main differences between a 6 and a 7 and why it would be a bad idea for pocock to play 6?

for mine, flankers blokes who hang around the ball trying to make a nuisance of themselves at breakdowns. They should be able to do a little bit of lineout work too (which i think pocock could learn).

I don't think its totally inconceivable to play two opensides in a game - especially when they are two of your best players (in form). Forgive my lack of knowledge in this matter but when has it failed before? and were we in the same boat with two gun 7's and an average 6 (no offence to fardy but he hasnt set the world on fire).

I just figure, if pocock comes back all guns blazing i don't want him on the bench. I dont want hooper on the bench either. i'd prefer pocock to slightly tinker his game and play 6. Considering he and hoops games are basically ying and yang i reckon it would be incredibly formidable

Status
Not open for further replies.